I don't like flash photography, but...

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Flash-lit photographs are garish and unflattering, they contribute nothing to a photograph -- discuss.

Seriously though, that is a rather a lot like how I feel about flash photography, but am I missing something? Is it just a case of not knowing what I'm doing? If I can avoid using a flash gun (and by flash gun, i mean the little pop-up on my D7000) then I will. When I think about larger flash-guns i just think "little pop-up flash" but with even more ugly, stark, light! I've tried diffusers in the past but still not convinced. Where am I going wrong? I know people use flash and make great images and I expect the best flash pictures might not even be seen as being taken using flash.

My point is...if I want to start using flash in a subtle way, where do I start, and how?

There's a million and one websites, blogs and books on the creative use of lighting in photography. Google is your friend. As is the search bar, it's not an infrequent topic on this forum either. There's even a Lighting and Studio sub-forum

The "all flash is b*****ks, persuade me it's not" line isn't making me want to be any more helpful.

I feel the same way about flash for my main subject which is macro but that's partly laziness on my part because some people produce fantastic shots with flash
As a starting point try a bit of fill flash
Have a search on the forum experiment and post up some shots

Your first line is wrong.

There is no further discussion on that point - so lets now get onto the real discussion - which is how can you improve your flash photography enough that you see your first line was wrong ;).

And there are so many ways to do this! Try pointing your flashgun straight up at the ceiling, and if possible attach a bounce card to reflect some of the light forwards. Nice soft flash use (assuming a fairly low and bright ceiling)

Next try to dial the power down and not use on camera flash as your main source of light.
Be this outdoors as fill flash, or indoors to compliment natural light, you set the exposure, then use low power flash as fill. Try it in shutter or aperture priority with the flash to -1 2/3 and see how you feel

And that is before you even get near off camera flash use...

I have only just started to learn about flash photography and I have to say I love experimenting. In my opinion I think it's wrong to to knock something until you you fully understand the real mechanics off it. This forum has some interesting items on flash photography, so I'd have a sit down and a read off that and have a play about.

Your first line is wrong.

There is no further discussion on that point - so lets now get onto the real discussion - which is how can you improve your flash photography enough that you see your first line was wrong ;).

And there are so many ways to do this! Try pointing your flashgun straight up at the ceiling, and if possible attach a bounce card to reflect some of the light forwards. Nice soft flash use (assuming a fairly low and bright ceiling)

Next try to dial the power down and not use on camera flash as your main source of light.
Be this outdoors as fill flash, or indoors to compliment natural light, you set the exposure, then use low power flash as fill. Try it in shutter or aperture priority with the flash to -1 2/3 and see how you feel

And that is before you even get near off camera flash use...

:agree: Also, built in flash's have nothing on external ones. I only use the build in flash on my D7000 if I really have to and even then I don't use it a key lighting, only fill.

Firstly if all you've got is the little pop up flash, then yes it can be very harsh, tho is due to the size, the general rule is the bigger the light source the softer the light. So the first thing to get is a flashgun, these can range from £50-60 up to a few hundred for a Nikon SB900 (or whatever they are, forgive me for not knowing as I shoot Canon). By all accounts Yongnuo make a good range of cheap flashguns. This then starts into a whole plethora of things.

As to how to use it Google is your friend as is YouTube, search a bloke called Mike Browne, he has a very simple training style which makes it easy to understand. Also Syl Arena has a few workshops on there, tends to partner with B&H Photo in the states. He has also written a book called The Speedlighters Handbook, which is almost considered a bible for flash and lighting. Syl I think must be sponsored by Canon, because his modules (and book) talk about Canon however the fundamentals are the same, the only difference is maybe some of the names in menus are slightly different

Flash is a light source. How you use it is up to you and your imagination.
Could be one flash
150935826.jpg

or go silly with many
137783120.jpg

'Flash' is no different to the light that appears outside. It is just how you manipulate it that matters.

I am with Alastair in that, you don't appear to want to actually use flash. You just feel like you should. If you don't want to use it, then don't.

Flash-lit photographs are garish and unflattering, they contribute nothing to a photograph -- discuss.

You are incorrect. No further discussion required.

Here's a shot by a gentleman called Rankin.. you may have heard of him. It was taken with flash.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...z4H8b4c/s800/Adele-Rankin-Fashiontography.jpg

If you mean the crappy little pop up flash on your camera, then yes, it's crap... also no further discussion required.

Flash is just light... it's just a shorter duration... it's not continuous. You can do exactly the same things as you can with continuous light with it.

Do some reading up on studio flash lighting techniques, and off camera lighting techniques.

Last edited:
I would recommend getting a cheap flashgun, trigger, and some sort of bounce card ( all of which doesn't have to be expensive at all) . Trust me, once you've used it for a little while and got an idea of what it can do, id hope that your opinion of flash photography will be changed for ever.

As above really.

On board flash for fill/dire emergencies.

A couple of useful books - speedlighters handbook and the one I found most useful, light science magic. Have a look at the strobist website and the Flickr strobist group.

Using a "proper" flashgun as opposed to the on board flash changed the way I saw/understood light (I went ar** abou t*t in that respect)

Borrow one/read a bit/experiment. It's fun.

But you can get good shots without flash if you understand how to manipulate the light.

Good luck

Shaheed

Goggle the strobist, and David Hobby will introduce you to the vast world of flash photography

After looking at this thread, I looked for a pic taken with on board flash. Found one taken from when I first started photography as a hobby.

Granted it's not the best pic but the on board ended up being useful for a bit of fill.

A (G)oldie by Sir SR, on Flickr

S

Thanks for all your replies, I shall start looking at flash guns.

There are lots of options.

The one that worked for me was to get a Nikon cls compatible ttl flash. Started on camera, then move off camera.

Eventually I ditched the cls and got radio triggers.

Cheapest option is probably the yongnuo flash.

S

Spend the day reading the lighting section.
Tomorrow morning you can start on the strobist blog.

Tomorrow afternoon, have a look at Garry's tutorials on the Lencarta website.

Then you should decide what you want to buy.

You'll quickly learn that like cameras, it's not one camera/flashgun vs another, it's what other bits you need to make a difference.

Google strobist 101 and then enjoy an incredible journey of fun discovering a whole new world of photography

Google strobist 101 and then enjoy an incredible journey of fun discovering a whole new world of photography

Indeed, the man (woman?) is a master with flash.

You can also make/buy very cheap on board flash diffusers if you want to try that first...

Not great but will let you see a subtle difference. Cut the bottom off a white, semi-opaque container and hold it over the flash or use ciggie papers.

ROFL.

Unless you've just been looking at work by Terry Richardson then you'd be 100% correct with that statement.

You don't have to diffuse flash output to get nice images. Depends purely on the circumstance and application.

I have to say that I used to feel the same way as the op. I still only have the pop up flash for my d7000 but I lower its power to -0.7 or lower and also made a bit of diffusion by cutting up a flat bit of plastic milk bottle and taping it over the front of the pop up flash. Those two things already changed my attitude toward flash as they helped no end!

...and reading up on the subject... yes? If you just go and buy a flashgun, attach it, and start firing away you'll just get images broadly similar to those with your on-camera flash.

Study! Read! Learn!

I can't add any value to this topic but wished to say thanks to all participants as it's pushed me to just buy the "speedliters handbook" for my kindle app and I'm going to learn how to use my 600EX-RT properly, and maybe even my 2x 430EX's that are sat around redundant too. :)

My Nikon SB700 arrived today with a manual that's about a centimetre thick! Much reading to be done, firstly about the flash gun and then how to use it to greatest effect. I am a keen aquarist and I note there is a section in the smaple images leaflet showing how to use it to take pictures of fish in aquaria, so I'm looking forward to trying that out. Perhaps there'll be a 'fish' theme in the Challenge 52?

Back