Beginner I have a Canon SX IS 20 at the moment, I'm thinking of upgrading, should I?

Name
Richard Allen
Edit My Images
No
Above.

The Canon suits my needs and was free from CEX as in July 2019 I traded in a load of games and got more than the price of the camera. I recently got about £25 worth of vouchers from CEX by trading in some more stuff, should I spend it on a new camera? I hate Sony for various reasons but I hear they do good cameras.

Should I look on the CEX website for a cheap preowned Sony DSLR camera?

I guess that depends on a) what you need your camera for, b) whether your current one is falling short or not and c) available budget.

Above.

The Canon suits my needs and was free from CEX as in July 2019 I traded in a load of games and got more than the price of the camera. I recently got about £25 worth of vouchers from CEX by trading in some more stuff, should I spend it on a new camera? I hate Sony for various reasons but I hear they do good cameras.

Should I look on the CEX website for a cheap preowned Sony DSLR camera?

The Canon suits your needs but as you're asking the question I'd imagine that you've had the thought that you might want something.... better?

I don't know if hating a company like Sony makes a lot of sense but then again my experiences with Ford when I had them as company cars scarred me for life and I did a little happy dance when my local branch of the AA closed. That's the Automotive Association not Alcoholics Anonymous.

Other than that, Sony and others are into mirrorless these days rather than DSLR's and I'd recommend anyone looking to get into these sort of cameras to go mirrorless rather than buy into older tech DSLR's. I'd imagine just about anything from Micro Four Thirds and up though APS-C to Full Frame would be a step up from a small sensor compact.

If you don't fancy an interchangeable lens camera you could look at a 1" sensor camera, you can even get quite compact ones like the Panasonic TZ100/200 and the Sony RX100 series. Whatever you look at I think you'll realise that £25 wont go far and that this is a slippery slope :D

Maybe you could have a think about what's important to you, what sort of pictures you'd like to take, how/if you feel the Canon limits or frustrates you and how much you're willing to spend?

Back