I converted a van to a camper. Here's how I did it. (Picture heavy) well, it will be

Donnie

We chose the Movano for 2 reasons.
1 we'd seen Matt's conversion on YouTube and his was a movano
2 This came up for sale, just pure luck.

It's sensible to get the gas tested but you don't need a PAT test for the mains hookup. It's not a portable appliance. I imagine it falls under part P regs and we will get this certified for our own peace of mind and to be legal. I've installed mains in my garage and shed so I was happy to undertake this.
Nowhere does it say the DVLA need to see any testing or safety certificates to change use to motor caravan on the V5.

There are several requirements you have to satisfy for the DVLA to re-register a vehicle to a camper van. Here's the link: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...caravan/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome

If you need any advice feel free to pm me. I can't guarantee to know all the answers but I'll try my best.

Terry

LWB is fine. I drove with no bother over Ashness Bridge in the Lake District last week and the tiny lanes were no issue either. When we met someone coming the other way I just stood my ground if I didn't have a passing place to back into. . I'm a white van man! Haha.

We're insured with Adrian Flux and have a year to fully convert and get re registered with the DVLA.

Hope this helps mate.

Hi Terry, hope you don't mind, thought I'd add our conversion of the same van.

We bought ours at the end of 2015 for £2400, difference being that ours was an ex-ambulance (you can still see where the stickers were!) or to be more accurate a PTS minibus (Patient Transport Service). The Master / Movano was picked as they are galvanised in the factory so doesn't rust away like transits and sprinters can do.

Advantages here are that you already have windows (possibly too many!), some insulation, boarded out, plastic lining on the interior, roof vent, interior and exterior lights all fitted. Our first weekend away was literally throw a mattress in the back, cardboard to cover the windows and a porta potti!

We decided to make ours off grid and to date it has never spent a night on a campsite, this meant our budget went into solar panels, 2x leisure batteries in the passenger seat box and a Waeco CRX110 fridge freezer that we picked up on Black Friday for £489. Our gas install is a brand new smev twin burner / sink combo as we didn't want 2nd hand gas appliances and there is a propex heater sat in it's box waiting to be installed.

Furniture was been bodged up with freebies from freecycle etc.!

Will answer any questions I can!

Some pics!

IMG_1458.jpg IMG_0291.jpg IMG_0307.jpg IMG_1701.jpg

Last edited:
Between the seats and the bed we have now made 2 units and will be adding overhead cupboards in the next 2-3 weeks.

The broken air con unit was removed from the roof and we put in another roof vent but went for the one with a built in fan so it's like having an extractor.

Solar panels we ended up bolting in. Might not look pretty up there but no leaks in nearly a year!

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1965.jpg

A few questions as Im looking at this very seriously if I may? (Anyone else can chip in if they know) :)

Was there any particular reason for the Movano or the LWB vs a MWB? I like the idea of a LWB but wonder how it would be in the little lanes in the middle of nowhere and also wonder if there's any particular vans or engines to avoid? ie Im assuming anything Transit / Movano / Sprinter is a good bet?

What about insurance? ie does it have to be registered as a camper now legally? and what are the steps to do so? does the leccy need PAT testing, what about the Gas?

I'm sure I'll think of more but thats plenty to be annoying you with for now :eek:

Movanos are galvanised at the factory and are not rust buckets which was our main reason.

We found ourselves in the narrowest (bushes touching either side) steepest country lane we had ever seen in Cornwall, the van was fine and if you meet anyone they don't mess with a van. A good advantage with an older van is that you don't mind if it gets scratched in these situations and people will give you a wider berth!

If you change the use of a vehicle you do have to inform the DVLA and the link already given covers the necessary. Ours has been done and is officially a motor caravan now, no mains electric, it's all 12 volt so no testing needed. Our gas was self installed and we've not been asked about it but we have thoroughly tested it for leaks and added a drop vent. Insurance is around £250 a year, clean license with 10 years NCB on the car.

Biggest advantage of a self build is you can change it to adapt as your needs change.

As an example a cot from freecycle can be broken down to turn your double bed into a playpen!

IMG_3787.jpg

@Unlocker
Nice one Danny, of course I don't mind you "showing me yours".

I like the single passenger seat. Did your van come like that or did you have to source one?

I've been looking for them on eBay but they're a lot of money.

You have the newer style van s the battery in the cab area (lucky so and so).

Took me a while to find where to drill through the bulkhead to liven up the split charge relay on the battery.

Awesome work! I'd [we'd!!] love to do something like this or even own something like this but we've just nowhere to do it really. I've already got a weekend car that I have no space for at home!!

@Unlocker
Nice one Danny, of course I don't mind you "showing me yours".

I like the single passenger seat. Did your van come like that or did you have to source one?

I've been looking for them on eBay but they're a lot of money.

You have the newer style van s the battery in the cab area (lucky so and so).

Took me a while to find where to drill through the bulkhead to liven up the split charge relay on the battery.

Yes, it did come with a single passenger seat and box, they were replaced with front swivel seats from an Espace mk3 think they were £140 the pair and easy enough to adapt onto the boxes.

Not only is the starter battery under the floor of the cab, it already had a split charger set up so all the holes and cables had already been done. We still ripped that out and replaced it with a Ctek 250 though as that handles the solar too and tops up the starter battery when the leisure batteries are full.

All the extra wiring from the minibus install was, shall we say, interesting!

307F4A0D-A600-417C-8B68-A94733ED70DC.jpeg

I’m envious of anyone who has the ability and drive to do projects of this nature. Very cool stuff.

Thanks for sharing, Terry. A nice read on my Monday morning commute. I hope you get some good use from the Van.

Very impressive thread. I know this stuff isn't easy 'cause I helped the kids with their Volkswagen conversion. That's the last time I volunteer for their DIY schemes! :D

Great thread.

At the moment I am completely hooked on buying a VW T5 but my wife is shall we say a little reluctant lol

Great thread Terry would love to do something like this but I don#t think a Mini van would have enough room!:LOL:

Back