I got a 1000D today

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I finally joined the dslr gang today after much indecision about what to buy.

I ended up with:

Canon 1000D with kit lens.
Tamrac Bag.
Sandisk 2gb Ultra sd card.
58mm uv filter.
Screen cover.

I know that I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, but thanks to the fine members who share their tips & info on this fine forum I feel that it will make my learning task a little easier.

This is how I chose my camera if anyone is interested.

Sensor Cleaner. I realise that they are not 100% effective, but I preferred a body with it.

Image Stabilisation. I would rather see the effect through the viewfinder.

Live View. I could see some situations where it could be useful to me.

At this stage, I had a short list of the 1000D & the 450D.

After reading reviews of both cameras, I decided that I could live without the extra features that the 450D has over the 1000D. After trying it out to see how comfortable it felt in my hand & trying a few sample shots in my local friendly independant dealer's shop, I decided to go for it.

My local shop also took my 35mm compact camera in part ex as well. Many thanks to everyone who posts on this fine forum, after reading other members posts for a while now I feel that the transition from a point & shoot to a dslr will be made easier. I now understand loads more about shutter speeds, depth of field, etc.

Anyway, thanks again everyone, time to play & learn now!

Congrats on getting your DSLR:woot:

You'll notice heaps of difference from a compact! :) Just ask away and people will help as this is a very good forum with very helpful peeps :)

congratulations! I didnt know the 1000D has image stablisation, that sounds pretty awesome. Is it anything like the IS lenses?

congratulations! I didnt know the 1000D has image stablisation, that sounds pretty awesome. Is it anything like the IS lenses?

I think HH was probably refering to the 18-55 IS kit lens. As far as I'm aware the 1000D body doesn't have built in IS and neither do any of the Canon or Nikon cameras

Congratulations---ENJOY !
Pete.

I finally joined the dslr gang today

I'm sorry to hear that:shake: I take it that you didn't read any of the threads about lusting after L series lens's and being permanently broke then :shrug:

Have fun with it anyway(y)....but don't say I didn't warn you:LOL:

I have just got one as well.

Fantastic.

Btw the IS is in the lens not the camera.

When i whent in to LCE to buy a crumpler they had a 1000D in stock that had a non is lens on it:thinking:. I thought that all the 1000Ds/450Ds had the IS lens

rgrebby said:

markta said:
I think HH was probably refering to the 18-55 IS kit lens. As far as I'm aware the 1000D body doesn't have built in IS and neither do any of the Canon or Nikon cameras

Sorry if I caused any confusion, the 1000D does not have image stabilisation built in the body. It does come with an IS 18-55 kit lens.

Thanks for the kind comments chaps, I couldn't wait to get up this morning to have a play with it.

Back