I hate this game..... Football (puke) pt 1

Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Yes that is right I hate football with a passion :puke:
But as Im trying to learn as many different types of photography as I can I have to try IT, and I`ll have to go back and do IT again :thumbsdown: to get it right

Anyway here are a few I took.

CC Please

no 1
DSC_7729_copy1.jpg

no 2
DSC_7781_copy.jpg

no 3
DSC_7886_copy.jpg
[/img]

no 4
DSC_7974_copy.jpg

thankyou :bonk:

Not bad, but you need to separate the players from the background.
Try: Faster lens (if you can) f2.8 is whats needed
or : get the people nearer and the background further away
or : lower angle

I agree with OG....you need to be down low so you lose most of the grass. Watch the togs on MOTD....they're all sitting so that there's no foreground and the background blurrs to isolate the players.

Bob

Thanx guys got you I need to be lower.
I dont watch MOTD and that took some working out :D
As for the dof I was going for f6.3 to f5.6 to keep some sharpness but I will drop it next time out and Ill get much lower just been looking in the news paper and I see what you mean (y)

we have already spoke about it:) we need to get behind the goal(y)

we have already spoke about it:) we need to get behind the goal(y)

Yes and we need to get lower, I have had a look again in todays papers...AT the back for a rare change and yes I see what you all mean (y)
thanx

Your certainly having a go at different styles.
All I can say is watch the backgrounds.

Practice in what ever style does work. I can not believe how my stuff has improved over the past year. Keep it up!

Nice shots of levitating players:D:D

But as Im trying to learn as many different types of photography as I can I have to try IT, and I`ll have to go back and do IT again :thumbsdown: to get it right

Why?

If you hate football so much why are do you have photograph it? What is taking photos of something you hate going to teach you? If you want to take shots of any sport you have to learn about it. I can't see why you'd want to learn about something you obviously hate unless you wanted to convey that hatred within the body of your work but I don't see any of that here. So, I'll leave where I came in ...

Why?

Why?

If you hate football so much why are do you have photograph it? [snip]

Why?

But as Im trying to learn as many different types of photography as I can I have to try IT,
thankyou :bonk:

the answer is in the first post.

IMO it doesn't matter if its football, rugby, crosscountry running, polo .............................the list is endless, the subjects are moving quickly, unpredictably and in natural light, its all practice and football matches like this are easy to find every weekend. ;)

no2 makes me :) I hate football as well

the answer is in the first post.

IMO it doesn't matter if its football, rugby, crosscountry running, polo .............................the list is endless, the subjects are moving quickly, unpredictably and in natural light, its all practice and football matches like this are easy to find every weekend. ;)

But to what end? Taking photos at a football match isn't going to benefit any other form of photography as much as having a go at that form itself. To get the most out of shooting sport, you have to know the sport, when you do the players' movements aren't that unpredictable.

My question still stands, why shoot something you hate for the sake of 'practice' when you could practice on something you like?

Hello ok the reason I hate football is endless from over paid players, to violence, Pampered players, overcharged for almost anything to do with football, I could go on (not that it has anything to do with photography) so I hate football my opinion. (y) (family love it)
I feel if I want to broaden my skills (for what they are) in as many different aspects of photography as I can covering sport(s), still life, macro, landscapes etc etc.
And in sport as much as I dislike it stands football this is a massive sport and if I dont practice it and get asked to cover some kids footy match to nephews pub match and I turn up (as you have to for family) with All The Gear and NO Idea that would not look good and quite unprofessional.
There are many things in life we dislike to hate but we have to do them, and I try do to the best of my ability

Bit like
A chef hates making chips, but his family love them
You hate DIY but you have to master it to save money
School plays but you sit through them and :clap::wave:

Anyway Northern Nikon did you like my shots or not? if not how could I improve them CC Please (y):D
Amen :puke: phew!

Gibbo, your thread title is absurd then given that the photos that you've shot involve none of the reasons why you hate the game. Don't be such a bloody drama queen.

However, congratulations on getting a decent length thread whilst displaying mediocre photos. I wish my use of two cameras at a match would encourage such debate!

Well, I have to agree with Gibbo, theres things I am not keen on shooting but I make sure i have the experience in the bank so if a commision comes up I will know what am doing and return a quality product.

Football is someting I don't make a habit to photograph as I don't personally like the game but if comisioned I will shoot it. You don't have to like a sport to be good at getting good images. Knowing the sport is different, that will make a difference to your shooting.

The images, really whats been said, DOF, cropping and shooting height. Maybe a bit of exp compensation as the whites are blown out. Keep snapping and doing what you are doing and bank the experience.

Iain

Gibbo, your thread title is absurd then given that the photos that you've shot involve none of the reasons why you hate the game. Don't be such a bloody drama queen.

However, congratulations on getting a decent length thread whilst displaying mediocre photos. I wish my use of two cameras at a match would encourage such debate!

Touchy :baby: It was a light hearted comment.

And have you nothing to add to what is wrong with my mediocre photos ??

I would like to to advise me on how to improve them.... please I await

Well, I have to agree with Gibbo, theres things I am not keen on shooting but I make sure i have the experience in the bank so if a commision comes up I will know what am doing and return a quality product.

Football is someting I don't make a habit to photograph as I don't personally like the game but if comisioned I will shoot it. You don't have to like a sport to be good at getting good images. Knowing the sport is different, that will make a difference to your shooting.

The images, really whats been said, DOF, cropping and shooting height. Maybe a bit of exp compensation as the whites are blown out. Keep snapping and doing what you are doing and bank the experience.

Iain

Thanx for that Iain as the title says :-

And that is what Im trying to do, and for the reasons you have stated. Not a debate on why I hate football, it was just a passing comment.

And that is what Im trying to do, and for the reasons you have stated. Not a debate on why I hate football, it was just a passing comment.

Why mention it then? What would have been relevent would have been mentioning what you wanted to achieve with the shots rather than go on about how much you hate the sport. I'd much rather spend the time critting photos of someone who has a passion for the subject rather than someone who wants to be a jack-of-all trades. As you've asked though I'll give my feedback.

2 & 4 are no good as the action is moving away from you and no-one is going to want to see the back of someone's head unless they are recognisable by it or there's something very special about the shot. From your position I would have focused on the keeper and waited until the striker had pulled the trigger.

No. 1 is th best of the bunch but needs to be cropped tighter and a larger aperture would have thrown the distracting background out of focus. It looks like you've blown the highlights on the number 8's shirt too.

No. 3, This is a bit of a nothing shot, just two men running after the ball. Your time seems to be a little premature and I would have waited until the tackle went in to capture that. Again the highlights seem to have been blown.

Touchy :baby: It was a light hearted comment.

And have you nothing to add to what is wrong with my mediocre photos ??

I would like to to advise me on how to improve them.... please I await
Light hearted enough to devote two thread titles to it I see?!!

You want to improve your football photos? Take a look at a few of mine and see how it's done by someone with a genuine passion for it.

I'd much rather spend the time critting photos of someone who has a passion for the subject rather than someone who wants to be a jack-of-all trades

Take a look at a few of mine and see how it's done by someone with a genuine passion for it.
I think you guys are being a little bit pretentious. Calm yourself. We are all here to learn.

Iain

Why mention it then? What would have been relevent would have been mentioning what you wanted to achieve with the shots rather than go on about how much you hate the sport. I'd much rather spend the time critting photos of someone who has a passion for the subject rather than someone who wants to be a jack-of-all trades. As you've asked though I'll give my feedback.

2 & 4 are no good as the action is moving away from you and no-one is going to want to see the back of someone's head unless they are recognisable by it or there's something very special about the shot. From your position I would have focused on the keeper and waited until the striker had pulled the trigger.

No. 1 is th best of the bunch but needs to be cropped tighter and a larger aperture would have thrown the distracting background out of focus. It looks like you've blown the highlights on the number 8's shirt too.

No. 3, This is a bit of a nothing shot, just two men running after the ball. Your time seems to be a little premature and I would have waited until the tackle went in to capture that. Again the highlights seem to have been blown.

Finally NN thankyou for the advice, All taken on board. (y)

I think you guys are being a little bit pretentious. Calm yourself. We are all here to learn.

Iain
Yes, there may seem a danger of that in my response but mine is borne from the frustration of taking the effort to post content here which I think is interesting and innovative and getting very little response yet this guy can post how much he hates the game, post a few mediocre shots and then get a thread going into two pages!

Light hearted enough to devote two thread titles to it I see?!!

You want to improve your football photos? Take a look at a few of mine and see how it's done by someone with a genuine passion for it.

Umm I have looked at yours, perhaps you need to read the tips NN has given me (above) regarding certain shots you have on your rather vast site with lots of football on it (y)

But bitching aside I have learnt many tips from you all and all I can do is take this advice and learn from it (y)
1. Watch the title :D (main tip)
2. Get low
3. shoot from behind the net
4. Have people (sorry players) moving towards me
5. Sorry cant drum up any passion for `the game`
too many touchy people get upset far too easy :nono:
sorry I digress
6. watch my metering (tbh Im not too sure what happend there, carelessness probably)

And many others tips/advice I have read.
I will try again and become that Jack of all photography and master of none and look forward to yours & other(S) advice.

After all WE are ALL here to learn.... are we not :shrug:

No No No!!! Down with football, jail the players, demolish the grounds and build social housing estates instead!

<-- Another footie hater here! lol

but mine is borne from the frustration of taking the effort to post content here which I think is interesting and innovative and getting very little response yet this guy can post how much he hates the game, post a few mediocre shots and then get a thread going into two pages!

So basically what your saying is your getting p****d off because no one is looking at your photos, strangely enough it would appear that the fact you keep going on about it is adding to the length of the thread lol, take a chill pill mate, as has already been said where all here to learn from one another.

Nice start to sport photography Gibbo whatever your reasons, like 3 & 4 (y)

Back