I.D please...me thinks it's an otter...

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
Scampered out on to the ice for a few seconds then disappeard down a hole in the ice.....

Pesky weeds bang in my line of sight :bang:

Not the best pics I know but just after an I.D

Last edited:
Methinks mink too - longer snout than an otter.

I don't think it's an otter as they have a muscular tail that blends into the body rather than a sort of 'add on' as with this creature. Given the other water friendly mammals in the UK I would agree a Mink is a highly probable. Was this shot in Yorkshire?

I don't think it's an otter as they have a muscular tail that blends into the body rather than a sort of 'add on' as with this creature. Given the other water friendly mammals in the UK I would agree a Mink is a highly probable. Was this shot in Yorkshire?

It was shot in Herefordshire

2010_10_04_506.jpg
[/IMG]

Mink I would say.

John

Hi Tom,

I would also say that it is a mink. I can believe people use their fur for coats, they are so cute.
But I can see how they can be seen as luxerious. They are better off buying gold if you ask me! :) buying gold :)

Last edited:
Hi Tom, it`s definitely not an Otter, i agree it`s a Mink, regards Rob.

Beginning to think it's a Mink................. the hunt for an Otter continues...

Thanks all for taking time out to post!!

Hi Tom,

I would also say that it is a mink. I can believe people use their fur for coats, they are so cute.

So you have never seen the destruction they cause then?
Hmmmmmmmm.
They were farmed many years ago for their pelts thousands were released
Some by accident, some by design
but mostly by "antis".
Since then they devastate the water ways where
they have settled, eating fish and ground nesting water birds, their chicks
and their eggs.
Vicious as hell Cute you say?

Yep tis a Mink

Mink, no more discussion about it.............(y)

Cute? You reckon?...............:thumbsdown:

So you have never seen the destruction they cause then?
Hmmmmmmmm.
They were farmed many years ago for their pelts thousands were released
Some by accident, some by design
but mostly by "antis".
Since then they devastate the water ways where
they have settled, eating fish and ground nesting water birds, their chicks
and their eggs.
Vicious as hell Cute you say?

:agree:
better off shot with a gun than a camera.........

Best head back to the same hide then......the misses could do with a new pair of gloves and scarf

A few years ago I was out enjoying a relaxing days fishing on my local river in complete peace and tranquillity. Having sat there for several hours I heard a rustling on the bank behind me which was about head level as I sat on my tackle box. On looking around I came face to face with a mink who was busy preparing himself to pounce on my head! In one continuous movement I looked around, almost p**d myself and fell smartly off the side of my seat, during this graceful manoeuvre the mink continued his pounce and luckily for me missed and dive bombed straight into river!...Have to say Having almost had my face bitten off by one that your picture is deffo a mink!!!

I have witnessed the destruction these animals have done. A few years ago a local small holding near me had 60 hens slaughtered, Foxes got the blame initially, until three mink were captured in a cage trap set for the fox.

:agree:
better off shot with a gun than a camera.........[/QUOTE]

A delightful animal but unfortunately its reported impact on other animal life is huge.

They seem to be very widespread. I have seen them in a park in east London and on the Isle of Lewis.

Delightful? They are viscous indiscriminate killers that should be shot on sight.

The only decent mink is one wrapped around a Russian Mafioso's moll.

Even Philippa Forrester agrees that they need culling; and that's really saying something!

Last edited:
IMO mink are one of the most delightful mammals in Britain, but I agree their impact is huge and as they are not native then I wouldn't mind if they were eradicated.

I am not sure why they have a greater effect than weasels, which are of comparable size.

Do mink breed better than weasels? Is it that mink are less shy than weasels so can exploit wider areas?

Dave

Delightful? They are viscous indiscriminate killers that should be shot on sight.

The only decent mink is one wrapped around a Russian Mafioso's moll.

Even Philippa Forrester agrees that they need culling; and that's really saying something!
From the Minks point of view it is simply surviving. Anthropomorphizing an animal is to do it a disservice by misrepresentation and put a human value system where it has no place.

From the Minks point of view it is simply surviving. Anthropomorphizing an animal is to do it a disservice by misrepresentation and put a human value system where it has no place.

I'm not anthropomorphizing in the slightest. Minks, along with foxes, are one of the very few predators that kill for pleasure rather than food or status value. They will frequently slaughter an entire flock and then abandon it, without any intention of recovering the carcasses once they've fed. If an animal were intent on surviving it would only take what it needs to eat and then return for further prey later once it had discovered the food source. Massed slaughter makes absolutely no sense in the natural world.

Last edited:
I'm not anthropomorphizing in the slightest. Minks, along with foxes, are one of the very few predators that kill for pleasure rather than food or status value. They will frequently slaughter an entire flock and then abandon it, without any intention of recovering the carcasses once they've fed. If an animal were intent on surviving it would only take what it needs to eat and then return for further prey later once it had discovered the food source. Massed slaughter makes absolutely no sense in the natural world.

Quite right, but chicken coops don't make sense in a the natural world either. The fox has been presented with an environment that it has not yet evolved to exploit effectively i.e take one chicken now leave the rest for later. The foxes behaviour is 'kill while there is pray to kill, it may not be there tomorrow.' The fact that humans create an environment that facilitates the foxes behaviour to keep killing is not the fox's fault. Its behaviour is a natural one in an unnatural environment. To attribute 'viciousness', a human construct, to the behaviour of a non-human is pointless and miss-leading. The fox is not being vicious when it kills a coop full of chickens. To attribute viciousness to a fox (or any animal) is anthropomorphising it, a fox has no comprehension of viciousness.

Last edited:
could be a pine martin pretty rare in certain parts of uk two colours i know of black and brown

I am not to keen on the Mink and I do think it would be better off exterminated from this Island.....but if any animal needs controlling more than anything it's the human race!!!

What utter rubbish I really wish people would not speak about things unless they know what they are speaking about and you sir clearly do not. :bang:

What utter rubbish I really wish people would not speak about things unless they know what they are speaking about and you sir clearly do not. :bang:

I'm speaking from the experience of working on a 3000 acre farming and shooting estate that was less than 4 miles from where 6000 minks were released by the animal rights movement in 1998; ie real world practical experience, not warm fuzzy animal loving sentiment.

If you'd seen what mink can do to farm animals and wildlife you wouldn't be so happy about them trotting about in the wild.

Animal rights movement? Irresponsible townie do gooders more like.

I'm speaking from the experience of working on a 3000 acre farming and shooting estate that was less than 4 miles from where 6000 minks were released by the animal rights movement in 1998; ie real world practical experience, not warm fuzzy animal loving sentiment.

If you'd seen what mink can do to farm animals and wildlife you wouldn't be so happy about them trotting about in the wild.

I wasnt talking about minks I agree they devast the British eco system. I was talking about your comment regarding foxes killing for pleasure which is complete and utter nonsense!

Lissa said:
I wasnt talking about minks I agree they devast the British eco system. I was talking about your comment regarding foxes killing for pleasure which is complete and utter nonsense!

Erm no it isn't. Have you ever seen a chicken coup or pheasant pen after a fox has got into it?

Its a trait that's predominantly seen in rural foxes. Urban foxes tend not to be so aggressive when released into the countryside.

Erm no it isn't. Have you ever seen a chicken coup or pheasant pen after a fox has got into it?

Its a trait that's predominantly seen in rural foxes. Urban foxes tend not to be so aggressive when released into the countryside.

Yes and it has nothing to do with them killing for pleasure, they are opportunist hunters. They get into a chicken coop they kill as many as they can to bury to so they have a food supply, they get interputted by a farmer or other animal and run off. Nothing to do with killing for pleasure at all. :wacky:

I'm not anthropomorphizing in the slightest.
If an animal were intent on surviving it would only take what it needs to eat and then return for further prey later once it had discovered the food source. Massed slaughter makes absolutely no sense in the natural world.
Agreed, agreed and agreed (y)
Quite right, but chicken coops don't make sense in a the natural world either. The fox has been presented with an environment that it has not yet evolved to exploit effectively i.e take one chicken now leave the rest for later. .
And the urban fox? "he" adapted bloody quickly by scavenging bins!
Your comments make no sense at all
Man has been keeping chickens confined in such ways for
many many years, they used to free range then in medieval times and before,
but the foxes used to kill in just the same way.
the Coop was designed to offer some protection from predators
(I include other things in that not just the fox BTW)
.....but if any animal needs controlling more than anything it's the human race!!!
Fair point well presented :D

And once again I find myself concurring (y)

Back