I am so upset...

Edit My Images
No
I don't know what i did with my camera, but i took some amazing shots today, for the first time in the whole month that i've taken pictures i was actually proud, but i tried transferring them to my laptop via SD and they didn't show, then i used a cable and they showed as this:

2wp0b2w.jpg

What does this mean, why are the files so huge and why aren't they RAW or JPEG, the setting on my Camera say RAW. Will i be able to convert the file type or will i lose these pictures?

Help :(

Hi, Those are the 450d RAW files. That's about the right size and .CR2 is the file extension for the Canon Raw format. You can use Digital Photo Professional that came with the camera to convert them to JPG, or if you have PS or Lightroom, they should be able to also. If you're trying to use the Windows thingy for downloading images it won't work, as windows doesn't understand .CR2 files as images. I use Aperture on a Mac now, but I have used ZoomBrowserEx (free with the camera_ amongst others to transfer the images.

HTH

I tried opening the files in Photoshop, it didn't work, it said it's not the correct file type.

xSitara™;1312381 said:
I tried opening the files in Photoshop, it didn't work, it said it's not the correct file type.

this should help you out Acr

Glad you're up and running, I'm looking forward to seeing those shots too

When you open the image in PS, the camera raw converter will open. It's full of sliders, these adjust the raw image, brightness, contrast saturation etc. you don't have to change any of them. Personally, I normally boost up the contrast and clarity (local contrast I think), a bit of vibrance (I think this brightens duller colours). You can just change them a little or a lot. Move them around a bit and see what happens. Aim for something you like the look of. Then the simplest option, once opened, Image, Mode 8bit. Image, Image Size, set the longest side to 800 pixels (that's the limit on here). File Save as, make sure you select jpeg in the drop down list, save the file and upload. There's rafts more you can do, a lot of which I for one haven't got to grips with and understand, but you don't need to do those, although you may get some suggestions on the basis of the images uploaded.

HTH and get's you going to start with.

I don't know how to do that adobe convert thing and i tried doing it through my canon software too but i have no idea :/ The only thing possible is print screen at this point.

When you open the image in PS, the camera raw converter will open. It's full of sliders, these adjust the raw image, brightness, contrast saturation etc. you don't have to change any of them. Personally, I normally boost up the contrast and clarity (local contrast I think), a bit of vibrance (I think this brightens duller colours). You can just change them a little or a lot. Move them around a bit and see what happens. Aim for something you like the look of. Then the simplest option, once opened, Image, Mode 8bit. Image, Image Size, set the longest side to 800 pixels (that's the limit on here). File Save as, make sure you select jpeg in the drop down list, save the file and upload. There's rafts more you can do, a lot of which I for one haven't got to grips with and understand, but you don't need to do those, although you may get some suggestions on the basis of the images uploaded.

HTH and get's you going to start with.

I tried opening the files n ps, other people are saying that ps cs2 doesn't support RAW files.

I have this

vox2r6.jpg

At the moment i can't figure out anything.

top left where it says file does it give you an option save as jpeg

the winzip file you downloaded will have 2 files inside adobe dng and camera raw.If you extract these 2 files using winzip to a new folder on your desktop.

then double click my computer,local disk, program files, common files, adobe, plugins, (the next folder mines CS3),file formats

you should find a file called camera raw if you right click on this and select cut

then minimize that window so your back on desktop right click again and select paste

then open the new folder where you extracted the downloaded files right click the camera raw file select copy

maximize the window "file formats" and right click and paste

then start photoshop and select edit / preferences / file handling and tick the box prefer adobe camera for supported raw files

Hopefully that will help you out I use cs3 but I think it should be the same

I have CS2 maybe that's why it's not working.

I don't believe that CS2 can open 450d raw files. In which case you can either use DPP as you have in your screen shot, or convert the CR2 files to DNG (Digital NeGative) first using the Adobe DNG, then load them into PS.

The other option, from the screen you show above (the settings there are basically taking the in camera settings (I think) and applying them to the RAW to make a JPG, is to use File Develop (this will save the files as jpgs). If you want to you can make changes using the sliders.

I don't believe that CS2 can open 450d raw files. In which case you can either use DPP as you have in your screen shot, or convert the CR2 files to DNG (Digital NeGative) first using the Adobe DNG, then load them into PS.

The other option, from the screen you show above (the settings there are basically taking the in camera settings (I think) and applying them to the RAW to make a JPG, is to use File Develop (this will save the files as jpgs). If you want to you can make changes using the sliders.

Ok i'm gonna try this <3 Please don't go to sleep yet :(

Ok guys i would just like to say that i have just figured it out, converting in photoshop is impossible so i just have to do it via DPP, but mteam and jgs i love you guys <3

xSitara™;1312460 said:
Ok guys i would just like to say that i have just figured it out, converting in photoshop is impossible so i just have to do it via DPP, but mteam and jgs i love you guys <3

I'll look for the pics tomorrow (y)

off to bed now :wave:

Jack

If you read in the download page you will find this "The Camera Raw 4.6 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS3 or versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 5.0 for Windows and Photoshop Elements 4.01 for Mac. "
didnt you say you were using cs2?

Oops sorry just reread your post must have skipped a few :) I can see you have noticed its because you are using CS2

xSitara™;1312460 said:

Excellent, I'll look for the pics tomorrow also ... Photoshop is a little more tricky to get the images to, although it's worth it. There's a couple of ways to do it (I think...:thinking:), but I'll have to have a play with DPP at some point before I can write that up.

I'll look for the pics tomorrow (y)

off to bed now :wave:

Jack
Thanks alot, i really appreciate your help, if there's anything i can do please feel free to ask :D
If you read in the download page you will find this "The Camera Raw 4.6 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS3 or versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 5.0 for Windows and Photoshop Elements 4.01 for Mac. "
didnt you say you were using cs2?

Yes i did say i have CS2, but i didn't read all that :(

If you want to use your CS2 then download the Adobe DNG converter and convert your raws to DNG. You can then do your stuff with CS2.

I don't know which is the last Camera Raw version to work with CS2, but if you can find that then you'll have as good as you're going to get without moving on to CS3/4.

Tring - been there a few times many decades ago. Memorable for a Chinese takeaway severely poisoning me. Later read in news that many dead cats found hanging up in back.

Back