I don't remember that ..................

I have often heard a bang outside my window, only to go outside and find a dying bird. :(
Yep, we've had similar here too :(. We have since fitted some netting inside (I think its called voil or similar ...) and that seems to have stopped it happening.

Yep, we've had similar here too :(. We have since fitted some netting inside (I think its called voil or similar ...) and that seems to have stopped it happening.
I must admit it has not happened at ours for a while. Although I have not cleaned the windows in a while, so birds can spot the window instantly. Either that or the fact I now put bird see at the front of the house, and they now visit from that side instead. :)

It happens. Car windows can be culprits too. But the bird often survives.

If I hear a little bang at the window I tend to look out to see what's what, but I think that they often manage to fly off. I once found a blue tit unconscious on the ground in a car park and picked it up - the eye was still bright, so I decided that there was hope and held it cupped in the warmth of my hand for minutes until it began to stir. When I judged that it might be ready to fly I launched it into the air and off it flew.

Once a neighbour called to say that there was an 'owl' on the ground (in daytime) - I went to look and found that it was a full-grown female sparrowhawk in a very groggy state. About to go out, I got some leather gloves and put the bird in a roomy cardboard box with access for air. When I came back later it was dead.

Nice background bokeh, Tony.

Last edited:
a Pigeon I'd guess. Once had one fly into my car through the open drivers window, it hit the pillar behind the window and exploded, you have no idea how many feathers a pigeon has lol. Stickers on your window may be the solution, hawks seem to be the preferred and most effective deterrent.
cheers

a Pigeon I'd guess. Once had one fly into my car through the open drivers window, it hit the pillar behind the window and exploded, you have no idea how many feathers a pigeon has lol. Stickers on your window may be the solution, hawks seem to be the preferred and most effective deterrent.
cheers

I hit a pigeon with the capri once, on the edge on the bonnet (which was really thick metal). It put a huge dent in it and the aerial in the wing had a full red indian feather effect all along it

Since we're being raconteurs ... once, driving a minivan on a country road I hit a pheasant that then flew off into a hedge. I braked hard, jumped out and managed to grab it, and wrung its neck. It made a tasty meal a few days later after being suitably hung. This can be illegal if the pheasant is owned, so don't try it at home ... ;)

Last edited:
This isn't a sticker Wez, its the real thing
looking at the imprint you'd think the bird was a goner and in a heap under the window somewhere but no sign of it ??

I hit a pigeon with the capri once, on the edge on the bonnet (which was really thick metal). It put a huge dent in it and the aerial in the wing had a full red indian feather effect all along it

I once saw someone hit a fence with their Capri, the car disintegrated. All occupants walked away with minor cuts and grazes. I would have loved to have gotten a photo of the incident, but we did not have mobile phones way back in the 80s. Only people I seem to remember who carried cameras about, were professionals and elderly uncles.

Maybe a replica moggy sat on the window sill would work or even better a real one, but they never sleep where you want them to

Until they moved away, siskin were continually flying into the windows and usually killing themselves, but we too have also had seemingly dead birds recover after a while and fly off.

We bought some of the BoP stickers to see if it would help. Can't be sure either way but it looks as if had an effect on one bird. I was putting some seed out for the birds and it got a surprise.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuszEB862A

Dave

Last edited:
Maybe a replica moggy sat on the window sill would work or even better a real one, but they never sleep where you want them to
No, much easier doing what I do. Don't clean your windows, then everything and everyone knows the window is there. :)

Until they moved away, siskin were continually flying into the windows and usually killing themselves, but we too have also had seemingly dead birds recover after a while and fly off.

We bought some of the BoP stickers to see if it would help. Can't be sure either way but it looks as if had an effect on one bird. I was putting some seed out for the birds and it got a surprise.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtuszEB862A

Dave

LOL :).
Looks like me feeding the birds, that's my next job after I have walked the dog. :)

Similar one here
splat.jpg

I once saw someone hit a fence with their Capri, the car disintegrated. All occupants walked away with minor cuts and grazes. I would have loved to have gotten a photo of the incident, but we did not have mobile phones way back in the 80s. Only people I seem to remember who carried cameras about, were professionals and elderly uncles.

Thats strange as they were very sturdy cars. I went through a fence with mine when I swerved to avoid a BMW who decided he didn't have to give way at a roundabout, I went through a hedge to a farmers field with a 5 bar fence behind held up with sturdy fence posts of which I hit one, taking down about 20-30 feet of fencing either side, like dominos.. The only damage was a huge post sized dent in the bonnet, grill and front valence, but it also bent the crossmember. I drove the car home but the steering was heavily bent and it wrote the car off.

Thats strange as they were very sturdy cars. I went through a fence with mine when I swerved to avoid a BMW who decided he didn't have to give way at a roundabout, I went through a hedge to a farmers field with a 5 bar fence behind held up with sturdy fence posts of which I hit one, taking down about 20-30 feet of fencing either side, like dominos.. The only damage was a huge post sized dent in the bonnet, grill and front valence, but it also bent the crossmember. I drove the car home but the steering was heavily bent and it wrote the car off.

It was a mark 1 capri a bit rusty, and he did hit the fence with a good thump.

Here's mine. Probably a wood pigeon. Bird seemed to survive. I'm really pleased with the outline of the feathers.

53491_163152760376644_956007_o.jpg

I think it may be dust.

We had a pigeon-shaped mark on a window at work around the time of the grain harvest. From the beak area there was a trail running diagonally to the side of the window and a pile of grains on the sill. Seemed like it flew into the window with a full crop and vomited undigested grain across the window. There has been eveidence many times of birdstrikes like that, but no bodies.

Here's mine. Probably a wood pigeon. Bird seemed to survive. I'm really pleased with the outline of the feathers.

Not sure if it just an illusion. Towards the top of the body, looks like a beak shape and possibly an eye. Like the bird's head is twisted, which obviously would make sense.

PS
Yep, nice wing pattern.

Last edited:
To me those last couple of imprints look like they've been made by pigeons; they seem to be covered in grey 'dust', I can usually tell when they've used the bird bath as it has a grey film floating on it! For some reason pigeons rarely seem to end up dead when they fly into windows (usually with a loud bang). They fly into the windows at my house two or three times a year even when the curtains or blinds are drawn, I suppose where there's no sense there's no feeling! Loads of wood pigeons about too, there's four on my back lawn as I type this!

Other birds don't seem to fare as well; a mistle thrush flew into a French door at my Mother's house on Sunday morning, and the poor thing was killed instantly. I think it might have flown at its own reflection, thinking it was a rival bird, in an attempt to drive it away from the rose hips it was guarding. It was very sad to see such a lovely looking (and uncommon) bird lying dead in the snow.

Last edited:

Try hitting a buzzard while riding a motorbike...........:eek:
Sadly the buzzard didn't survive. Luckily it was a lovely day on an empty road, all was well with the world and I was in no hurry to get home, otherwise I might not have survived either :(

It is amazing how hard a bang on a window a small bird will survive. I must have spent about an hour once nursing a chaffinch that bounced off my kitchen window. After one false start that ended in a heap it finally flew off seemingly none the worse.

Not sure if it just an illusion. Towards the top of the body, looks like a beak shape and possibly an eye. Like the birds head is twisted, which obviously would make sense.

PS
Yep, nice wing pattern.

I can see what you mean, it really does look like it's hit it, head-first, and squashed its neck in :(

Not sure if it just an illusion. Towards the top of the body, looks like a beak shape and possibly an eye. Like the birds head is twisted, which obviously would make sense.

PS
Yep, nice wing pattern.

I can see what you mean, it really does look like it's hit it, head-first, and squashed its neck in :(

Agreed. You can also see the tail feathers spread out, which I think is another indication that he must have hit the window really hard.

Try hitting a buzzard while riding a motorbike...........:eek:
Sadly the buzzard didn't survive. Luckily it was a lovely day on an empty road, all was well with the world and I was in no hurry to get home, otherwise I might not have survived either :(

It is amazing how hard a bang on a window a small bird will survive. I must have spent about an hour once nursing a chaffinch that bounced off my kitchen window. After one false start that ended in a heap it finally flew off seemingly none the worse.
I have been hit in the face, or rather the visor while doing about 70 on a bike on the motorway. I hit a big fat fly or something, as it was smeared all over my visor. :eek:

I once saw a motorcyclist get a wasp fly INTO his helmet.
He started yelling, and fell of the bike backwards, which carried on alone and ended up in a hedge, while he lay in the road frantically trying to remove his helmet.
Fortunately, he'd just turned out of a side road, so was only doing 15-20mph.

Surprisingly, the wasp survived, and flew away when the helmet came off.

I once saw a motorcyclist get a wasp fly INTO his helmet.
He started yelling, and fell of the bike backwards, which carried on alone and ended up in a hedge, while he lay in the road frantically trying to remove his helmet.
Fortunately, he'd just turned out of a side road, so was only doing 15-20mph.

Surprisingly, the wasp survived, and flew away when the helmet came off.
I can see a joke in there somewhere. :rolleyes:

Driving to work a couple of months ago I saw a wood pigeon flying across the road in front of me. A transit van was coming in the opposite direction and I had just enough time to think to myself "It's flying too low", when it hit the van where the windscreen and roof met and vanished in a shower of feathers. :(

To me those last couple of imprints look like they've been made by pigeons; they seem to be covered in grey 'dust', I can usually tell when they've used the bird bath as it has a grey film floating on it! For some reason pigeons rarely seem to end up dead when they fly into windows (usually with a loud bang). They fly into the windows at my house two or three times a year even when the curtains or blinds are drawn, I suppose where there's no sense there's no feeling! Loads of wood pigeons about too, there's four on my back lawn as I type this!

Other birds don't seem to fare as well; a mistle thrush flew into a French door at my Mother's house on Sunday morning, and the poor thing was killed instantly. I think it might have flown at its own reflection, thinking it was a rival bird, in an attempt to drive it away from the rose hips it was guarding. It was very sad to see such a lovely looking (and uncommon) bird lying dead in the snow.
Mine was definitely a woodie. The wretched thing was nesting in the conifer in the front garden.

I can see a joke in there somewhere. :rolleyes:
There's an Ogri cartoon where Malcolm is riding with his mouth open and ingests a bee. I must see if I can find it.

This isn't a sticker Wez, its the real thing
looking at the imprint you'd think the bird was a goner and in a heap under the window somewhere but no sign of it ??
The one time this happened I thought kids had kicked a football at the window. Looked out the window to see a dying pigeon (there's a roof directly outside the window). The neighbour's cat was quick to carry it away.

I remember my college lecturer, many many years ago, arriving in class with his “baldy” covered in cuts. The previous evening on his journey home, a duck must have been confused because of the low sun and tried to land on what it thought was water, straight through his windscreen and all over the back seat. It made a right mess of him and his motor

Mine was definitely a woodie. The wretched thing was nesting in the conifer in the front garden.

There's an Ogri cartoon where Malcolm is riding with his mouth open and ingests a bee. I must see if I can find it.
I am not sure if I have some mags left, I might have an old tatty one someplace. Loved reading Ogri's exploits, oh not forgetting Mitzi. :)

I have the original Ogri omnibus from 1981, still in excellent condition, but this came from a give-away poster in Bike. I was sure I had it and the old memory still works on occasions.....

commandment4.jpg

Back