I bought a s/h Teleconverter and think it broke my Camera

Caerus

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a word of warning about an awful experience I had with a teleconverter I bought on here.

On first use it literally broke my D800 and cost £250 to fit.

Never in my life again would I put a teleconverter again.

Not saying it will happen to you but it absolutely sucked.

I’m curious how that happened?

Somehow broke the connection between lens and body. The viewfinder went really dark looking and the lens would just hunt and never get AF on anything.

Strangely my 50mm 1.8 was unaffected but 3 other primes and a 70-200 were affected

Which teleconverter?

Never heard of that before and I have used many over the years all brands ,Nikon,canon,sigma,kenko etc never yet had a problem ..Sod’s law I suppose if you got a duff one .., but are you 100% certain the t.c caused it .. ?

Never heard of that before and I have used many over the years all brands ,Nikon,canon,sigma,kenko etc never yet had a problem ..Sod’s law I suppose if you got a duff one .., but are you 100% certain the t.c caused it .. ?

Yes it was instant, literally as soon as I put it on the camera and I was very careful and gentle with it. gutted

I’m curious how that happened?
Me too. I fit all sorts of weird adapters to my cameras & have very rarely had any issues, a couple of more unusual adapters have taken 10 minutes to remove but never more than that.

@Caerus Are you sure it was a Nikon fit teleconverter? It's possible to get Pentax ones onto a Nikon bayonet & if you force it you would do damage...

I’d be interested to hear which one it was. The rear connection for teleconverters should be the same as a lens. It should be like mounting a lens to the camera.

It sounds like the aperture arm was damaged and the camera couldn’t open the aperture up. Was that was repaired?

I've been a Nikon user for over thirty years and have used teleconverters extensively, never heard of such a problem. If the indexing marks are aligned correctly there should be no problems. Trying to mount a teleconverter on a lens which isn't designed to receive it would cause problems especially if forced. Another thing to look out for is if the female protection cap(from the TC) is put into the teleconverter without it being aligned correctly can be a problem and it's possible to get it stuck! I'm wondering if the teleconverter was damaged before you tried to fit it to your lens! Honestly can't think of any other explanation.

I’d be interested to hear which one it was. The rear connection for teleconverters should be the same as a lens. It should be like mounting a lens to the camera.

It sounds like the aperture arm was damaged and the camera couldn’t open the aperture up. Was that was repaired?

Im sure it was the Nikon AF-S TC-14E II from memory.

It fitted onto the camera like a lens but did feel more stiff than usual.

Cant remember, im sure it was some module or other they changed

do you still have the t.c ? if not why not ? your descriptions sound rather lacking in user knowledge i.e some module or other they changed . you should from any repairer get a full breakdown of work carried out /parts replaced etc ... sorry to sound harsh but gut feeling says we are not getting the full story here

do you still have the t.c ? if not why not ? your descriptions sound rather lacking in user knowledge i.e some module or other they changed . you should from any repairer get a full breakdown of work carried out /parts replaced etc ... sorry to sound harsh but gut feeling says we are not getting the full story here

It was ages ago, I returned the TC to the seller on here telling them what had happened and they denied it was their TC even though it clearly instantly broke my camera.

Im just having a rant today because well, im not sure why really. I did not expect so many responses

The thread title is misleading it’s clearly not an issue with tc’s just the one that you had or indeed your camera at the time. Mounting a lens could also have caused it as the tc shares the same ‘contact’ point.

The thread title is misleading it’s clearly not an issue with tc’s just the one that you had or indeed your camera at the time. Mounting a lens could also have caused it as the tc shares the same ‘contact’ point.

ok thanks for you input, report it if you want

No disrespect intended but honestly this sounds like a bit of a pointless rant, unfortunately your lack of information and lack of clarity means this thread isn't really much use, all it will do is leave folks guessing! There is certainly nothing inherent in the design of teleconverters that will damage a camera/lens providing one doesn't try and fit one inappropriately !

Teleconverters don’t do much. The lens elements just magnify the image. All on the electrical contacts are through contacts so should pose an issue. The aperture arm should just be a mechanical link between the camera and lens.

You have only been a member for 14 months, so it was not that long ago.

Too long to remember the exact electronics part name a service centre changed.

Anyway im done with this thread, people are near on accusing me of lying lol.

Im just having a rant today because well, im not sure why really. I did not expect so many responses

I think there is intrigue into what was the cause and how it happened because of little initial information.

It sounds like it was likely a one off event and you were quite unlucky. Generally all teleconverters aren’t inherently faulty. There are way they could potentially cause a fault if there is a connection issue or a short circuit but generally are safe to use as long as Nikon say that the lens and teleconverter are compatible.

Until recently I’ve used all of Nikon’s teleconverters on and off for going on 5-6 years. When teleconverters are used on the right lenses they are a great addition and give extra reach at a small cost.

Forums are a hard place to sometimes understand how people are saying something. I’d like to think no one on here accused you of actually lying but didn’t really understand what the issue was.

Can I ask what lens you used it on? So far we know it’s a Nikon 1.4 mk2 teleconverter on a D800.

Nikon provide a compatibility chart. It’s quite shocking how few lenses they recommend for use with teleconverters.

https://cdn-5.nikon-cdn.com/Assets/...eleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html

Last edited:
You have only been a member for 14 months, so it was not that long ago.
There's no reason why the failure should be while Caerus was a member here. I know I took photos for decades before joining.

Only that he says he bought it from the classified section.
Just a word of warning about an awful experience I had with a teleconverter I bought on here.

I wouldn't have thought mounting it to the wrong lens would cause issues with other lenses though . my guess is there was possibly a problem already starting to occur with the camera and either incorrect fitting or mounting it on the wrong lens pushed it past critical .
as the OP says he no longer has all the relevant paperwork or object to ascertain the facts so we are just in a guessing game . perhaps who ever sold him the t.c will be able to shed more light on this if they read it .
cameras do unfortunately develop faults ...that keeps the repair companies in business ipso facto

I wouldn't have thought mounting it to the wrong lens would cause issues with other lenses though
As i mentioned above: if the screw drive seized it could have taken out the motor or its control circuits. Beyond that I can't think what else would damage the camera.

Based on the scant info sounds like the mount on the TC was 'buggered'... you could drop the lens or camera plus lens and suddenly the lens won't attach to the camera anywhere near as easily as it did before..... I do have a lens (still!) that had a distorted mount but that was an inexpensive fix by Pentax and it's been no problem since.

The camera itself was a used one bought on here in January Last year . . The OP also states it was a Nikon 1.4 tc .. but no mention yet of the lens .. best imho to this one down to experience

Sorry camera bought on here jan 13th 2020 , the mystery deepens !

Last edited:

It WAS. It's not anymore :)

Yeah, odd thread, if it was ages ago why now the rant? it's also abnormal, I used Nikon Tcs [both 1.4 and 1.7x] and never had any issues, as have tonnes of others. This was either a duff TC you bought or your camera was duffed somehow, and a while back. SO why now?

Back