I am a %$%$£ Idiot

Edit My Images
Yes
Been having one or two issues with my pc recently, it is full of crap gathered over a long time, I have two internal HD's 1 TB & 2 TB. I thought I would do a spring or late spring clean and do a clean install, something I've done several times before. So as you do I moved all the files/photos/docs I wanted kept onto D: drive for safekeeping while I do a clean install onto c:drive.

Guess what stoopid ahole partitioned the wrong drive by accident ...yep me:rolleyes::(:( Everything I had on the 2nd drive gone, fortunately I still have a lot up on the cloud Onedrive but still a shed load of stuff lost.
Currently trying Minitool partition wizard to see if it can recover anything.

Note to self; don't reformat pc when tired :runaway:

Fingers crossed you'll be able to recover. A lesson learned the hard way :eek:

Did this once years ago. Disconnect the drive with important things now! If you're careful it should be recoverable.

I've had a couple of drives fail on me in the past. These days I don't chance it. My main data drive is backed up to an external drive and it's also constantly backing up everything to Backblaze so every new file is added as soon as it's created.

Hope you get it back.

Don't feel bad. I formatted my external SSD once instead of my USB stick.

I never did successfully recover the data. I thought I had it all backed up on my time machine, but it was a fairly new drive and I'd forgotten to add it to time machine to backup.:banghead:

Lost all my raw files over a 10 year period. Luckily I had jpg copies in the cloud so at least I still had the images.

Now I have time machine backups, google photos, iCloud backups and back blaze.

Honesty people need to get away from the constant need to reformat every so often and take better care of what program they install and uninstall instead.

Useful advice though don't try and do anything that writes to the drive. If you just formatted it or quick formatted it using Windows dialog the data should be recoverable using one of the usual recommendations. If you used command prompt without the quick option you may be in for a tougher time.

Last edited:
I also did this a couple of years ago on a 4TB drive loaded with utilities I had collected over the years.

Luckily a purchase of RECUVA really saved a lot of the stuff - just took several weeks of sifting through it.

But a real sphincter opener!

Honesty people need to get away from the constant need to reformat every so often and take better care of what program they install and uninstall instead.

Useful advice though don't try and do anything that writes to the drive. If you just formatted it or quick formatted it using Windows dialog the data should be recoverable using one of the usual recommendations. If you used command prompt without the quick option you may be in for a tougher time.

As Neil says quick formatting doesn't wipe the data just resets the index in effect so the data just gets overwritten when you use the drive again - which is why you are always told never to use your camera etc if you accidentally format the memory card.or delete the photos.

Both work in exactly the same way simply marking the sector the deleted data was on as re-usable.

But a full format - or low level format on a camera - will delete all the data making it unrecoverable.

Unfortunately I don't think a partition recovery tool will work as that may also tend to wipe out more of your data.

But Good Luck and commiserations - I know the feeling.

Back