I (didnt) Won Charlie Waites Landscape Photographer of the Year 2012 LPOTY

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this may be one of the differences between club and salon competitions and a major competition. In club and salon photography you can get away with a lot more manipulation than you can otherwise.

Last edited:
I have to inform you after a conversation with Charlie Waite I have been disqualified from the Landscape Photographer of the year awards, unfortunately I did not read the regulations and certain editing such as adding clouds and cloning out small details are not allowed, while I don’t think what I have done to the photo is wrong in any way, I do understand it’s against the regulations so accept the decision.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I have never passed off my photographs as ‘record’ shots. The changes I made were not major and if you go to the locations you will see everything is there as presented, I did not remove any permanent structures etc. and the only reason this has come about has been due to my openness about how and what I do to my images.

I am proud of my work and stand by it.

Last edited:
I guess this may be one of the differences between club and salon competitions and a major competition. In club and salon photography you can get away with a lot more manipulation than you can otherwise.

club competitions are all about the image, its not the same at all!

Andy - I just noticed the IR D200 amongst your cameras. Was the IR modification expensive?

Dave btw ;)

i have it converted with a lifepixel filter (830nm rather than the normal 720nm) which after fitting cost about £300 all together

club competitions are all about the image, its not the same at all!

Dave btw ;)

i have it converted with a lifepixel filter (830nm rather than the normal 720nm) which after fitting cost about £300 all together

Yes that's what I mean.

graphilly said:
What an embarrassment. I wonder what will happen now. Someone made reference to the Spanish Wolf before. I wonder if the same happens here.

I kinda mentioned that as a joke... :(

Yes that's what I mean.

sorry i was agreeing with you, didnt come across right

judges are constantly saying i find that bright bit distracting i would have cloned it out, but then its said on here all the time too,

just a pity that when i submitted the photos why didnt a box pop up saying "WARNING: have you cloned or composited this image?" instead of hiding it in all the T&C's, would have saved me a lot of crap, id have entered the in the your view category and all would be well in the world :thumbsdown:

wheres my post gone? seems to have been removed, any particular reason
?

its prob a glitch cos i asked for the thread to be removed until the press release was done as i was in enough trouble already, nothing suspicious mate, admin was just helping me out

sorry i was agreeing with you, didnt come across right

judges are constantly saying i find that bright bit distracting i would have cloned it out, but then its said on here all the time too,

just a pity that when i submitted the photos why didnt a box pop up saying "WARNING: have you cloned or composited this image?" instead of hiding it in all the T&C's, would have saved me a lot of crap, id have entered the in the your view category and all would be well in the world :thumbsdown:

So was it just the 2 images that got disqualified?

ye

Dunno what category mate and I'm past caring now

Dunno what category mate and I'm past caring now

I'm not sure that is the attitude I would adopt but that is entirely up to you.

You got a judges personal choice and a Highly Commended for that image but there has been doubt cast over it's eligibility also.

Last edited:
David's name isn't mentioned on any of the winning entries now on the PDF release. There's been a few posts removed.

I have never passed off my photographs as ‘record’ shots. The changes I made were not major and if you go to the locations you will see everything is there as presented, I did not remove any permanent structures etc. and the only reason this has come about has been due to my openness about how and what I do to my images.

That's about the crux of it Dave. What you shot were genuinely good images and well worthy of winning the competition. If the manipulation that you carried out on them was in breach of the rules then i'm sure there will be shed loads of photographers who entered images in the same boat. As for 'copying' the boat image.... so what!! Who cares... the judges were presented with photo's to judge - they did that - and your images impressed the most.

It's amazing how people react to things when there's money involved.

No shame on your part pal, onwards and upwards... sorry.. i should have said... Power to the People (y)

David's name isn't mentioned on any of the winning entries now on the PDF release. There's been a few posts removed.

He was also awarded a David Noton's personal choice and a Highly Commended for The Copse but there has been doubt cast over it's eligibility also.

I don't think that is right either, if it was not an eligible image.

He was also awarded a David Noton's personal choice and a Highly Commended for The Copse but there has been doubt cast over it's eligibility also.

I don't think that is right either, if it was not an eligible image.

This really isn't the time or the place to be challenging David on that though . . . it's a matter to be dealt with between him and the competition judges.

This really isn't the time or the place to be challenging David on that though . . . it's a matter to be dealt with between him and the competition judges.

Well I respectfully disagree. He is happy to start this thread to let us all know of his exciting awards in the comp and you are happy for the thread to continue but we are not allowed to 'challenge' when there are discrepancies with his images and he is giving vague answers.

I'm was just trying to clarify a point with David, he has entered into the discussion but obviously he's not in the mood to give a fuller response. I'm not going to 'challenge' him any further.

Well I respectfully disagree. He is happy to start this thread to let us all know of his exciting awards in the comp and you are happy for the thread to continue but we are not allowed to 'challenge' when there are discrepancies with his images and he is giving vague answers.

I'm was just trying to clarify a point with David, he has entered into the discussion but obviously he's not in the mood to give a fuller response. I'm not going to 'challenge' him any further.

OK, perhaps challenge wasn't the right word, in that case I'll clarify.

Yes, this thread is being allowed to continue to run at the moment but it's still subject to the usual forum rules and expectations of behaviour.
Even if this hadn't involved a forum member it's something that people would have wanted to talk about, so there's no problem with anyone expressing an opinion one way or another and indeed no problem with anyone engaging David in conversation or asking him questions in the thread - as long as it stays polite and civil.

However, as with all threads, we will draw the line if it begins to get too personal.
Right now, I don't think that continuing to push home a point that he clearly doesn't want to engage further in is going to end in anything constructive, so I'd prefer to end it now.

Gutted for where you must be at now Dave- cracking set of images, it's a shame they fall outside the rules of the entered categories.

The competition needs to (and appears to) hold its hands up to not identifying this sooner and address this in future. That's the biggest balls up here, and the only definite amongst lots of uncertainty and speculation.

It's not just TaV either, other competitions need to wise up on enforcing submission criteria. I lost faith in the process a couple of years ago after being shortlisted to the finals of a magazine's "PotY" competition. Where my portfolio was shot specifically for my interpretations of the five categories, the winning photographer submitted images that were taken almost entirely before the competition was announced (one pic was a couple of years old iirc!). How such relics got past shortlisting in a competition titled "Photographer of the Year" I'll never understand.

I have to inform you after a conversation with Charlie Waite I have been disqualified from the Landscape Photographer of the year awards, unfortunately I did not read the regulations and certain editing such as adding clouds and cloning out small details are not allowed, while I don’t think what I have done to the photo is wrong in any way, I do understand it’s against the regulations so accept the decision.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Fair play to you, and kudos for your attitude.
You are right on many points and seems to me it's a struggle to be creative and still satisfy everyone.
I personally think the images are superb.
You will live to fight another day, so to speak.
Hey it's only a photo competition, it's hardly life or death.
Best wishes for the future.
kind regards
tony

Poor admin. If I ran a comp like this, I'd phone each of the winners, runners-up etc and check through main rules/criteria with the entrant BEFORE announcing to the public.

It's embarrassing for everyone involved. Obviously for David riding the emotions of the win, then what appeared as an internet witch hunt. It's embarrassing for the organisers, who have had books printed, media articles, the exhibition arranged. The concerns of some people were correct but I feel they should have been expressed to the competition organisers, but I guess that's the way of the internet. Sometimes it's easy to get carried away without thinking about all of the outcomes.

Unfortunately, these sort of issues sometimes bring out the worse in people who think they are anonymous and I believe David has received some nasty communications for what I believe was an honest mistake on his part. I hope this now ends for his sake and he continues to take his photos.

Lets face it, competition aside, they were stunning images.

And I think ultimately there's been a learning experience for all. We'll all probably read the rules/small print more in the future. Hopefully some people will consider their behaviour and we've all learnt a little bit more about Landscape photography, influences and techniques.

will you let it go!:nono:. I for one am bored of your constant picking. The outcome has been decided. For once put yourself in Davids shoes. He made a mistake, its been sorted. The judges have decided, the comp is over, move on!

what appeared as an internet witch hunt. [/snip] The concerns of some people were correct but I feel they should have been expressed to the competition organisers, but I guess that's the way of the internet.

I wonder if it was a lack of faith in the organisers doing anything about it without the 'protest' being in the public domain? :thinking:

I believe David has received some nasty communications.

That is very sad, but in keeping with the cloak of anonymity that the Internet provides for ill-mannered, cowardly people.

After reading though all the posts it's a great shame that it has come to this conclusion. The images are wonderful. Manipulated or not. Be proud of your work David. You have a great talent. It just unfortunate that people who have an issue with the way the competition is run and the rules interpreted have to publicly try and vilify the winning images and the photographer rather than take their issues up with the real culprits in this case. The organisers and the judges.

I posted this yesterday but it went missing for some reason - here it is again. It's worth reading Alex's comment on his blog too...

Really sorry this has happened and I wanted to reiterate that the blog post I wrote about the competition was not intended to attack you personally but to try to point out that three out of the four images that were entered were not compatible with the terms and conditions.

I do feel truly sorry that you had to suffer for this because all of this could have been avoided if the competition organisers could have checked things thoroughly.

I should add that your images are very strong and whilst I don’t think they are the best landscape photographs I have seen – they are certainly very good and this situation should not make you think differently.

Don’t forget that if the images had been compatible with the terms and conditions they would still have won, they can’t take that away from you.

My personal favourite is the Delamere forest – a very nice, original image.

I really hope this doesn’t stop your enjoyment of photography and I’m sure you’ll get lots of support from the forum here.

The concerns of some people were correct but I feel they should have been expressed to the competition organisers, but I guess that's the way of the internet. Sometimes it's easy to get carried away without thinking about all of the outcomes..

Who says they weren't?

will you let it go!:nono:. I for one am bored of your constant picking. The outcome has been decided. For once put yourself in Davids shoes. He made a mistake, its been sorted. The judges have decided, the comp is over, move on!

Let it go because you are bored with it - no I won't.

As you'll see I've already said I'm not going to 'challenge' David anymore. I've asked questions, he's not going to give a straight answer but I didn't necessarily expect him to in his situation, that's fair enough, he doesn't have to.

I'm glad you think it has been sorted, others don't.

Let it go because you are bored with it - no I won't.

As you'll see I've already said I'm not going to 'challenge' David anymore. I've asked questions, he's not going to give a straight answer but I didn't necessarily expect him to in his situation, that's fair enough, he doesn't have to.

I'm glad you think it has been sorted, others don't.

Yes, let it go. Talk about kicking a man when he's down, I think the witch hunt needs to end here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back