I bet no one has ever asked this before ... honest!! Upgrade question.

Edit My Images
No
Hi folks.

I currently own two camera bodies - both Canon - 5Dmk2 and 7D. I am extremely happy with both, but ....

I use my 7D alongside my 100-400 mk1 lens for wildlife shots. In lower light conditions (think 1600 - 3200 ISO) I'm definitely noticing noise.

A mate has recommended upgrading to Sony mirrorless - which is something I had been considering for a while. Said mate also mentioned the MC11 Sigma converter ring to use my Canon lenses.

So, my questions:-

1. What would be a decent upgrade? Main criteria is little noise at higher ISO's, at least 6-7fps and not massive budget. I am more than happy to buy second hand.
2. In real terms, how much slower does the converter make the AF system? I also do a lot of aviation photography, so need it to be usable!

***EDIT*** I should also add I'd be interested in hearing about Canon updates too.

Any ideas - recommendations on a sensible upgrade very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Anth

Last edited:
As an ex canon user (I switched to Fuji to save weight) I would look at Canon upgrades-5D3/4 and /or 7D Mk2 unless you had a very good reason to move away from Canon bodies

I think I'd agree with Troutfisher. Upgrade to a Canon 5d4 and you will really notice the difference. You'll get less reach than with the 7d1 but much more cropability. I was in your position a few years ago and the 5d3 made a real difference. The Mk2 version of your lens would also help or a Sigma / Tamron 15 - 600 zoom. All this assumes you have other Canon lenses you want to hang on to.

Upgrade to 7Dii and 5Diii/iv.

The 7D ii is much better than the 7D ii IMHO. Modern noise reduction software makes it even better.

I cannot comment at all about Sony and my 5D experience is based on 5Di and iii. Depends on your main use and if you need the extra reach of a crop senso.

1. What would be a decent upgrade? Main criteria is little noise at higher ISO's, at least 6-7fps and not massive budget. I am more than happy to buy second hand.
2. In real terms, how much slower does the converter make the AF system? I also do a lot of aviation photography, so need it to be usable!

1. I haven't used Canon since my 5D2 so I won't suggest which bodies make sense there but if you're OK with second hand it might be worth looking at a used Sony A7 III, very cheap for what you get and it'll get cheaper still if we see an A7 IV this year.

2. It's not so much that it makes the AF slower when adapted but it's not as consistent and it varies wildly by lens, a modern lens can almost feel native but I'd say that's more the exception than the rule. Being able to adapt lenses is a huge advantage but I wouldn't want to do so with ones I intend to use on a regular basis if they're auto focus.

2 other options - both cheaper I expect.

1. Invest in Topaz Denoise.

or

2. Invest in DXO package which includes deep prime.

I found Denoise v useful using my (crop sensor) D500.

I've only just got DXO so can't give any feedback yet.

I upgraded from a 5D2 to a 5D4 some years ago and the improvement is very significant. However, I have bought a Sony A6600 to reduce weight now. I have bought the Sigma converter which would allow me to use my Canon lenses on the Sony but do not plan to do so normally as this will not help with the weight issue. The noise from the Sony is a little higher than the 5D4 for the same ISO but nothing that Topaz Denoise AI cannot cope with.

Dave

As a Sony user I’d say stick with Canon unless you having some pressing desire to try Sony. If you want to go down the mirrorless route then the R6 and R5 are great options and will come down in price if you’re willing to wait.

Just a thought does the 5Dmk4 AF at f8, ( it looks as if it does) then you could get a Mk4 and a 1.4TC and get the same ( ish) reach as you get with your 7d on the 100-400

I've been round this loop myself - went from 5Dii and 7Di to a Sony A7Rii with the MC11. Basically for anything fast moving the Sony doesn't cut it with adapted Canon lenses - it's simply not fast or consistent enough. Fine with Sony lenses, but that wasn't the point for me, or for you either I expect. I sold the Sony and went for a Canon EOS R and it felt like coming home. The Canon EF lenses on the EF-R adapter are faster to AF than they were on the older Canon DSLRs. I would imagine the EOS R5 and R6 would be even better but not tried those (can't afford to at the moment!), but the original EOS R does everything I need.

I've been round this loop myself - went from 5Dii and 7Di to a Sony A7Rii with the MC11. Basically for anything fast moving the Sony doesn't cut it with adapted Canon lenses - it's simply not fast or consistent enough. Fine with Sony lenses, but that wasn't the point for me, or for you either I expect. I sold the Sony and went for a Canon EOS R and it felt like coming home. The Canon EF lenses on the EF-R adapter are faster to AF than they were on the older Canon DSLRs. I would imagine the EOS R5 and R6 would be even better but not tried those (can't afford to at the moment!), but the original EOS R does everything I need.
I don't think the A7Rii has the best AF anyway, and not with adapted lenses. You really want the A7iii or newer. I believe the Metabones adapter is also better than the MC11, but happy to be told otherwise. However, as you say the Canon EF-R adapter is near as damn it as fast as native.

Hi folks. Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Sorry I've been a while replying - been looking, reading and busy - so haven't answered each comment as it's come in - but all are appreciated thank you.

After further research, I think I'm agreeing with most of you that sticking with Canon is the logical choice. I've invested quite a bit into Canon L glass over the years and I'm happy with my lens setup. The fact that the Sonys are temperamental with some lenses doesn't fill me with confidence.

So, looking at Canon, I am so out of the loop I've had to do a little research to see what's actually out there!!!!! My main options seem to be the 5D3 / 5D4 if I go FF, or 7dmk2 / 80D / 90D if I stay with a crop.

The 5D3 / D4 does attract me massively as both look like excellent upgrades and cameras. My 5dmk2 has been (and continues to be!) and absolute beast and loyal camera throughout the many years I've had it.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who could highlight / compare the pros and cons of the 7d2, 80d and 90d. From what I've read, the 7dmk2 has the best AF out of all of those? This could be an instrumental factor my passions - planes and wildlife photography.

Okay folks - any comments or advice on next steps? I'd be very interested in hearing them.

Many thanks.

Anth.

At least have a look at Canon mirrorless + an adapter for your DSLR lenses. If this choice is in budget.

At least have a look at Canon mirrorless + an adapter for your DSLR lenses. If this choice is in budget.
Agree with this. On the DSLRs the AF is limited by the effective aperture of the lens, but the mirrorless cameras cope much better with a smaller aperture. For example I have a 300mm f4 L and a 2x converter which won't AF at all on my old (and now sold) DSLRs, but my EOS-R manages very happily. In terms of sensor and processing electronics, the EOS-R apparently uses the same as the 5Div, or the R6 is the equivalent of the 1DXiii so they're very capable cameras.

Back