I have made the jump

• Thread starter Rob.Richards
  • Start date
R

Rob.Richards

Well I am excited and a little nervous, I have gone from digital to film! I have just bought me a great condition Canon EOS 5! Very reasonable at £50 inc new battery, original strap and instructions!

My logic is that to but the equivalent quality in digital would cost a fortune and it will use my 50mm f1.8 and 105mm macro lenses and hopefully teach me more about being careful with my images rather than depending on being able to delete rubbish shots!

I have been reading up and have so many questions!

To start off with do I need different colour filters for the white balance? Also can I use a circular polariser or do in need a linear one,,,

Firstly, well done, That is a good price. Secondly, well done, Film>Digital. Otherwise, what film do you plan on using (with regards to correction filters) and a CPL will be what you need for any AF lens.

Cheers! I am looking at velvia 50 to start off with, I just like the look of all the images taken with it!

There is no concept of white balance as such. There are different types of films - Daylight, frurocent etc. Most of the time we use daylight films. With this film, in daylight, white is always white. Since flash is of the same temperature as daylight; daylight film is also perfect for flash.

For other kinds of light - say fluroscent - either one has to use fluroscent balanced film or a daylight film with appropriate filter to get white as white. But to begin with, daylight balanced film is good enough.

Usually SLR needs a circular polariser filter; ( with some exceptions; but to be safe use circular polariser....).

best of luck

Well I am excited and a little nervous, I have gone from digital to film! I have just bought me a great condition Canon EOS 5! Very reasonable at £50 inc new battery, original strap and instructions!

My logic is that to but the equivalent quality in digital would cost a fortune and it will use my 50mm f1.8 and 105mm macro lenses and hopefully teach me more about being careful with my images rather than depending on being able to delete rubbish shots!

I have been reading up and have so many questions!

To start off with do I need different colour filters for the white balance? Also can I use a circular polariser or do in need a linear one,,,

Nooooooooo you fell for that one :LOL::LOL:

I did the samething last year but got a EOS 3.............FF on a budget

Now i have a 5DMKII :D

Great minds think alike! ..... (don't want to go to the rest of it because I am going the same) :LOL:

Since my move to photography I seem to be diving in at all angles. I purchased a DSLR which I am still getting a handle of. I was also given an old Konica Autoreflex TC and have access to a Canon EOS 500N.

On top of all that I have also been offered a full range of darkroom equipment, so it looks like I am going to be a bit of a 'cross-over' with my photography learning experience :)

Would be :cool: to hear about your learning. Maybe we can be 'study buddies'?

Dawn :)

And here - another EOS-3, but lack of funds has just left me wanting the 5Dii, rather than buying one (but one day, one day........) :LOL:

There are a number of filters available to correct colour casts when using daylight film:

80 series (80A/80B) for shooting in tungsten light;
FL-D for using in fluorescent light;
81 series (81A/81B) for 'warming up' the colours;
82 series (82A/82B) for 'cooling down' the colours.

There are a number of filters available to correct colour casts when using daylight film:

80 series (80A/80B) for shooting in tungsten light;
FL-D for using in fluorescent light;
81 series (81A/81B) for 'warming up' the colours;
82 series (82A/82B) for 'cooling down' the colours.

Hi Carl V,

I have been watching your comments to posts and you appear very knowledgeable in the subject of developing and processing (especially via dark room).

I hope you don't mind if I also jump in and draw on your experience and knowledge too.

There is no better way to learn than from one who has the skill.

You are obviously a very valuable TP member and I read all your posts with much studiousness.

Thank you

Hi Carl V,

I have been watching your comments to posts and you appear very knowledgeable in the subject of developing and processing (especially via dark room).

Hello Dawn, and thank you for your kind comments.

I assure you I am not a professional - I wish I was. I certainly have no experience with colour processing. I only shoot in black & white nowadays and I do enjoy darkroom work but I honestly wouldn't say I was as good as that. Thanks anyway.

By all means feel free to ask anything and I'll do my best but I think you'll find there are other darkroom users on the forum who have much more knowledge than me.

Hello Dawn, and thank you for your kind comments.

I assure you I am not a professional - I wish I was. I certainly have no experience with colour processing. I only shoot in black & white nowadays and I do enjoy darkroom work but I honestly wouldn't say I was as good as that. Thanks anyway.

By all means feel free to ask anything and I'll do my best but I think you'll find there are other darkroom users on the forum who have much more knowledge than me.

Thanks Carl V, you are most welcome of the praise. :)

The whole photography experience is new to me, but I have such a 'bee in my bonet at the mo' and can't say I have been this enthusiastic about anything, ever!

You mention that there may be others who are more experienced regards processing here, but they don't stand out as much as you do! If they are willing to come forward, great! But for now I am quite comfortable to chat to you if you are okay with that. If you do know of anyone here who would be able to provide further advice, information, techniques, etc., then that would be greatly appreaciated, thanks.

I have found that in this 'TP family' we all have to start somewhere. And I am so much enjoying chatting to peeps here (even in 'out of focus') just for a bit of lightheartedness.

I am so addicted to this forum and spend every opp in the day to be here. I can't express how much I have learned in the short time I have been here, I just wish I had more time (or better still someone pay me to live here) :LOL:

Thanks for the offer, I will surely be in contact with you soon. You seem like such a genuine character and a true assest to TP.

Cheers

Well done, my dad shoots an EOS5 and loves it. He's used the Digital SLR I gave him maybe twice (he's had it over 6 months now), he keeps going back to using his EOS5. :)

There is no concept of white balance as such. There are different types of films - Daylight, frurocent etc. Most of the time we use daylight films. With this film, in daylight, white is always white. Since flash is of the same temperature as daylight; daylight film is also perfect for flash.

For other kinds of light - say fluroscent - either one has to use fluroscent balanced film or a daylight film with appropriate filter to get white as white. But to begin with, daylight balanced film is good enough.

Usually SLR needs a circular polariser filter; ( with some exceptions; but to be safe use circular polariser....).

best of luck

Phew thought I might have to invest in more filters straight away! Thanks(y)

I am confused how do you mean fell for that one? Is that good or bad? It made sense to me. Looked at EOS 3 but they were generally double the EOS 5, as a starter thought I would see how I get on!

Great minds think alike! ..... (don't want to go to the rest of it because I am going the same) :LOL:

Since my move to photography I seem to be diving in at all angles. I purchased a DSLR which I am still getting a handle of. I was also given an old Konica Autoreflex TC and have access to a Canon EOS 500N.

On top of all that I have also been offered a full range of darkroom equipment, so it looks like I am going to be a bit of a 'cross-over' with my photography learning experience :)

Would be :cool: to hear about your learning. Maybe we can be 'study buddies'?

Yep dawn, no worries! Over the last year or so I have cleared Accrington charity shops out of all their photography books and now have a library of about 40 books! Time to read the film sections I think!

And here - another EOS-3, but lack of funds has just left me wanting the 5Dii, rather than buying one (but one day, one day........) :LOL:

We can but dream eh....

Hi Rob, I'm glad you got sorted in the end.

That EOS 5 sounds like a bargin, I hope you have a great time using film its so different to digital.

Cheers mate, I hope I do, I really am nervous and cant wait to get my hands on the camera!

Well done, my dad shoots an EOS5 and loves it. He's used the Digital SLR I gave him maybe twice (he's had it over 6 months now), he keeps going back to using his EOS5. :)

This is good and makes me smile! What DSLR did he have? If its not wanted.... NahI will try film out and I love the fact its a bit retro - makes me feel a little bit cool!:D

I gave him one of my old D100 bodies. Not the best in the world, but good enough for the kind of stuff he does.

I gave him one of my old D100 bodies. Not the best in the world, but good enough for the kind of stuff he does.

thats cos its canon ;)

where'd ya get the eos 5? I really like slide and it'd be nice to be able to play with using L glass on film :D Dunno if I could cope with the tiny negs though :LOL:

thats cos its canon ;)

where'd ya get the eos 5? I really like slide and it'd be nice to be able to play with using L glass on film :D Dunno if I could cope with the tiny negs though :LOL:

Easier to load onto the spools though!!:LOL:

Dave.

thats cos its canon ;)
Only to spite me. The whole time I was a kid he had an Olympus OM-1, lusting after an F4, then an F4s for about 20 years. Then when his OM-1 died, I'd already bought Nikon. So, he only went Canon to spite me.

I am confused how do you mean fell for that one? Is that good or bad? It made sense to me. Looked at EOS 3 but they were generally double the EOS 5 said:
Not the bodies - but seeing film as a way to go Full frame on a budget - it will just lead you down a path that ends in a FF digital body :) you just cant resist it will happen :) .........but all your lens will be EF mount.

thats cos its canon ;)

I had been toying with the idea of film for a while and actually started with an ad in thew wanted section. Randomly at works someone put the 5 on our internal free ads type thing so I spoke with them and thats how I got it!

Ahh Dogfish that makes sense! I wanted a 5d or 5dmk2 but there is no real chance in the near future so thisseemed like a good option! Wish I had some L Glass too but will stick with my prime lenses as I think they will be best on it!

I had been toying with the idea of film for a while and actually started with an ad in thew wanted section. Randomly at works someone put the 5 on our internal free ads type thing so I spoke with them and thats how I got it!

Ahh Dogfish that makes sense! I wanted a 5d or 5dmk2 but there is no real chance in the near future so thisseemed like a good option! Wish I had some L Glass too but will stick with my prime lenses as I think they will be best on it!

yep fast primes with a little stop down are proper sharp :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaouthia

thats cos its canon

pleez excooz my igorance ,,,but regarding the above , am i missing something ?

Just a little playful Nikon vs. Canon rivalry. Although the word "rival" doesn't really describe it adequately. There's no contents. Nikon wins. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaouthia

thats cos its canon

I was making a yoke ;)
canon v nikon is like mac v pc a dumb subject for argument

I was offered an Olympus OM-2 film camera with decent lens (75-150mm) and loads of filters cheap (£42) so i bought it just for the lens and filters so i can use it on my GF1 BUT i am now thinking of running a roll of film through it to see how i get on. Hopefully it will make me think of composition and a bit of patience and make me waist less digital images.

Should be fun :D

I was making a yoke ;)
canon v nikon is like mac v pc a dumb subject for argument

Hiya, long time no speak! :LOL:

You speak your mind and somehow put your foot in it (sounds familiar as that is what I tend to do too :LOL:)

Needless to say it is great to see you are still here.

After all it is good to have peeps who speak there mind (although I may get reprimanded too at some stage in the very near future ...... keep waiting for the strike through in my name hahahahah)

Take care

Dawn :p

Hiya, long time no speak! :LOL:

You speak your mind and somehow put your foot in it (sounds familiar as that is what I tend to do too :LOL:)

Needless to say it is great to see you are still here.

After all it is good to have peeps who speak there mind (although I may get reprimanded too at some stage in the very near future ...... keep waiting for the strike through in my name hahahahah)

Take care

Dawn :p

lo,

yeah, one day they'll get me with a custom user title :D

LOL

so you on the film bandwagon with the cool kids yet then?

Indeed! And my son is the prime model (he is absolutely gorgeous!!!)

Back