Beginner i have sea salt/sea mist on compact camera lens how do i get it off ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Have quite a few small sea salt particles on a compact compact lens how do i get them off please?

Is it worth even getting them off i am not sure the image quality is /has been effected ?

tried with cotton bud dabbing one of the bits of salt near the edge but it has either left a smear or a very small scratch :(

any help appreciated

Buy an lens cleaning kit,i have one in my bag at all times they come with all the cleaning stuff you will need to remove the sea salt particles :)

I'd use a lens cleaning tissue with some lens cleaner solution. Easy when you have some :)

A lens cleaning cloth, for spectacles, could be used.

It's unlikely that salt would scratch the lens so it is more likely to be a smudge. Sand could.
Make sure the rest of the camera is clear too, maybe check the battery compartment.

thank you both for your help.

is there any particular lens cleaning kits /fluid you recommend ?

i do have some lens cleaning fluid but does not say if it alcoholic or not alcoholic, a friend told me not to use it encase it was alcoholic it could damage the coating?

It won't damage the coating: that is what it is designed for.
I think most lens cleaning fluids are alcohol based, probably just a few percent.

The 2 bottle i got came with the kit one called hama digital the others vanguard,i would just put a spot of what you have got on a lens cleaning cloth,and gently wipe the area :)

Salt dissolves.Just use boiling water :)

Don't forget to use a rocket blower before cleaning the lens with a cloth / lenspen.

Rocket blower to remove any sand then just lick the front element of the lens. Follow that up with a gentle wipe or two with a damp lens tissue followed by another tissue moistened with a drop of lens cleaning fluid.

Rocket blower to remove any sand then just lick the front element of the lens. Follow that up with a gentle wipe or two with a damp lens tissue followed by another tissue moistened with a drop of lens cleaning fluid.

would spit on a fiber cloth be okay after rocket blower?

I would pay someone to do this it is too nerve racking lol . London camera exchange wanted £75 to send it away :confused:

I used my tongue! Actually, these days I simply run the whole thing under the tap for a while then leave it submerged for 10 minutes in warm water, followed by a final wipe with the fluidy tissue BUT that's with a compact that's waterproof down to 10m...

The reason I used my tongue is that any grittiness is picked up far faster than if a tissue or cloth is used thus reducing the chance of scratching the lens.

I generally breath on it and clean it on my teeshirt ... however that works better before it dries on.

Back