I feel a little disillusioned.

I hake to agree, but a picture of a fish leaves me flat. Maybe this isn't the right plaice for them?

I think to engage people, a picture needs to tell a story, so however technically good a picture may be, if it doesn't entice the viewer to think about what's going on, it's not going to get attention.

If fish is what you like taking photographs of then why not make a project of it?
I think if you show a broader range of subject matter people may engage more.

On a side note. Why are fish so good for puns? If you can, be sure to let minnow.
Arrgghh. Sorry. Haha.

There's also a more "controversial" issue which can be explored when it comes to hobbies, the internet and our own state of mind. Multitudes of people from all walks will use the internet to find company and affirmation. Often something they find mildly interesting becomes a hobby because they find some common ground and eventually affirmation by a group of people, something they're lacking in their "real lives" and are therefore searching for. I've known many people do this and many years ago I think I probably did, too. Most of those hobbies get left behind when we find the root of the problem in our real lives and deal with them and the hobbies that are left afterwards are probably our true interests. I won't go deeper into that one as it's a huge subject by itself but sometimes it's worth taking a step back and trying to survey the broader picture.

Who do you take the pictures for, yourself or 100's of virtual friends on the internet?

You like photos of fish, I don't like the ones you have posted, but I do have pictures of fish I have taken when diving, they mean something to me, I was there underwater with them.
It does not matter what the subject is, it has to have meaning to the viewer for them to be interested in it.
You have that interest many others don't.

Do what you want, not what others want or what you think they want.

If you want to learn and get better and more furfilled with photography post pictures up here and ask for CC and go from there.

Pete
my 2p's worth

If you wish to gauge the popularity of your pictures it's always enlightening to use google's image search for some of the pictures you have posted on the web. That way you get to see if anyone likes your image enough to steal it!
Pictures which I've posted on Flickr or here, and which never received a single comment, have turned up in the strangest places.

I felt just like this- mainly when I wasn't really sure what I wanted out of photography. Establishing what that is helped enormously.

Photography is such a broad church and in my case I just wanted it to be enjoyable on my terms- I really like the process of learning the cameras themselves, taking pictures that I personally like of the subjects that personally interest me. Sharing the pictures with other people has lost a lot of its importance to me. What's good by anyone else's standards isn't that relevant. It's the process, outings and editing that give me most satisfaction.

This is world's away from how I used to approach it- I used to keep up stock portfolios, enter (and occasionally win) competitions , get published, exhibit in galleries, share to be liked etc.. All of that is cool but it didn't actually make me very happy. In fact it almost killed my interest completely. Letting go of the goal orientated nature of it was the key to me actually enjoying photography again. And obviously it's totally different for every individual- having specific ambitions is what a lot of people find most rewarding. No right or wrong but I think if you figure out exactly what you would you like out of it you will be happiest, whether that's popularity, achieving goals or just going your own way.

Back