I don't have a clue!

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I am completely new to photography. I have just bought a second hand Canon EOS 500d for my daughter. It came without any lenses and I am wondering which basic lens I need to buy her. Thank you in advance.

Hi all,
I am completely new to photography. I have just bought a second hand Canon EOS 500d for my daughter. It came without any lenses and I am wondering which basic lens I need to buy her. Thank you in advance.
Depends what type of pictures she plans to take, and how much you want to spend, ;) :LOL: but the 18-55mm lens which normally comes with the camera is a good general purpose lens until she decides it can't do something she wants to do. It is relatively inexpensive too.

Not a strict rule, just a general suggestion...

If interested in taking landscape photography, get wide angle lens, something like around 25mm ish (various lengths such as 18mm, 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, etc.)

If interested in general photograph, nothing specific, just taking photos of anything, then something like around the 50mm ish length is good, give or take up to 20mm (ie: 30mm, 50mm, 70mm, or go for zooms covering about that area)

If interested in sports, action, journalism, wildlife, sort of photography where she can't get closer up, and need telephoto lens, being new to photography, something like 200mm (150mm, 210mm, etc) would be good enough for learning, leave those that are over 250mm such as 300mm, 400mm, etc., for much, much, later as those are more expensive.

I would suggest that the above member who mentioned 18-55mm lens, as a good starting point. It do not have to actually be 18-55mm as long as it do covers about that length, such as say 28-70mm, or something like that as long as it is just close enough.

Hi all,
What does you daughter want to do with the camera? - what interests her?

You should be able to pick up an IS version of the 18-55mm kit lens for not much money as a starting point but again, it does depend on what interests her.

Thanks for your responses.
She wants to start with basic photography but also use the video feature.

A decent, but not too expensive, plan might be to start with either:
  • Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS II lens (£79-£100 new); or
  • Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS STM (£100-£130 new)
The second one is slightly more preferable for video. It has a quieter focus motor than the first one.

After she's got used to that and the camera she can decide which direction she wants next. She might want a bit more reach for distant subjects (often called a bit more "zoom", but it's not the correct term for this) in which case either of the following could be a good choice for an inexpensive lens:
  • Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS II (£185-£200 new); or
  • Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS STM (£200 new)
As above, the STM version is a slightly better choice for video as it has the quieter focus motor.

I've taken my prices from the best found at http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Lenses

Buying secondhand can get you a bargain, but the available selection isn't always what you're looking for unless you can wait. And knowing which of those you come across are worthwhile and at bargain prices takes a bit of research and familiarity.

Definitely a 18-55mm lens. A lens of this range is the standard that tends to come with a lot, if not all, DSLR cameras, such as the one you have bought your daughter. After your daughter has used an 18-55mm for a while she will be in a better position to decide what other lenses she would like.

Dave

Every other members who suggested the 18-55mm lens are offering you a good advice, however you do not 'have to' go for 18-55mm, you can go for any other lens roughly about in the similar focus length range. For example, you could go for something like 28-70mm, 22-55mm, 17-85mm, whatever lens new or second hand, you can find in addition to the 18-55 everyone is suggesting. That would give you a wider range of choices rather than facing a choice of buying only the 18-55mm.

Also everyone is suggesting a Canon 18-55mm, but again, you do not 'have to' buy only Canon brand. You can buy any third party brands which make lens for other cameras as long as the lens must be for Canon EF mount. While there are cheaper third parties lens around, better aim for known brand name third party lens such as Tamron, Sigma, Tokina, which are considered to be better, those may be cheaper than Canon's own brand, but they are just expensive than unknown third party lens. They make lens that although seems to be for any cameras, in really the same lens would have a different mount to fit only the right cameras.

Say as an example: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 EF mount (or it may say 18-35mm f1.8 Canon mount or 18-35mm Canon EF or some variation) but do not go for Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 F-mount or A-mount or K-mount (or it may say 18-35mm Nikon mount or Sony mount etc) which means the same lens model can only be fitted to only one camera series.

If you opt for third party just make sure you look for EF mount version or one that says 'for Canon'.

That gives you wider choice of lens to think about buying rather than being limited to only a Canon 18-55mm EF lens.

And whatever lens you pick will still be good enough for basic photography.

Every other members who suggested the 18-55mm lens are offering you a good advice, however you do not 'have to' go for 18-55mm, you can go for any other lens roughly about in the similar focus length range. For example, you could go for something like 28-70mm, 22-55mm, 17-85mm, whatever lens new or second hand, you can find in addition to the 18-55 everyone is suggesting. That would give you a wider range of choices rather than facing a choice of buying only the 18-55mm.
Well, the 17-85mm would be cheap (£35 or so).. but it's not particularly good. The only reason I still have one (without a body it will fit) is because it's so poor compared to the newer 18-55mm lens options that no one would accept it as a trade-in.

Whilst the OP hasn't set a budget, they did state they'd purchased a 500D second hand and give details which suggests (older model, used, new to photography) that there may be budget ceiling and you're being very quick to overlook these details and throw £600+ lenses into the mix (Sigma 18-35/1.8) without flagging up the prices.

The Canon 18-55mm and 22-250mm combination is tough to beat for value, giving good quality results at an affordable price point.

Back