I captured a Welsh Dragon today!

Name
Barbara
Edit My Images
No
This beautiful dragonfly (correct me if I'm wrong) landed on the hedge and posed for me.

2786056781_c822f993cd_o.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Great capture, not the easiest subject. (y) I cant get near them to take a pic, they always sem to fly away as soon as i produce the camera and i end up chasing them to their next stopping point!

Len

Wow - great shot! Never see these either :) Nice composition!

Excelent shot, you definitely made the best of the situation

Great capture, not the easiest subject. (y) I cant get near them to take a pic, they always sem to fly away as soon as i produce the camera and i end up chasing them to their next stopping point!

Len
Thank you LW. This one was being very kind to me. A real poser.:D

Wow - great shot! Never see these either :) Nice composition!
Thank you John. We've got all the wildlife in Wales.(y)

Excelent shot, you definitely made the best of the situation
Thank you OG.

very very nice, and very jammy. not seen a one around here :(
great composition and all in the frame nicely. backgrounds a bit busy but tough, you take what you can get when they land. jealous..... moi? :|

Thank you animal. I did ask him to land on a better background, but he wasn't quite that obliging.:LOL::D

This beautiful dragonfly (correct me if I'm wrong) landed on the hedge and posed for me.

2786056781_c822f993cd_o.jpg

C&C always welcome.

Lovely stuff HWG, they are so cute, but I run and scream like a little girl if they fly within 30 metres of me,

Gary.

great pic HWG, as has been said the background is a bit distracting but great photo otherwise i'd be chuffed to bits (y)

Very nice and sharp (y)
I too would have prefered the background a little more OOF
But a nice "job" none the less (y)

Thank you Gary. I do the same with Daddy Longlegs, but dragonflies are no problem. Strange really how some things are repulsive and others are no problem.:thinking:

I know just where you are coming from there!! though I am totally really phobic about moths!!

Very nice welsh dragon too!!

Tara

great pic HWG, as has been said the background is a bit distracting but great photo otherwise i'd be chuffed to bits (y)
Thank you Toothie.

Very nice and sharp (y)
I too would have prefered the background a little more OOF
But a nice "job" none the less (y)
Thank you cobra.

Have to agree with everyone, lovely shot.
Thank you Canonman

Agree with everyone too, that's a great shot - very sharp

simon
Thank you Simon.

I know just where you are coming from there!! though I am totally really phobic about moths!!

Very nice welsh dragon too!!

Tara
Thank you Tara.

Fantastic shot HWG.
What lens did you use ?
Was out this morning myself looking for some insects, I'd be well chuffed if I got anything half as good as yours.
Well snapped !

Fantastic shot HWG.
What lens did you use ?
Was out this morning myself looking for some insects, I'd be well chuffed if I got anything half as good as yours.
Well snapped !

Thank you Rockshifter. I was using the Sigma 105mm macro. I managed to get in quite close to him as he didn't seem to be bothered that I was there.

what were your camera settings for the dragonfly Barbara. I assume you did not use flash?? Its really a perfect shot as far as I can see

what were your camera settings for the dragonfly Barbara. I assume you did not use flash?? Its really a perfect shot as far as I can see

Hi Peter, yes I did use flash though only the on board one.
I used 1/200, f11, manual focus, and manual exposure. It was taken on the privet edge in our front garden.

wow, thats beautiful, amazing detail in the wings as well...I want a macro lens and your skill now hehe

You've given away all the secrets HWG.
I've got the right lens now maybe I'll try your settings and see if I can't get a shot close to your quality.

Brilliant capture. Well detailed
Would I be right with Aeshna mixta - Migrant Hawker (female) for an ID?

Lovely capture Barbara.. seems no insect is safe from you lens in Wales these days (y)

Hi barbara I got bitten today by an unknown critter like you. My finger has swollen up and I am a bit sore this evening. What is photography doing to us??

Thanks Mark. I think it's a great lens, and really good for the days when you can't get out and about far.

i just wish my garden would attract the insects etc that others seem to do.living in the centre of neath doesn't help much either :LOL: i've not used my 105 in anger for a while now..note to self,must use the 105 soon :bonk:

i just wish my garden would attract the insects etc that others seem to do.living in the centre of neath doesn't help much either :LOL: i've not used my 105 in anger for a while now..note to self,must use the 105 soon :bonk:

My hubby has planted a wild nature conservation garden and decries the scorched earth policy of many gardners. What he really means is that he doesn't really like gardening, so it's full of loads of shrubs and big trees. I must admit that I do really like it, it's nice and shady to sit out in when it's sunny (trying to remember when, though:thinking:) and lots and lots of things to photograph. Bit short on flowers though.

Back