Beginner I can almost reach out and touch it... *Realistic* photos thread :)

Edit My Images
No
This thread is for photographs that feel like one can almost touch the pictured objects behind the screen. I should immediately say that this kind of photography is an ideal that I am striving for and not necessarily something that was already achieved, certainly not in my modest attempts. Thus, criticism and hints on how any particular picture/aspect could be improved to make the object "more real" would be very welcome :)

If somebody more experienced decides to share general advice or start a discussion on this matter - that is fine too...

Otherwise, just upload the pictures that you feel meet the "I feel I can almost reach out and touch it" criteria best - could be picture of a landscape, pack of cigarettes etc :)

Here is one of my best attempts:

Strangely, same scene, same camera-settings different photo looses that "in there" quality in my other shot, and I've no idea why :(
https://flic.kr/p/CtuXC7

Last edited:
just lift the shadows and mid tones for a start - 10 secs

helli.jpg

Come on people! :)

The inspiration for the title was a story that I've heard in a lecture from Leo Tolstoy's great-grandson (Artemiy Lebedev, a now famous designer). He said that he was really into his photography early in his life, and decided to study under some photography grandmaster supreme. When this great photographer met poor Artemiy for the first time, he said: "ok, if you want to learn from me, here is the entrance exam. Take this pack of cigarettes and photograph it in such a way that I'd feel I could reach out and take it from the photo". Artemiy then realised just how pitiful his skills were after all, he quit photography and went into design instead.

EDIT: I forgot to add that the story took place in the nineties, so no Lightroom or youtube tutorials back then :)

So yeah, would be nice to see which photos you feel meet the criteria best, and maybe read about some "how to"s... :)

Last edited:
How to - they just love to eat anything, including yellow Nikon straps .......... I'm told that Canons are difficult to swallow

f8, but I cannot remember now if this is the correct colour!
touch_5.jpg

Last edited:
not a good image technically, because of this and that, but it could be better

not what the theme really intended .. but another take

touch_3.jpg

Last edited:
not a good image technically, because of this and that, but it could be better

not what the theme really intended .. but another take

touch_3.jpg

This would look really nice in b/w or sepia. Nice shot. Better than that other one you did of two birds in a bush ;-)

Back