I finally sorted my website

You site has a splash page, then asks me to choose a flash or html. What's the difference and why are you making me choose? Then when I click it opens in a pop up window. Why? Once that happened I closed the window and left.

Also on a macbook pro, the browser window isn't tall enough to see the buttons at the bottom, so I was left looking to see how to actually enter your site, then realised there is a scroll bar showing. Again, terrible design.

Also, why provide a link to a flash gallery and then an HTML gallery if they both do exactly the same thing?

Sorry to be so damning. Once these are sorted then I might look at the rest of your site, until then I'll do what a lot of visitors to your site are going to do... bounce.

You're site has a splash page, then asks me to choose a flash or html. What's the difference and why are you making me choose? Then when I click it opens in a pop up window. Why? Once that happened I closed the window and left.

Mabe not everyone has the flash plugin installed and not willing to install it on their computer to view my website. So i give the option of the html version.
I like opening the gallery in a new window as then i have control over the size of the window and final look of the gallery. I'm sorry you left because of a new window.

Mabe not everyone has the flash plugin installed and not willing to install it on their computer to view my website. So i give the option of the html version.
I like opening the gallery in a new window as then i have control over the size of the window and final look of the gallery. I'm sorry you left because of a new window.

Don't make the user choose if they don't have too.
Read up on this http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/

Also, I don't care if you like it opening up in a popup, I hate it and I'm visiting your site. I can guarantee that the majority of people here hate it too. You'll thank me for it eventually :D

Don't make the user choose if they don't have too.
Read up on this http://blog.deconcept.com/swfobject/

Also, I don't care if you like it opening up in a popup, I hate it and I'm visiting your site. I can guarantee that the majority of people here hate it too. You'll thank me for it eventually :D

Thanks for the link, I'll read up on that later. Also thanks for the honesty! :D

No worries, hope you get it sorted. I tend to sound ****ed off when talking about serious web mistakes, and tone it down with it's minor things lol.

Shane, Kayjay is making a very good point in a very bad way (seriously mate, you could have said that in hundreds of less condescending ways :cautious:)

But, SWFObject is a much better way of controlling non-flash users to your site. It's also very easy to setup.

The photo's are canny, just find a slightly better way to present them.

Shane, Kayjay is making a very good point in a very bad way (seriously mate, you could have said that in hundreds of less condescending ways :cautious:)

But, SWFObject is a much better way of controlling non-flash users to your site. It's also very easy to setup.

The photo's are canny, just find a slightly better way to present them.

Okay, thanks :D

ok... calm down folks. There isn't much point in everyone simply complementing each other. The long and short of it, is that the site is not user friendly and providing advice to that effect is well warranted.

Shane, the comments made are quite valid. I screwed up quite a bit trying to pull mine together. Sloppy code meant I had compatibility issues with different browsers, but utlimately, if you want the footfall and people to spend time looking at your site, navigation and user-friendliness has to be second nature...

Hi mate, like your front page but I am automatically drawn to click the main picture to enter the site, could I suggest linking this to the gallery and have it open in the same window, you may push people away having the other window open, also some software may detect the gallery as a pop-up and block it.

I could not view the flash gallery in Google Chrome so opted for the html one, but found the images looked too small on my screen 1920x1200 so could not really see the detail etc fully and lost the impact of some otherwise good images.

also there are better gallery software out there that would not require the user to scroll left and right when wanting to view more pictures

similar problems in opera.
I had to force it into flash and it looks just like it was thrown together with a as a photoshop CS gallery.
I tried clicking on the flower too, and in opera it wouldn't work without extra faffing around.
quite enjoyed the images but they're way too small for decent appreciation
also even though the images are teeny, the window in which they sit is huge...I'm on a monitor 160*1050 and it takes up most of the vertical space
checking on my laptop (1280*800) I can't even get into the site without scrolling down and hunting for the entry links. Then it gets worse.
There's got to be a better way mate
my website is pretty mediocre but you can view it in most browsers on a laptop res+

Thanks for the comments guys, back to the drawing board for me :)

Back