i blame Sue ( whooshdemon )

Edit My Images
No
in the nicest possible way ..
she pointed out to me a bit about developing film in coffee .ok im up for it ,,so i went out with the em and a roll of ilford hp5plus in it , and just to make things even more silly i pushed it two stops as well . so i got me ingrediments ( yes i know ) together , and i was ready ,,,well almost *** it needs the caffeine to make it work and my coffee was without so i thought pg tips granules ,like you do ,

DSC_0002_Medium_1.JPG

so take this lot out to the darkroom

DSC_0004_Medium_1.JPG

and come back in with it like this

DSC_0005_Medium_.JPG

right just check the fixer , ah after dunking some leader in it for a minute this

DSC_0007_Medium_1.JPG

its naff , so make some more up and after thirty seconds in the fresh fixer this

DSC_0009_Medium_.JPG

now thats better , right make up the developer ,,yuk it looks like bum gravy

DSC_0010_Medium_.JPG

anyway all set to go now ,,,,,,,,,,,,

now the only trouble with making the developer was ,, i didnt have any idea of how many teaspoons of pg tips to put in ,,,so i used twelve ounces of water ,,,and just to make it easy , i bunged in twelve spoonfuls ,,,same with the soda just chucked in three ,,*** it seemed like a good idea ( at the time ) ,, and how long to develope it for ? well in keeping with my precise measurements ,forty-five minutes sounded like three quarters of an hour , so thats sorted then . and dont forget to shake it about a bit every now and again as well,,,,,,after the aloted? time i rinsed it out with fresh water before stopping then fixing for four minutes
DSC_0012_Medium_.JPG

DSC_0013_Medium_1.JPG

DSC_0014_Medium_1.JPG

well thats it then ,,,,,so did it work ?

well yes it did and here are two of the pics

tonge_mill_Medium_.jpg

boat_Medium_.jpg

i didnt think it would work , and the lesson from all this ??? if you want to push film two stops dont develope it in pg tips ,,, use microphen....

Well, those came out all right :clap:

You mad scientist, you! :nuts:

I'm going to try this on my next batch of 35mm B&W.

i dont think ilford have to worry just yet .but it was kind of interesting ,,to say the least

Your horizon is way off....................................................:D

And the border doesn't suit.

A tip for ya try Mellow birds for a weak look or Nescafe All gold for the high contrast look.

thanks for the tip ,,,i cant help it if the world slopes to one side and what border ?

You really have no idea how much I've just laughed at this!

Isn't film brilliant.

I think I'll keep the Alta Rica out of the darkroom though, I'd hate to get the ID11 and the coffee mixed up. My other half would never forgive me contaminating the coffee. :wacky:

Thanks for the pics, such a laugh.:love:

I still can't comprehend this .. you used coffee to develop a film? and what did you use for printing paper? Pasta sheets?

This must be the weirdest thing I've read on any photography forum ... where did you get the idea to do this, again?

And the shots, both are really wonderful (y)

I still can't comprehend this .. you used coffee to develop a film? and what did you use for printing paper? Pasta sheets?

This must be the weirdest thing I've read on any photography forum ... where did you get the idea to do this, again?

And the shots, both are really wonderful (y)

the idea came from whooshdemon ( Sue ) she pointed it out to me in another thread ( still in film and conventional ) it said use coffee , its the caffeine that starts the developing , but i only had pg tpis granules ,so it was my own recipe . to be honest i wish i hadnt pushed the film to iso 1600 , because most of the negs came out really thin . i think i'll try again ,,with a nikon fm2n and try and get the exposures as near as possible spot on . and use maxwell house instead :D

You really have no idea how much I've just laughed at this!

Isn't film brilliant.

I think I'll keep the Alta Rica out of the darkroom though, I'd hate to get the ID11 and the coffee mixed up. My other half would never forgive me contaminating the coffee. :wacky:

Thanks for the pics, such a laugh.:love:

sorry how many sugars in your id11?:LOL:

honestly, you go for for a coffee in the morning and by the afternoon someone is blaming/crediting you for some act of their genius.

what can i say...

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

(apparently the "woots" are limited to ten, but I would have put up more if possible).

so glad it worked out so well - getting pics on your first go with no recipe. think the wonky horizons can be fixed if you try less alcohol in the mix (you as the photographer, not the developer).

the idea came from whooshdemon ( Sue ) she pointed it out to me in another thread ( still in film and conventional ) it said use coffee , its the caffeine that starts the developing , but i only had pg tpis granules ,so it was my own recipe . to be honest i wish i hadnt pushed the film to iso 1600 , because most of the negs came out really thin . i think i'll try again ,,with a nikon fm2n and try and get the exposures as near as possible spot on . and use maxwell house instead :D

I am sure, the next time around your coffee-developed pictures will have a whole new flavour to them :p:p

Thanks for sharing this ... and I will sure dig-up that thread and give it a go myself.

i must admit i do prefer tea ( sorry LL ) but i'll give coffee a go

donut try kenko with nout taken out I think you will get more contrast with the right mix

i must admit it felt like i was on the titanic rather than the ark when i was doing it

( L.L. reference )

meant to ask - did it smell better than normal developing?
did it smell better than a normal breakfast?

didnt really notice the smell ,,,but it didnt half burn the back of my throat when i drank it ,,,must have been the washing soda ,,,,,

Back