I (heart) C&C...

Name
Pip
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm trying to rustle up something for valentines and inspired by Ajophotog (& a few others) I've come up with the concept - but it's a lot harder than Alby makes it look... I don't have the glass to come up with anything super sharp so I'm heading towards the abstract end of the market. Here's an example of what I'm coming up with so far using 55-250 + bank of 6 minolta close up lenses + borrowed 550EX flash.

IMG_2353copy.jpg

I'd love any C&C on this, especially on PP.
Many thanks,
Pip

i think you need to get more in focus, perhaps imagestacking?(not used it or have any idea how it works)

nice lighting, perhaps move a slight bit further away to get more of the edge in the shot.

what is it??

My main issue with this shot is that I don't really get the connection with valentines day. I don't see the heart that you're talking about aiming for, Pip.

With regards to the image itself, it's a relatively pleasing abstract but it lacks a definitive focal point. There's a lot to look at in the frame and what's there is quite nice, but it needs somewhere for the eye to settle. Although it's difficult to talk about it without knowing a little more about the context of the image and why you specifically chose this subject matter.

I'm assuming this is some sort of hand-blown glass bowl or dish?

i think you need to get more in focus, perhaps imagestacking?(not used it or have any idea how it works)

nice lighting, perhaps move a slight bit further away to get more of the edge in the shot.

what is it??
Cheers Fletch, appreciate that. Due to number and quality of bits of glass used I'm not sure just how much sharper I can get one of these. It's an ok lens with six Minolta close up lenses (think magnifying glass) screwed onto the front. Maybe I can try a different crop, this one is quite heavy.
I think image stacking is putting lots of shots of the same image together basically to get the best bits of each shot (better image to noise ratio) so wouldn't work here.

As to what it is - it's a glass of water with a tea towel behind it and the after effects of a water drop (the ones with the drop in didn't catch the hearts so well, at least not in last nights attempts!).

Pip.

My main issue with this shot is that I don't really get the connection with valentines day. I don't see the heart that you're talking about aiming for, Pip.

With regards to the image itself, it's a relatively pleasing abstract but it lacks a definitive focal point. There's a lot to look at in the frame and what's there is quite nice, but it needs somewhere for the eye to settle. Although it's difficult to talk about it without knowing a little more about the context of the image and why you specifically chose this subject matter.

I'm assuming this is some sort of hand-blown glass bowl or dish?
Thanks for your C&C glitch. Our posts crossed each other - as you can see from reply to fletch it's a water drop, so you were close!

And now you say it, the hearts aren't all that clear are they? The red shapes you can see in the water are hearts... Back to the drawing board for me then!

Pip.

As to what it is - it's a glass of water with a tea towel behind it and the after effects of a water drop (the ones with the drop in didn't catch the hearts so well, at least not in last nights attempts!).

Pip.
Ah, now that makes a lot more sense. Knowing what I'm looking for I can just about make out the distorted heart shapes in the water. Now I know what I'm looking at I can appreciate the difficulty of capturing this and I like where you're going with it.

So is the plan to get a nice water drop with the heart shapes reflected through the ripples?

Thanks for your C&C glitch. Our posts crossed each other - as you can see from reply to fletch it's a water drop, so you were close!

And now you say it, the hearts aren't all that clear are they? The red shapes you can see in the water are hearts... Back to the drawing board for me then!

Pip.
Hah, we've done it again.

As above, I can now see what you're aiming for and it's all starting to make more sense. I take my hat off to you for even trying something as tricky as this.

Hah, we've done it again.

As above, I can now see what you're aiming for and it's all starting to make more sense. I take my hat off to you for even trying something as tricky as this.
Thanks matey! Yes, I'll keep trying. I really need to get my hands on a decent macro for a day or two (hello Stewart!) and rig up a stand of some description for the dropper... and then just keep going until I crack it. I make it sound depressing, but it's really quite addictive.

ahh, image stacking wouldnt work then, i thought it was a bowl or something, i thought image stacking is putting a few images together with the focus point slightly changed in each so when you put them together the DOF is increased. no good for water drops though. looking forwrd to seeing attempt 2 though(y)

dont forget to put the hearts upside down in the background ;)
Yeah, I'll remember next time hopefully!

ahh, image stacking wouldnt work then, i thought it was a bowl or something, i thought image stacking is putting a few images together with the focus point slightly changed in each so when you put them together the DOF is increased. no good for water drops though. looking forwrd to seeing attempt 2 though(y)
I'm gonna have to think of a better way of doing these. Think I may have to raid the 135f2 fund and buy myself something macro... but I'll keep trying when I get spare time coz these are addictive!

Back