I hate fish... (pullback included)

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
But they make a cool photo.

Bought me a Bream to take a picture of, then found out the best way to cook it, including 'smoking the pan' prep. Smelled divine (once it was cooked), looks pretty tasty too. But you couldn't pay me to eat it.

Pull back for setup, pretty simples... added grids on the finished food shot. Also did something I never do - used a custom white balance in camera from the beginning rather than fixing it in post. Worked a treat. Lastolite Ezybox Hotshoe, Mini Difflector TriGrip and an EzyBalance, Colorama Colormatt for the background.

Thanks for looking!

(ps - square crops for instagram, so sorry about that)

Bream dude by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Bream by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Bream Pullback by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Last edited:
Swapped the first picture out - not sure why the preview doesn't show anymore on the homepage.. ??

Test.

The forum software is trying to read the deleted image as there is still a trace left.
Try renaming the image, or if you did, give it the same name as the original one, either way, delete and repost.

Last edited:
Something looks fishy here lol
Always know its your photos from the homepage shot (strange that aint it)
Very nice shots of something that I`m sure would also taste as good as it looks.
I`m not going to comment on the technical side as I know nothing about that side of tography :D

Looks great. Spooky really as on a Tuesday we have the Father in law over for tea "Fish" he brings it and loves it I eat it as it makes his day but it aint my fav either. This Tuesday as we prepared the fish we were both saying that I should photogragh one as it looked so cool.
You proved it too :)

Gaz

ps: nice idea to lie it flat and light it so it looks stood up. That trick would pass me right by for sure !

Last edited:
Looks great. Spooky really as on a Tuesday we have the Father in law over for tea "Fish" he brings it and loves it I eat it as it makes his day but it aint my fav either. This Tuesday as we prepared the fish we were both saying that I should photogragh one as it looked so cool.
You proved it too :)

Gaz

ps: nice idea to lie it flat and light it so it looks stood up. That trick would pass me right by for sure !
Lol... It was standing up! Lol... The pullback was for a different pic :)

I love fish, especially bream, and I love the character you've caught in the first one. Wouldn't kiss him though :)

The in-the-pan shot is less successful than the others but I can't put my finger on why. I think it's partly because the head and tail are in shadow and the other bits and pieces in the shot don't quite gel :thinking:.

fwiw - which is not much at all - I was taught to cut the fins off before cooking. Looks better with them on though.

Back