I hate Fuji!

well, in film days there were loads of competitors for Leica , but Leica stays Leica , they know who they are.

as for this Fuji - I absolutely love it . and it's a total must have for me .

Not only DPR, but Fuji themselves have made it clear they are targeting Leica. It doesn't have to be a rangefinder, it just has to target the same market demographic.

From the buzz on the forums, including the Leica forums, it would seem that plenty of folks who might have stretched to a Leica might now see no need. If that's the case, then Leica have a real problem on their hands.

The £5k manual rangefinder full frame demographic is different and a lot more niche than the crop sensor EVIL demographic. It looks like it is aiming at the NEX-7 price wise with the styling of a rangefinder/X100. The M mount is good for Leica though as they make some of the best M mount lenses which people will want to buy if they buy this Fuji.

The NEX vs XPro will be good to see.

I had a play with one of these todays, seems like a fantastic camera. I actually went into the shop because I had time to spare and wanted to muck about with a Nex7 - see what all the hype was about (I got bored of the Nex7 quite quick; I'm not a fan EVFs and the Nex7 did nothing to change my mind). To my surprise there was an XPro-1 just next to it so I had an extended play and liked it a lot. I'd recommend anyone looking at the Nex7 to have a look at the Fuji before making up their mind.

I also had a play with Fuji in Focus. Disappointed. The optical viewfinder looked like cheap holga lens, and years behind anything I've seen from the 60s. EVF, on the other hand, was, slow, harsh and not very eye friendly at all.
Sony wasn't there so I can't compare but given Fuji's claim about it's EVF quality I don't expect any miracles either.

Sorry but at the price 7D / D7000 is a no brainer. With a small prime they are just as bag-able as Xpro1.

Back