I am doing something wrong...

Edit My Images
Yes
I have had comments some of my portraits seem over sharpened etc, but to my eyes they often look soft still. I use the canon photo professional to conver and adjust the RAW levels, then I open them in elements 6 and usually unsharp and apply smart fix etc.

Is there a surefire way I can know when I have sharpened too much etc as it is really hard to tell when working in elements , I find.

If you want to please 'them' simply take the USM down a couple notches. If you want to please 'you' keep it as is.

I'd beware of auto levels, smart fixes and do -it-all one button filters, because they just don't work. Each image is different and needs it's own treatment

Posting an example would help, but USM applied in small increments is one of the safest ways to sharpen. Keep an eye on halos or other sharpening artifacts appearing, such as highlights looking very unnatural. As soon as that starts to happen go to Edit and undo the last sharpening step or two and you should be around the optimum.

I'd agree with CT. To much automation can lead to problems especially with preset values.

I'd simply use unsharp mask, but do it on a layer. This way if you overdo it you can reduce the opacity and smooth things out.

Sharpening should be the last part of any PP procedure and only applied once. Remember also that many printers will also apply sharpening at the printing stage, so bear this in mind when preparing an image for printing.

Sharpening is a big part of your workflow. A lot depends whether your shooting raw or jpeg, jpeg's are sharpened in camera, raw usually isn't, if your adding a lot of sharpening to a jpeg it might start to show.
You should always view your images at 100% when sharpening, otherwise you might not be seeing the full effect, generally prints will stand a higher level of sharpening than the web, although as said some printers will add sharpening.
One way out of your problem would be to mildly sharpen the whole print, then selectivly sharpen the eyes (some people will dodge and burn them slightly to add attention as well) quiet easily done in photoshop.
One last point, you are focusing on the eyes arn't you? Wayne

Yes Wayne. My intention is always to get the eyes sharp.
Just so new to this pp stuff and I am not always that good at judging the right levels of everything, which is frustrating.

Back