I can't work the darn thing

Name
Lucy
Edit My Images
Yes
...but I'm having fun trying :LOL:

Thanks to Tony (fraggle101) on here, I now own a Canon EOS 400D with 18-55mm kit lens plus a Canon something something 80-200mm and a Canon something something 28-80mm or other :LOL: Put it this way, I have no idea what I'm doing and out of about 150 shots, I have 4 that are keepers! Even they aren't great but I thought I'd share anyway :LOL:

Went to the local forest with my girls and the OH and spent 2 hours having a good play with the kit putting it on all settings possible and having a fiddle with the manual settings too - these are the only 4 shots that were in focus...pmsl!!!

Hazelborough044.jpg

F/stop 4
ISO 400
Exposure time 1/20 sec
Focal length 40mm

Hazelborough045.jpg

F/stop 3.5
ISO 400
Exposure time 1/25 sec
Focal length 28mm

Hazelborough084.jpg

F/stop 4
ISO 400
Exposure time 1/60 sec
Focal length 28mm

I quite liked how the reflection was the main focal point in the icy puddle (even though you'll all probably gasp in horror at the shame of me actually posting it lol)

Hazelborough032.jpg

F/stop 4.5
ISO 400
Exposure time 1/20 sec
Focal length 46mm

Onwards and upwards as they say!

Any comments are of course welcome.....not that I'll know what you are on about :bang: :wacky: :LOL:

Keep plugging girl.. your on the right lines.. its not so easy but you'll get it..

OK, not the most technical of shots (I did gasp when I saw the last one:LOL:.).

But listen, you are obviously having fun and this is what photography is all about. You get enjoyment out of taking the pics and then viewing/showing them. Everything else is incidental.

Keep goin':woot::woot:

hey, we all gotta start somewhere, I'm still trying to figure it all out too, if I can reduce the delete/keep ratio to 2:1 i'll be happy...... I actually think the puddle is the best of the bunch, could do with some levels and contrast adjustments to make it stand out a bit more though

if I can reduce the delete/keep ratio to 2:1 i'll be happy......

That's a huge hit rate - mine is probably 10:1 (ie take:keep) and it may even be worse than that.

The first 2 dog pics aren't too bad, but they're a bit soft and probably out of focus a bit. Try an concentrate on focussing on the eyes. They would also be better if you had a lower viewpoint - get down and dirty :)

MV

I know all about this, I get them wrong all the time too!

Two things to do:
1. make sure you are standing & holding the camera in approved manner, somebody here will have a link to explain it
2. get the shutter speed faster, 1/20 second is way slow,

my shooting routine should go something like

set to Av (generally)

select aperture for required depth of field (use black magic or a big book of tables, if in doubt use f8 or f11, if you want a decent big depth of field f18 or f22, if you want really short depth of field f4ish)

if subject is stationary select focus to one shot (and usually I set to centre focus point only), if subject moving then select ai servo and all focus points (ignore ai focus)

if subject is lit as part of general scene then select evaluative metering, if using one shot and the subject is lit noticeably differently (bright patch or dark area) then select partial metering

aim focus point at subject
half click, dont worry if you full click, its digital so doesnt cost you

look at shutter speed produced (in viewfinder or quick look at screen), if necessary adjust iso up/down to get best shutter speed :
- if handheld always faster than 1/50th
- unless leaning against something when 1/10th at a push,
- ideally always 1/focal length being used or faster
- if its moving try for 1/100 (preferably 1/200) or faster,
But changing iso affects picture quality, so for landscapy stuff with lots of detail or shots with large areas of uniform colour (indoors plain walls, cars, whatever) that will show sensor noise then keep iso below 400
if you cant do it with iso then consider adjusting aperture too, smaller aperture number = bigger physical aperture = smaller depth of field = faster shutter speed

should now have a roughly suitable shutter speed and aperture for the shot

point at subject, half click, if subject is off centre AND you're using one shot then hold button halfway and if necessary rearrange shot, it'll hold the focus and metering from when you start half pressing the shutter, when in the right position complete the shutter press.
If you're on ai servo, eg dog leaping around, then point, pray & click fully, hopefully the focus system will do the job.

take loads of pictures, pack up, examine results and at this point you'll remember which bit you forgot to do and swear.

I'm no expert, I've been doing it wrong for 25 years but I am starting to see the pattern.

good luck

if you're going to get down & dirty for the better angles make sure you have UV filters on your lenses, won't help the picture but it'll make it easier to clean the dog slobber off when it gets licked

Brilliant thanks Wookie :D Did what you suggested today and took some brilliant shots of my friends' dog at a show we were both at :D :D

I'm still in New-Camera-Happy-Excited-Land :LOL: :LOL:

I've just saved and will print onto a small card what Wookie has said for myself, it looks like sound advice. As for getting "down and dirty " with the dog I always stuff a black poly rubbish bag in my pocket when I go out, it's handy for these occasions you need to kneel down to take a shot, keeps the knees dry and mud free.

glad its helping,

when I switched to digital a few months ago it really opened my eyes to all the ways I've been getting shots wrong for so many years. I've been learning a lot very rapidly in the last few months. Also after being used to film for years the ability to change iso to suit the shot and get the shutter speed up was a big change in my thinking and a different approach to setting up for a shot. I still have difficulty remembering to check & adjust iso :bonk:.

Your next lesson in trying to get sharp pictures is post processing. I was quite shocked to find that the photos can be significantly improved afterwards,and its not cheating, its down to the way that the sensor blurs edges. Sharpening can also help fix shots that are marginal on the focus or steady camera front but a properly sharp photo in the first place is miles better.
The software that comes with the 400d (both zoombrowser & digital photo professional) can sharpen most shots, but I have found trouble with it amplifying the noise on high iso shots or sharp edges of really strong colour changes bleeding sideways (I had big trouble with vertical edges of bright football shirts against a green grassy background). For these problem photos I am now trying high pass filter sharpening using GIMP (its free software, so much cheaper than photoshop).
I think this thread has probably exceeded its subject at this point and a new thread with a plea for guidance on sharpening in the post processing forum may be in order.

Then there is also the equipment route, a "nifty fifty" may help you. Well I'm hoping it'll help me as I've recently ordered one from kerso. Its a cheap (£60) lightweight 50mm prime lens that reputedly has beautiful sharp optics and gets really wide open to F1.8 so great for low light to maximise the shutter speed (with the compromise of reduced depth of field). Disadvantage is its a prime (no zoom), but in my case that's probably a big bonus as my composition is appalling and I am hoping the fixed length will get me to concentrate on properly composing shots better instead of standing still and zooming. If you have the money and want to concentrate on highly mobile subjects (eg. dogs) then maybe go straight for a 50mm f1.4, about £200, as reviews suggest faster more accurate focussing than the f1.8 version.
I've already invested in a tripod for landscapes and portraits as I know I really can't hold the camera steady enough for slow shutter speeds :shake:

kneelers: for comfort, next time you are in a camping shop pick up a sit mat, they should only be a quid or 2
eg. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/5032307007029
or the deluxe compact folding version http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/5032307065548
they'll be easier on the knees than a plastic bag

I'm still in New-Camera-Happy-Excited-Land :LOL: :LOL:

let's hope you stay there for a long time

as for the pics
I'd agree with others - shutter speed too slow
try and use a shutter speed faster than the focal length...

200mm needs at least 1/200
55 mm needs at least 1/55
and so on

(I mean in each case faster speed than..., but you knew that!)

Wookie said:
Then there is also the equipment route, a "nifty fifty" may help you. Well I'm hoping it'll help me as I've recently ordered one from kerso. Its a cheap (£60) lightweight 50mm prime lens that reputedly has beautiful sharp optics and gets really wide open to F1.8 so great for low light to maximise the shutter speed (with the compromise of reduced depth of field).
Ahhh Lens Lust - I am already there my friend :LOL: :LOL: And who is this Kerso one speaks of? I have seen this individual mentioned a couple of times in a god-like fashion and I too want to see if he can satisfy my next fix!

Wookie said:
I've already invested in a tripod for landscapes and portraits as I know I really can't hold the camera steady enough for slow shutter speeds :shake:
Ohhh you and me both. I'm a "wobbler" :D Can't keep myself still for the love of god :LOL: I'm sure it's the excitement :LOL: Picked up a Manfrotto tripod on Friday night in TESCO (!!!!) of all places :eek: Should have been £99.99 but on a special at £39.99. Seemed very sturdy when I got it out in the shop. I love having 5 legs :D

Going out to take more pics in a few mins :D YAY! :wave:

Trust me when I say that I had the same experience when I started with my Canon S3 so I can imagine how frustrating it must be to start straight off with a DSLR. Like others have said, you just have to keep at it. I found that buying a couple of photography mags and trying the tutorials in them really helped me to get to grips with settings and stuff.

Photoplus, which is specifically for Canon EOS camera users is a good magazine for getting to grips with the basics but there are plenty out there to choose from.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from you.
Alex

Back