I got the bug.....

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I have dabbled in macro before, but this is my first proper go at insects....it's actually quite fun. If anyone could tell me what the dragonfly is, I would much appreciate it.

These were all shot hand-held using natural light. I have seen a lot of images where apparently tripods were used, but in my experience insects don't stay still for long,(though this dragonfly was quite obliging). Any cruelty-free tips on keeping insects still would be welcome :) Also any tips/critique..

I think I like taking pictures of bugs....as if I didn't have enough to do already.

Dragonfly on flower by Jon, on Flickr

Dragonfly by Jon, on Flickr

Greenfly by Jon, on Flickr

Bee by Jon, on Flickr

Great pictures

Best part of bug macro picture taking is if they suddenly move.
I was up close on a wee spider the other day that was huge in the viewfinder and all was good, but then it moved, God I jumped but camera was low to ground so no damage when I dropped it

The dragonfly is a Common Darter.

The cruelty free tips

1) Wait till they rest. Bigger one like the dragonfly / butterflies can readily be taken hand held in natural light.
2) Use some flash. The flash then "freezes" the subject. Especially useful on flies and the like.

The dragonfly is a Common Darter.

The cruelty free tips

1) Wait till they rest. Bigger one like the dragonfly / butterflies can readily be taken hand held in natural light.
2) Use some flash. The flash then "freezes" the subject. Especially useful on flies and the like.

Brilliant, thanks for the reply! I don't have a flash, so stuck with natural light for now.

Nice set of images Jon, with some good comp' and colour. The last two would be my preferred shots.(y)

George.

Back