I have two job offers... now i'm confused!

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
Right, i have an offer for 3 months temp work with the possiblity of full time. £10/hr (£17k equiv), and near home (no relocation), but it's not exactly what i want to do. I'm meant to start this job tomorrow morning.

Today i had an interview and got offered a job that's more money, full time, and more what i want to do, BUT it's totally in the middle of nowhere! (10mins east of the great place that is yeovil(!)).

Which would you take, and why! :)

I would look for job security over location to be honest.

I'd rather travel to a job that I like than walk to a job I hate...

If you get better reward and the benefit of something you enjoy more take the second, however will you have to relocate or is it more journey time?

IMHO sounds like the second is the choice, trust me you certainly dont want to be doing something you dont enjoy for less.

(probably making it sound more simple than it is) Congrats BTW (y)

You Have to take the second job in my opinion.
If you dont youll always be miserable in the job you take thinking that you would have been much happier in the other job.
Plus if it doesnt work out, you can always get a job doing something youre not so happy about, anywhere.

Congrats & good luck!

Blimey that really is the wilds ! what do you do, stone circle cleaning ? ;)

I think i flew to Sherborn once, although may be a different one, was Sherborn in Elmet or something !

Oh and ALWAYS take a job you would like to do rather than the convenience of one you hate ! Its better to regret something you have done, than regret something you havent !

What does your gut feeling tell you? That's as good a way as any!

The middle of nowhere one is the better one really, i'm just a bit concerned about the location :( I guess i should get researching possible places to live!

Oh and i am meant to start the first job at 9:30 tomorrow morning :p

2nd one matt you already know thats the one you want you just need pushing:bat:

You lucky so and so..............thats a fantastic part of the country. Can we all come and stay for a photographic extravaganza, next year for Glastonbury time?????:LOL:

TAKE IT!!:clap: (y)

Yeah, but you'll probably be the only 'outsiders' i see in the whole year! :LOL:

got to be option 2 Matt, relocate to some lonely, attractive, 40 something lady's spare room....

Second job. Lovely place to live. Dorset on the doorstep, Bath, Wilts, Bristol.

Go for it.

Diego.

Oh and i am meant to start the first job at 9:30 tomorrow morning :p

No reason you can't start and take the money for a couple or a few weeks until the second job starts.

I say go for job 1

millions of people in this country hate their job......what makes you special?

:D

Only kidding m8, go with the job you want to do, life's too short for what ifs.

I think i flew to Sherborn once, although may be a different one, was Sherborn in Elmet or something !

SherUrn in Elmet - Yorkshire. There's a small airfield their and flying club.

Rich :)

oh, p.s. Matt - take the 2nd job IMO

No reason you can't start and take the money for a couple or a few weeks until the second job starts.

Job 2 want me to start as soon as possible :)

My only major problem i'm having is where would i live!

Sherborne is the obvious choice as it's a few mins down the road and is a small town rather than a couple of houses and a pub :p

Dorchester is 22miles away and another option (about 40mins), but it seems hard to find places to rent!

22 miles is chuff all really. unless you have to walk it i suppose

22 miles is chuff all really. unless you have to walk it i suppose

22miles is a long way when the roads are rubbish though!

Living somewhere that's not a complete dead zone of people would be good though, so Dorchester is appealing really.

well dont start the other job tomorrow, and take a drive down there instead, spend the day visiting the local letting/estate agents and look in post office windows etc ! ;)

That's what I would do (y)

At the end of the day though, a commute of 22 miles won't be that difficult if it's for a short period until you find suitable accomodaton

22miles is a long way when the roads are rubbish though!

Living somewhere that's not a complete dead zone of people would be good though, so Dorchester is appealing really.

no such thing as a rubbish road, it's just that some are less fun than others :naughty:

Definately go for the one you'll enjoy. I've been there and done jobs that I hate, and what for?

You spend almost a third of your life working, why spend a third of your life doing something you don't enjoy?

Like i say, the only problem is finding somewhere to live. I'll phone the company up tomorrow and ask for a few ideas, then phone some estate agents, and i'll try to go down again this week with the parents! :)

Dorchester is 22miles away and another option (about 40mins)
22miles is a long way when the roads are rubbish though!.
pfffft, 22 miles is nothing.
For the last 3 years I've been commuting to Warwick on 'rubbish' roads, 30 miles takes about an hour each way.

So quit moaning :p

I'm probably going to be starting on the 1st November, so that's only a week! We're visiting on Thursday so will look around for locations :)

I've done a few calculations on how much i'll actually get each month as 'spending money', it's just depressing isn't it?! :crying: You basically work for hours and hours, for what is effectivly a few hundred £ actual spending money! I don't like this 'real life' thing much :LOL:

You basically work for hours and hours, for what is effectivly a few hundred £ actual spending money! I don't like this 'real life' thing much :LOL:

LOL! Wait till you have to pay for child care! It is depressing even for us older folks sometimes I wish I could move back in with Mommy and Daddy and I haven't lived at home for quite some time now.

Well, now i'm getting stressed. Just went to look at the area around this job in Dorset to see locations where i could live. There is only one real option and that's Sherborne. Yeovil has to be one of the worst places i've visited in a long time, and Dorchester is to far. There are no other towns.

Here's the problem. There are a total of TWO shared house rooms available in the two local papers, and the better looking one is occupied by older people (in their 40's/50's!) which for someone of my age (22) is really not ideal, and the other don't nswer their phone. So that's it on shared rooms, for house rental there are about 2 under £600/month, and that would REALLY be pushing the budget so isn't really an option.

I'm sure that when i phone them they'll say it'll be easy to find somewhere to stay when i come down, but i just don't believe it, as i've seen the two papers they suggested i look in, and that's all there is.

I'm so not sure about this job now :(

Have you tried looking on the rental section of rightmove. I found my house to live in while I was still in Germany.

Have you tried looking on the rental section of rightmove. I found my house to live in while I was still in Germany.

There are 1 or 2 places, BUT they're all unfurnished, and i have no furniture, and as it's pushing the budget to get a whole house, it's not ideal! :(

Have you tried asking the company about other people that work there? maybe you could share a house with them

There are 1 or 2 places, BUT they're all unfurnished, and i have no furniture, and as it's pushing the budget to get a whole house, it's not ideal! :(

Hit up auctions. I'm not kidding other than our bed and the desk I'm writing on our entire house was done by auction. Our livingroom suite was 20gbp or dining room table was 5gbp and so on. I mean nothing will match but it would get you through. As for the bed talk mom and pops into giving you the one you've been sleeping on until you can afford another one. Trust me it can be done for under say 200gbp. We've been married for almost 3 years now and still don't have decent furniture so don't sweat it!

Agree with Mr Ford on the auctions. We started that when we got married in '88 and bought and sold, eventually getting up to antiques. I still have:

A dining set (repro)
Brass Clock & Candle Set
Several tables/sidboards/beureaus
A baby grand piano!

All paid for by previous purchases.

Good luck mate with new job - make it your own! (y)

Lol @ you for having to work in MILBORNE PORT!!!! he he heeeee!

Nice place, but not a lot goin alas. However it is in a prime photo location as so much is accesible, south dorset coast, moors, levels, loads of tree hugging hippy stuff, fleet air arm museum etc.

Word to the wise though, us locals (I lived in Wincanton for 20 odd years) know yeovil ether as yeovHELL or yeovilE. You'll see what I mean when you go there. A more wretched Hive of scum and villainy etc etc etc..........

Not gonna be working for Thales by any chance are you?

Small media company. We went looking at possible places to live yesturday, and Sherborne really is the only place, and there is virtually nothing there for a single person to rent. There are no house shares and people just don't do that in places like Sherborne, and houses are expensive to rent.

We went to Yeovil and quickly left. I've never been to anywhere that horrible in a long time (if ever!).

I am getting VERY tempted to just go for this temp job that means living at home, and looking for something more suitable.

Right, a decision has been reached :)

I've decided to stop being so stupid and to look on it as a bit of an adventure. Expect pictures of castles and cliffs!! and we better have a Dorset photo meet as that would be quite cool (though it would probably just be me, so not much of a meet).

Renting a house would be ok if it wasn't for the £100/month or so council tax!!

Back