I did a newborn mentoring session....

I have to agree with all the other comments. The photos both here and on your website are absolutely stunning. I was supposed to be doing some shots of a newborn a few months ago for a friend and did a lot of reserach on various websites. I have to say that looking at your site today, it is the best I have seen. Unfortunately my shoot was cancelled as the mother has been ill since the birth and did not want the photos taken.

I have to agree with all the other comments. The photos both here and on your website are absolutely stunning. I was supposed to be doing some shots of a newborn a few months ago for a friend and did a lot of reserach on various websites. I have to say that looking at your site today, it is the best I have seen. Unfortunately my shoot was cancelled as the mother has been ill since the birth and did not want the photos taken.

Wow thank you

Thank you all

Thank you

Keith i make all the hats and cocoons and headbands i sell them all over the world to other photographers Barry the key is make sure they are under 10 days old and have a hot studio also its the way you handle them and cuddling them to sleep you have to be patient my newborn shoots last 4 hours and i always cuddle and shush them to sleep
Also i will be running newborn workshops with David Purslow anyone interested contact me for more information.

Mark i make all the knitted props the log bowl i got from a designer home shop in skegness

Wheres my note pad *sound of scribbling* thanking you :D

You live south of Doncaster don't you? not far down the road and a workshop sounds interesting (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I've commented on your work on Flickr but as always great stuff. You've definitely got the knack to produce very unique outstanding images, as our local high street studio whose work I consider questionable has started all of a sudden producing very similair images, but to be honest do not have any where near the refinement of your own.

love the lighting and setups, cannot fault the photo's exposure, composition wise in framing, background, etc, etc but not a fan of some (many) of the poses.

Sorry.

Had kind of a reunion yesterday, met up with Sarah, Roxanne (mum of baby) and one of Sarah's Mentees at my place. Sarah really is one top baby photographer and its obvious from the way The Mentee and Roxy swooned they really love the photos.

I myself have a slightly different one to Sarah, I took it while she was mentoring me, I must confess that I sent it to Sarah to edit as her post processing is simply amazing,

here is my version of the baby james image.

babyjames.jpg

Beautiful work. I was wondering if possible would you be able to recommend any sites for buying similar props? I'm just starting out and really want to get into baby photography. Also where can I buy the faux flooring in your photos? Also do you use natural lighting or artificial?

Last edited:
Oh my these are gorgeous, please, if I ever have a child, take the first photographs! hahaha.

Absolutly stunning!

We are due a baby girl on monday (our second child) and i was just wondering, the frog pose aswell as others, do they hold themselved up like that or are you cloning out an arm here and there to hold the baby's up?

I'm not expecting anything like shots as good as these but i'm going to enjoy trying! (who am i kidding i'll be too nackered)

Thanks

Alan

oh, and one more thing, you say you have to do these shots BEFORE 10 days, why is that?

thanks again

Alan

Alan, the frog pose is a composite image, and should never be attempted without the baby being supported the whole time. In fact, I wouldn't recommend trying the pose without having had some sort of training. It takes time to build up to a lot of the poses and the baby's safety has to be the first priority.

The baby has to be completed zonked out for this pose to work, and after 10 days they are more easily disturbed from their slumber!

Not a fan of the frog pose myself..Love all the other poses but something I just don't like about the frog pose.:shrug:

me neither Dean, doesn't look natural and the face looks 'huffy' but as ever it's personal taste, the photo itself is awesome :)

BooBear said:
Alan, the frog pose is a composite image, and should never be attempted without the baby being supported the whole time. In fact, I wouldn't recommend trying the pose without having had some sort of training. It takes time to build up to a lot of the poses and the baby's safety has to be the first priority.

The baby has to be completed zonked out for this pose to work, and after 10 days they are more easily disturbed from their slumber!

Thanks for that info! Clarified it for me too :) I just couldn't imagine how it's done sooc.

Wonderful behind the scenes shot that I seem to have missed before..
I can't stop looking at your work! Beautiful doesn't even cover it.

Back