I have an apology to make

lindsay

Admin
Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
I wish to offer my apologies to all photographers out there.

About 6 months ago I decided to get back into photography after a lengthy gap in interest. Having reviewed my existing kit and bought some stuff on eBay etc, I actually started togging a few months ago. Since when the weather has been almost unremittingly shiiite, or so it seems to me. So, having broad shoulders, I am willing to take the opprobrium that is my due for causing this difficulty and hiatus in everyone's hobby and work. It was the same when we got 2 horses in 2009 - we had the coldest snowiest winter for years. And throughout my career as a hobby private pilot, I was forever stymied by inappropriate weather when I fancied going aviating. Rare were the days that I had the perfect weather, always either too windy, too hazy, low cloud... although I sometimes tricked the weather gods by talking about staying home and then surprising them by disappearing into the wild blue yonder all of a sudden. So, I promise not to openly talk or even think of going out with a camera in the future unless we all just fancy a toddy by the fire. I will pretend to take up stamp-collecting or navel-gazing for a pastime, and play more tricks on the weather gods.

anyone for tennis? Oh, sorry, another outdoor weather-dependent pastime. Cheaper than all the other hobbies though...

Stamp collecting would be a good idea when you are looking out the window at the pouring rain and the gale force winds ;)

Not just you Lindsay
I'm an astronomer. Buy a new telescope (or any other bit of kit) and you can guarentee that by the time you get to use it you've forgotten you've bought it...............

Yesterday it was a glorious morning here (Shropshire), I had an afternoon of photography planned at the dog racing. I thought this will be good, a nice bright day means I can keep the iso down and have a fast shutter speed. So I get to the dog track, first race at 2pm. So what happens at 1:55pm, it rains, then is overcast for the rest of the afternoon. I ended up with an iso of about 5000—6400, which for my camera is really pushing the limits of acceptability.
But hey ho, it's not the end of world, it was still an enjoyable afternoon.

Not just you Lindsay
I'm an astronomer. Buy a new telescope (or any other bit of kit) and you can guarentee that by the time you get to use it you've forgotten you've bought it...............

That was something I didn't mention - I have both dark sky and solar telescopes that have not been excessively used!

Pure lack of imagination there Lindsay. There is always something to make a photograph of. Even in inclement weather. What about some still life or macro . Shot indoors.

Apology not accepted! Whilst I like the humour, shiiiite weather is THE best weather for photography. On the other hand, the very worst weather is a sunny day. No question at all, if you want something interesting, get out and about, especially when everyone else is staying home. To put my money where my mouth is, last month I forced myself to get out of a warm house on a ****ing cold night and freeze my nuts off standing on a bridge over a motorway. But the shot has now been published on National Geographic's web page, and what's more, paid for. Result! Image here. So no apologies accepted , faux or otherwise.

@vetonbike @Nick Owen OK guys, you spotted my tongue in my cheek. I agree with both of you - and since this months FPOTY challenge is "wet", I'm spending some time choosing from my old film cameras and ordering in some HP5 to get out in the weather. However there are also other challenges here and elsewhere that have "whetted" my appetite and will be a mix of indoor and outdoor exercises, a mix of film and digital.

I would like to apologise for the weather in 2019, specifically between March and May in the North Wales and Scotland areas. I am buying a new motorbike and intend to go touring for a month or two, expect lots and lots of rain! It will not be interesting downpours but continuous drizzle that gets into the most waterproof of clothing and endless grey skies for week after week. Sorry guys!
On the other hand Cornwall will be bathed in sunshine at the same time and into the summer whilst I am too busy to get out on the bike.

I see your strategy @Bearair - you're trying to fool the weather gods as to where you'll really be in those months. It's my betting they'll just dump on the whole west of the UK to get their way with you. But I have a cunning plan: plan a tour of the Costa Blanca in that period, just to fool them

I find the title somewhat misleading, as it sounds more like moaners corner

No, not in a corner, the weather is everywhere :exit:

I would like to apologise for the weather in 2019, specifically between March and May in the North Wales and Scotland areas. I am buying a new motorbike and intend to go touring for a month or two, expect lots and lots of rain! It will not be interesting downpours but continuous drizzle that gets into the most waterproof of clothing and endless grey skies for week after week. Sorry guys!
On the other hand Cornwall will be bathed in sunshine at the same time and into the summer whilst I am too busy to get out on the bike.

You'll be fine in Scotland because I'll be there, and it never rains (every day) when I'm there. And if you do get damp I'm sure you'll make an excellent midge mop.....................;)

I wish to offer my apologies to all photographers out there.

About 6 months ago I decided to get back into photography after a lengthy gap in interest. Having reviewed my existing kit and bought some stuff on eBay etc, I actually started togging a few months ago. Since when the weather has been almost unremittingly shiiite, or so it seems to me. So, having broad shoulders, I am willing to take the opprobrium that is my due for causing this difficulty and hiatus in everyone's hobby and work. It was the same when we got 2 horses in 2009 - we had the coldest snowiest winter for years. And throughout my career as a hobby private pilot, I was forever stymied by inappropriate weather when I fancied going aviating. Rare were the days that I had the perfect weather, always either too windy, too hazy, low cloud... although I sometimes tricked the weather gods by talking about staying home and then surprising them by disappearing into the wild blue yonder all of a sudden. So, I promise not to openly talk or even think of going out with a camera in the future unless we all just fancy a toddy by the fire. I will pretend to take up stamp-collecting or navel-gazing for a pastime, and play more tricks on the weather gods.

anyone for tennis? Oh, sorry, another outdoor weather-dependent pastime. Cheaper than all the other hobbies though...
And I thought it was because I'd washed the car. I feel loads better knowing that it's your fault [emoji3][emoji6]

Back