I am so confused!

Name
Lucy-Tuesday
Edit My Images
No
Hello everyone!

I hope someone can give me advice, because I'm running around in circles! :)

I am a complete newbie, looking to make a serious venture into the DSLR world. I have been looking for a while now, and I've come down to two choices, either the Nikon D40 for 239 quid or a Sony A200 @ 259. Wherever I go, people are suggesting other models for different reasons and its getting frustrating! I am inclined not to listen to the salespeople as they obviously have a hidden agenda! :bonk: So Im looking to you guys to share your words of wisdom. Obviously I want the best for my money and scope to by lenses/accessories easily.

I would appreciate anything anyone has to say!

Thanks guys(y)

Lucy

Welcome to the forum.

Speaking as a relatively newbie myself, I can fully recommend the D40 as a perfect 'starter camera' (I have the D40x but they're essentially the same camera). It's incredibly easy to use and the settings and menus aren't too bewildering and perfect to get to grips with what everything does.

I can't however speak for the Sony.

With regards to lenses, try and identify what it is you're going to be taking pictures of (portrait shots, landscapes, close up work etc...) and then we'll be able to suggest suitable lenses for you :)

Best of luck with it all

Dave

I don't think you'll be dissapointed with either of those. My advice is try and get your hands on them both and see which feels more comfortable. The image quality of both is terrific so just go for the one you feel happiest with.

how have you narrowed it down to them two, is this by holding and trialing them or the price?

if you havent already, have a good feel of each and have a play around. you may find you dislike one down to the feel.

as for which is best, that a difficult one. nikon is obviously bigger in the DSLR world, but i think the sony can use all the old minolta fit lenses.

what do you want to take pictures of?

I don't think you'll be dissapointed with either of those. My advice is try and get your hands on them both and see which feels more comfortable. The image quality of both is terrific so just go for the one you feel happiest with.

:agree:

Its easy to over think these things - just go out and give them both a try and see what you like!

The final choice must be yours based on what you feel is comfortable and suits you.

I have a Sony A300 and am very impressed.

I suggest you look into lenses, flashes and other accessories you may need later and compare what's available for each. Check out some of the older Minolta lenses which fit the Sony system. Some of them are fabulous, even at 20 years old.

Having said that, Nikons will be similar albeit without image stabilisation which you get in the Sony bidy

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies guys! I know you've heard it all before!
I would really like to get into portrait photography, but obviously would like to have the option to do other photography as well (landscape etc) I was dead set on the D40, but a salesman mentioned that lenses are quite hard to get hold of?

I must say, that the D40 feels very comfy in the hand, but the Sony also feels rather nice.

Have a read here

Short version - all DSLRs are good. buy the one you like.

nikon lensesare pretty easy to comeby. just check out jessops and warehouse express websites, fair few in stock. if oyu are talking bout the professional range, they are out there but not as common due to cost

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies guys! I know you've heard it all before!
I would really like to get into portrait photography, but obviously would like to have the option to do other photography as well (landscape etc) I was dead set on the D40, but a salesman mentioned that lenses are quite hard to get hold of?

I must say, that the D40 feels very comfy in the hand, but the Sony also feels rather nice.

I guess he was talking about how the D40 doesn't have a an internal motor like more expensive Nikon models. This means most of the older Nikon lenses would only be manual focus on the D40, but there are still plenty of choices that will work.

Both Nikon and Sony are good cams but Nikon will give you a greater choice of lenses.

aul

Both Nikon and Sony are good cams but Nikon will give you a greater choice of lenses.

aul
Are you sure about that?
The D40 is quite limited on the Nikon lenses it can use (Required the lens to have a focus motor) and the Sony can use many of the Minolta lenses...

Are you sure about that?
The D40 is quite limited on the Nikon lenses it can use (Required the lens to have a focus motor) and the Sony can use many of the Minolta lenses...

no the older lenses will work in manual focus so not limited.
Manual focusis how we all used to do it and is not dificult.

no the older lenses will work in manual focus so not limited.
Manual focusis how we all used to do it and is not dificult.

Patronising ftw.

Maybe I should have been more specific, the D40 is limited in which Nikon lenses it can gain full functionality from.

I know manual focus is not hard but so someone just starting out?

After your comments, I decided to pop back to my local camera shop, where they will do a deal for me for the Sony A200, with 4gb Compact Flash and a bag @ 289. That seems a good price to me.

One of my friends just got a pretty simialr deal on a A200 and he has been chuffed to bits with it, if your happy with the feel of the camera then I'd go for it (y)

Welcome to TP! :wave:

All I can say is;
Don't be too drawn in by their "great" deals. I ended up paying "just an extra £19.99" for my 4gb SDHC card, "half price!!!"......only to find the same one available on the net for £8. and they offered me a bag for an extra £45 that you can get online for £9.99

Check the price of accessories too to make sure you don't get lured into parting with more cash than needed. ;)

As for first-hand experience, I love my D40 to bits, and would recommend to anyone looking to spend around 250mark. Don't think you'd regret either though! I was in the exactly same predicament as you in November.
(y)

After your comments, I decided to pop back to my local camera shop, where they will do a deal for me for the Sony A200, with 4gb Compact Flash and a bag @ 289. That seems a good price to me.

lucytb...is your local camera shop the cardiff camera centre?if so,they will look after you well in there.as robertp said...all DSLR's are good,and without sounding like a sony-ite,you'll get a lot more for your money with the A200 with the in built image stabilisation(super steady shot),and the inbuilt motor for auto focus.sony are however,quite new to the DSLR market(they bought minolta's camera division 3 years ago),and although their accessory catalogue is nowhere near that of canon or nikons..it is getting better with plenty to satisfy most togs..plus you have all the AF lens' from Konica minolta that work on the alpha bodies....plus 3rd party lens from sigma and tamron etc...

what is important however,is how the camera feels,menu's etc...so make sure your happy with choice and have fun (y)

lucytb...is your local camera shop the cardiff camera centre?

Yes it is the Camera Centre, I felt that he was the most honest sales person out of all the shops I've been to and obviously I would prefer to give my money to a small family run company rather than Argos/Curry's etc.

Thanks for everyone's help! Hopefully will post some pics in the future! (y)

Back