I did a composite

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
I've only done simple background replacements until now. I think I've got the perspective and contrast about right. The focal lengths & lighting don't quite match they're probably close enough that I can get away with it for the subject matter. All thoughts welcome, especially technical ones about the compositing itself.

Maria I
by Simon Carter, on Flickr

Background (c) User:Colin used and adapted under a CC BY-SA 2.0 licence.

Last edited:
There just something about the bottom of her left shoe (right side as we look into the picture) that doesn't *quite* gel for me, but I'm being pretty picky. I could well be one of those situations where it looks like that in the original as well and is physically sensible, but just looks a little bit off because I know it's a composite.

Otherwise, extremely convincing in my view.

Only thing that jumps out at me is the higher elbow; looks rough or harsh against the background, or something. Real nice though.

Thanks folks, much appreciated. If I do more of this kind of thing it'll only ever be occasional - it's a ridiculous amount of work. If I've got a particular project in mind I might use one of the Asian clipping houses for the cutout work.

Nice, Simon.

Love the sci-fi look.

The focal lengths & lighting don't quite match they're probably close enough that I can get away with it for the subject matter.
Agreed, that is some amazing lighting control ;). And it seems to me that there should be at least a bit of reflection in the wall, which I don't think could be done really convincingly. I think placing her a little farther back, a bit smaller proportionally, and removing the "reflectivity" of the forward wall (more like the back areas and softened/blurred) would work just a bit better.

I'd say it's quite well done overall, particularly the cutout/masking...the only thing I noticed there is a little "halo/highlight" around the shoe soles on the shadow sides. I imagine that was done for separation, but IMO it doesn't look quite right.

Agreed, that is some amazing lighting control ;). And it seems to me that there should be at least a bit of reflection in the wall, which I don't think could be done really convincingly. I think placing her a little farther back, a bit smaller proportionally, and removing the "reflectivity" of the forward wall (more like the back areas and softened/blurred) would work just a bit better.

I'd say it's quite well done overall, particularly the cutout/masking...the only thing I noticed there is a little "halo/highlight" around the shoe soles on the shadow sides. I imagine that was done for separation, but IMO it doesn't look quite right.

Thanks Steven, I'll try to work up the energy to have another go.

When we have a look of the shadow part, the light seems to come from right to left. Nevertheless, when we have a look on the right arm of the model, we have a different impression. It could hamper the reading of the photo,

However, I love this shot !!!

Nope can't see anything wrong with this.
Bloomin fab you should be well pleased with that. Leave it alone (for me anyway)

Gaz

Ps: Loving the Leon image. Great glow on the skin plus a great textured background.

Last edited:
Looking at the feet and shadows near them something doesn't quite look right, it could be as Tony says but that's just being picky.

It's a good image in its own right and you've done a good job on it, the subject really suits the background.
Did you have this background in mind when you took the photo?

Pretty damn good AFAIC Simon, great job. I liked your model shot against the white BG too I saw on Flickr.
Nope can't see anything wrong with this.
Bloomin fab you should be well pleased with that. Leave it alone (for me anyway)

Gaz

Ps: Loving the Leon image. Great glow on the skin plus a great textured background.

Thanks!

Looking at the feet and shadows near them something doesn't quite look right, it could be as Tony says but that's just being picky.

It's a good image in its own right and you've done a good job on it, the subject really suits the background.
Did you have this background in mind when you took the photo?
I've tweaked the feet; I haven't got time now to make the model smaller 'cos there's a heap of dodging & burning I'd want to redo.

I knew I wanted to trying putting a different background in, and I'd long planned to do a shoot styled like this in the corridor in question, but it wasn't until afterwards that I thought it'd be worth hunting for a stock image of the place.

Just to echo what everyone else has said above Simon, great work and to my eye utterly convincing as an image.
No crit to add.

I worked with Lightwave, 3D studio max, Perception, Matrox digi suite and many more animation and video systems, even for MTV, Mira and many more, you'd fit right in haha

Nice job IMO.

Back