Beginner hyperfocal distance and focusing to infinity

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, I was hoping someone could help me out with hyperfocal distance and focusing to infinity?

Are they the same thing?

If not, does someone have an easy to understand guide on both subjects?

much appreciated

When you focus to infinity you are focussing at the furthest distance (ie theoretical infinity) meaning that the distance object will have maximum sharpness. Depending on numerous factors this may or may not mean that the whole frame is in focus, often a lot of the foreground will be out of focus.

When you focus at the hyperfocal distance you are focussing on a specific spot so so that as much as the frame is as 'acceptably' sharp as possible. What I mean by this is that there will always be a zone of critical sharpness (ie that where you focussed) but the rest of the frame is also sharp, often more or less indistinguishable from the zone of critical sharpness. The hyperfocal distance (the zone where you have to focus) will vary depending on sensor size, focal length and aperture. There are numerous online and app calculators for ths

Just to expand on this, hyperfocal is always from a point (dependant on aperture, focal length and acceptable sharpness) up to infinity.

In practice, if your chart and or lens markings give you a distance the lens is et to, acceptable sharpness should be from half that distance up to infinity.

If you set the lens to infinity, then theoretically, half of that range is lost as it's greater than infinity... which doesn't exist!

Steve.

Just to expand on this, hyperfocal is always from a point (dependant on aperture, focal length and acceptable sharpness) up to infinity.

In practice, if your chart and or lens markings give you a distance the lens is et to, acceptable sharpness should be from half that distance up to infinity.

If you set the lens to infinity, then theoretically, half of that range is lost as it's greater than infinity... which doesn't exist!

Steve.
This isn't true for the actual hyperfocal distance (not sure if you meant the actual hyperfocal point though) as the range of acceptable sharpness extends in front and behind (to infinite) the hyperfocal distance.

Back