I hate my teeth

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, I am now nearly £700 worse off than I was a few weeks ago and my teeth still hurt.
£190 to fill 2 teeth, £90 to prep one of the same teeth and fit a temp crown, so drilling and filling that was a waste of time and money, £415 to drill, root canal same tooth (final crown still to be made and paid for - no idea what that will cost yet). And to make matters worse the other tooth, on the other side of my mouth that was filled hurts like Hell and feels like it needs drilling and a root canal, unless it's an abscess, so another waste of time and money.
All told I have had pain for about a month, lost 4 half days pay as I am self employed, spent nearly £700, had a painful root canal done (my 3rd so far), ask anyone who's had one what they think of them (Michael MacIntyre's sketch comes to mind) and frightened to eat cos it friggin hurts so much to either chew down on anything except soup or I go into orbit if it's hot or cold.
Still the good news is the Mamiya I loved and sold has paid for some of it :-(

Not a happy bunny.

Time to

Invest in an electric toothbrush.
Get some brushes.
start flossing.
Brush your tongue.
Take care of your gums.

Time to

Invest in an electric toothbrush.
Get some brushes.
start flossing.
Brush your tongue.
Take care of your gums.
Tick to all of those already.

Last edited:
Clearly something isn't right. Teeth don't rot by themselves. Do you go for check ups every 6 months too and a hygienist appointment?
Trouble is they are big old molars that are full of old amalgam fillings from when I was a young boy and they are obviously at the end of their life. I have been under the dentist for the last 6 weeks and he missed the signs with this tooth, which is now keeping me awake and hoped a new filling would solve the other one which needed rooting.

We arrived in New York last Wednesday afternoon to visit our pregnant daughter and her husband and by the evening I had toothache. It got progressively worse and by Friday morning I was almost screaming in agony.

My daughter arranged for me to visit the only emergency dentist seemingly in NYC at a moments notice. The fact he was in Harlem didn’t even register. The equipment was probably new in 1975 but everyone smiled at me which was nice.

After an x-ray he said “Laurence, your mouth is a disaster and that tooth is a catastrophe, it’s coming out today”.
30 minutes later it was out and I was $450 poorer and he was discussing implants with me, I was not receptive!
It’s wonderful being out of pain and I feel yours.

So at the risk of using TP like Gumsnet here's an update
Jeez that hurt. Another rooting required, phase one today get the nerve cleaned up via some sort of muck pushed into the pulp, jeez that hurt a lot. I cried it hurt so much, next week drill out the dead pulp and I reckon that's going to hurt too.
More next week.

Over the past 5 years, I've had several extractions as well as too many root canals and a cap fitting (after root canal work on the host.) Other than the ache after the extractions, the pain was controlled by the local anaesthetic injections. Well worth whatever extra the jabs cost me IMO!

I had anesthesia but apparently if the pulp is inflamed/infected it doesn't get absorbed so doesn't actually work, don't I know it. The good news though is whatever he shoved down the hole has done some seriously good work and the pain has gone, hopefully next week won't hurt anywhere near as much, other than my wallet but tbh I think I would have paid anything.

It's worth noting that what dentists use as anaesthetic doesn't affect everyone - some people get no relief at all, I only get about 80% numbing but I have much more my pupils dilate and I get high.

Also interesting that the gene mutation that causes red hair & fair skin is linked to poor response to local anaesthetic

It's worth noting that what dentists use as anaesthetic doesn't affect everyone - some people get no relief at all, I only get about 80% numbing but I have much more my pupils dilate and I get high.

And with me, it works too well. I can have anaesthetic at 10:00 in the morning and it starts wearing off in the evening!

Steve.

My wife is a dental hygienist in Leeds and comes home with some real horror stories.
There is still a real myth amongst British people that you only go to a dentist when something start hurting and that regular check ups are for whimps.

she says the worst offenders are middle age men/woman with decades of poor care of there teeth and now expect the NHS or private dentist to fix the damage.

I would say to anyone go twice a year for a checkup and a quick visit to see the hygienists to have a really good clean and get advice.

not understanding that you cannot fix a tooth that has gone beyond a certain point.

not understanding that you cannot fix a tooth that has gone beyond a certain point.
I was quite happy to have it ripped out, it's the very rear molar, so not really visible but he wants to save it!!!
Generally I have looked after my teeth, dont smoke or eat many/any sweets or sugar in my drinks (these days), the damage was all done when I was younger and they filled me up with amalgam fillings to the point I set off airport security alarms :)

I was quite happy to have it ripped out, it's the very rear molar, so not really visible but he wants to save it!!!
Generally I have looked after my teeth, dont smoke or eat many/any sweets or sugar in my drinks (these days), the damage was all done when I was younger and they filled me up with amalgam fillings to the point I set off airport security alarms :)

yep I am the same got a few very old amalgam fillings, my wife has replaced two of mine with percaline ones which are much stronger and I did have to have one of my rear ones removed as well about 5 years ago as it was just done for.

If you can get rid off the amalgam fillings,as they expand under heat and can cause tiny cracks.At least this is what happened to me according to my dentist...maybe he just wanted the extra cash

Final installment today, drilled cover filling out, cleaned out anything he could find, filled with stuff for some reason, re-filled with a white filling and £460 poorer for this tooth.
So total bill (to date, no crowns fitted yet) a tad under £1200 for two root canals (and much pain) or about the same price as a nice white lens, hmm, not sure which I would have bought given the choice. :)

Get a set of false teeth,no more pain.:D:p:exit:

Oh dear I,m now 72 ,got all my original teeth bar two ,not been to the dentists for about 25 years .and about 5 times in my life . . must have done something right I suppose

Oh dear I,m now 72 ,got all my original teeth bar two ,not been to the dentists for about 25 years .and about 5 times in my life . . must have done something right I suppose
Your generation was built like brick out-houses, my Dad's 88 and still going strong :)

I feel your pain, recently. After months of raging toothache but I kept putting off going to the dentist, finally I've had what was a rotten molar extracted recently. It was the first time I've been to a dentist in 20 years, but thankfully the extraction was text-book style and the relief afterwards was almost instantaneous.

I'm aged 50 and still have all my teeth, bar two, which is amazing considering the amount of fizzy pop I've drank over the decades but I've always brushed my teeth at the end of each day ever since my boarding school day. Although I've stopped drinking coca cola stone cold dead six years ago and haven't touched a drop since then but that was more to do with being worried about what it was doing to my guts.

yep I am the same got a few very old amalgam fillings, my wife has replaced two of mine with percaline ones which are much stronger and I did have to have one of my rear ones removed as well about 5 years ago as it was just done for.

I had three years of treatment taking out the very poor fillings put in by average at best air force dentists and replaced with decent ones, which happen to be white.
Again we were of the age when fluoride was just starting, it seems to be doing well for the kids these days.

You must have had the opportunity to choose your parents :), genetics are a big factor in tooth decay and preservation. This, coupled with an ability to clean your teeth assiduously and use correct technique are what has preserved your teeth. A good diet may also have been a factor. I am 71, my mouth is a disaster according to the New York dentist I mentioned earlier. I only have 3 upper teeth and and worn a denture for 40 years, I'll be damned if I'm going to have a denture for the lower jaw so it's implants for me to replace the 3 taken out in the last month.
Playing as a rugby prop and NHS dentistry (whip 'em out quick) is what did for me in the 1960's.

The days of the "Australian trench", as dug by antipodean dentists who milked the NHS system of paying dentists by the filling. A few of the dentists did good work but all too many buggered off back to Australia before the fillings fell out.

You must have had the opportunity to choose your parents :), genetics are a big factor in tooth decay and preservation. This, coupled with an ability to clean your teeth assiduously and use correct technique are what has preserved your teeth. A good diet may also have been a factor. I am 71, my mouth is a disaster according to the New York dentist I mentioned earlier. I only have 3 upper teeth and and worn a denture for 40 years, I'll be damned if I'm going to have a denture for the lower jaw so it's implants for me to replace the 3 taken out in the last month.
Playing as a rugby prop and NHS dentistry (whip 'em out quick) is what did for me in the 1960's.

if you knew how totally wrong you were you would roll up in a ball laughing . the complete opposite of what you have written in fact

Rarely eat fruit ,I’m a pie and mash man ,might if I’m in the mood or the wife tells me get the toothbrush going a few times a year ,my teeth as stated are all my own they are a normal white colour not in the least bit yellow ,I drink copious amounts of pop daily so perhaps the answer is not having let dentists play there money-making game in the first place . My smoking habits are probably around 10 cigars a year when the need takes me ,I quit smoking cigs around ten years ago so go figure

Rarely eat fruit ,I’m a pie and mash man ,might if I’m in the mood or the wife tells me get the toothbrush going a few times a year ,my teeth as stated are all my own they are a normal white colour not in the least bit yellow ,I drink copious amounts of pop daily so perhaps the answer is not having let dentists play there money-making game in the first place . My smoking habits are probably around 10 cigars a year when the need takes me ,I quit smoking cigs around ten years ago so go figure
No need to figure too much, it’s definitely your genes then. Got any to spare?

Got some old ones in the wardrobe ,going a bit thin round the knees ,what size do you need :banana::banana:

Back