I’m going to have a go at developing color 4x5 & 8x10 film

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
Today I went and bought a new Chamonix 4x5 View camera to use for travel, I am also going to try developing my own COLOR sheet film both 4x5 and eventually 8x10.

I currently develop my 8x10 B&W in Beseler drums on a unicolor electrical roller one sheet at a time and have got amazing results with that. My 4x5 B&W are done in the MOD54 tanks and I have had reasonable results with that. What I’m thinking is just doing the same process with the color film using the correct C-41 chemicals (I ordered some Tetenal Colortec C-41 from Germany today).
As for controlling temperature I was thinking of doing what I do with my B&W process. I.e. for my B&W I get the chems to 19 deg (Box says 6 1/2 minutes at 20 deg) so I assume the temperature will increase (due to living in a hot climate) so I cut the time to 5 1/2 minutes.
With color I’m thinking put the developer in at 40 degrees and add 1/2 minute to the developing time (Box says 3 1/2 so make it 4 minutes) due to a drop in temperature and then play with the times until I get it right.
What do you guys think???

Neil

I'd go with box time and temperature for the first go. Maybe adjust from there.

I have a vague recollection at the back of my mind that one way to adjust the colour balance with film was to alter the processing temperature; this seems to be the same idea in the Wikipedia article on the C-41 process (paragraph 3 under process). As I don't process colour (apart from slides, years ago) I can't comment, but it might be worth digging around for more reliable information than I can offer.

I have a vague recollection at the back of my mind that one way to adjust the colour balance with film was to alter the processing temperature; this seems to be the same idea in the Wikipedia article on the C-41 process (paragraph 3 under process). As I don't process colour (apart from slides, years ago) I can't comment, but it might be worth digging around for more reliable information than I can offer.
Cheers Steve will do.....................just need to go and shoot some colour film now :0 :) :)

Back