I hope I'm improving....?!

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
Got a chance to take a few more shots in my new little studio again. Welcome your thoughts! :thinking:

Three different styles:-

Subject is studying for a PhD and so the book pose is highly relevant in this instance

Rhys_and_Book_2.jpg

I really tend to like these kind of shots with the accentuated shadow

Rhys_3.jpg

Used my new grey background in all of these but not sure its quite the right complement for this subject?? Also I can never tell if I have over done the gradient. How would it better sit around this subject?

Rhys_2.jpg

Thanks in advance for any input.

Like the first and second. First especially and the second because it is good even though it has an unusual crop. Don't like the third so much, I feel it is too straight on, and it is washed out. Hope that helps some, I'm just a beginner!

Out of all of them, number 1 (for me) is the best.
Composition is excellent with good lighting and detail and great subject interaction.
If I was going to be nit picky, I would say that the left shoulder is a bit hot and maybe have just a touch more light spilling on to the right side of his face, but again that is me being picky.
Not real keen on the other two as I think number 1 is the strongest image and communicates best what you were going for, All IMHO of course :)

Cheers
Joel

Last edited:
Rustico said:
Like the first and second. First especially and the second because it is good even though it has an unusual crop. Don't like the third so much, I feel it is too straight on, and it is washed out. Hope that helps some, I'm just a beginner!

Really appreciate the feedback. I agree about 3, I was trying to get a kind of high key shot but I think I didn't quite get there, it's ended up perhaps a bit of a halfway house?? Really should have been a white background I guess. Thanks again for your input Rustico. Love to see your beautiful scenic shots appear on here.

I like the first two, number 1 especially. Agree that the third is a bit over exposed. This style (1 and 2) was popular for portraits in the 30's and 40's in the U.S. at least. I have a similar shot of my grandmother. Have you considered a contrasty B&W conversion?

BTW, #3 if shot in RAW, can easily be salvaged with some PP I should think.

ironicall said:
Out of all of them number 1 (for me) is the best.
Composition is excellent with good lighting and detail and great subject interaction.
If I was going to be nit picky, I would say that the left shoulder is a bit hot and maybe have just a touch more light spilling on to the right side of his face, but agin that is me being picky.
Not real keen on the other two as I think number 1 is the strongest image and communicates best what you were going for, All IMHO of course :)

Cheers
Joel

Joel, thanks. Yes, I can see now it would be improved to have more light on the right side of the face. Prob will try this with PP, but I guess would be better out of the camera. Need to watch that for the future in my lighting set up. I really like the book pose and glad it's getting good feedback. Confess I saw it online with a respected portrait photographer (forget who) but at least mine is a different interpretation. Thanks for the feedback Joel.

hunter20ga said:
I like the first two, number 1 especially. Agree that the third is a bit over exposed. This style (1 and 2) was popular for portraits in the 30's and 40's in the U.S. at least. I have a similar shot of my grandmother. Have you considered a contrasty B&W conversion?

BTW, #3 if shot in RAW, can easily be salvaged with some PP I should think.

Hey, great idea on the b+w. Not sure why I didn't think of this in this instance. Will do so tomorrow (currently in bed with the iPad...!!) (that's not a euphemism btw!)

Interesting about the 30s 40s. Will look this up online to see their style and interpretation.

I did shoot in raw and deliberately set out to try and achieve what I thought would be a high key shot, but i think i failed.

Thanks for this feedback, great thoughts and ideas. Cheers.

Hi great composition on the first 2 but I think they would look more dramatic with a Rembrandt lighting it works really well in male subjects

abdabs said:
Hi great composition on the first 2 but I think they would look more dramatic with a Rembrandt lighting it works really well in male subjects

Thanks Abdabs. Need to raise the light higher and further forward for that. Will give that a go next time. Thanks.

I think there are elements of all three that if combined would have made a great shot. As it is they are still good shots, just a fewl ittle things could've improved them even more though.

1 and 3 for me have hotspots that are distracting (his left shoulder in 1, his forehead in 3).

I like the pose in 1, but I think if you'd brought the key light a little higher and more round to camera you'd have got a nice bit of light falling on his other cheek and ended up with much nicer catchlights too (catchlights are good in 3). Also I think perhaps a subtle hairlight in 1 would've added some separation from the background. I like his hair in 3 and a bit of drama like that in 1 would've really helped it pop.

I think there are elements of all three that if combined would have made a great shot. As it is they are still good shots, just a fewl ittle things could've improved them even more though.

1 and 3 for me have hotspots that are distracting (his left shoulder in 1, his forehead in 3).

I like the pose in 1, but I think if you'd brought the key light a little higher and more round to camera you'd have got a nice bit of light falling on his other cheek and ended up with much nicer catchlights too (catchlights are good in 3). Also I think perhaps a subtle hairlight in 1 would've added some separation from the background. I like his hair in 3 and a bit of drama like that in 1 would've really helped it pop.

Harry, thanks for the comments. Agree about the hot spots. Bit fanatical about catchlights so annoying that I missed that. Deliberately did not use the hair light to allow every part of the left hand side to fade to black - is that valid? You've some great shots on your site by the way. Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated.

Here's the B+W version. I think I prefer to the colour, Thoughts?

Rhys_2_-1.jpg

Harry, thanks for the comments. Agree about the hot spots. Bit fanatical about catchlights so annoying that I missed that. Deliberately did not use the hair light to allow every part of the left hand side to fade to black - is that valid? You've some great shots on your site by the way. Thanks for the feedback, really appreciated.

No worries, glad you liked my stuff!

It's totally valid to not light the hair for that low key effect, I'm only going by my personal tastes - that was more a subjective than technical thing, for sure - no right and wrong, only personal preference :)

That black and white is looking better, the forehead's still a bit too 'smooth'/flat though for me due to the hot spot - unless his head really is like that!! ;) Out of interest, did you shoot in RAW? I'm pretty sure that could be fixed in post if you did with a bit of subtle selective recovery or burning of the mids... it might bring a little bit more detail back in there.

Last edited:
harryduns said:
No worries, glad you liked my stuff!

It's totally valid to not light the hair for that low key effect, I'm only going by my personal tastes - that was more a subjective than technical thing, for sure - no right and wrong, only personal preference :)

That black and white is looking better, the forehead's still a bit too 'smooth'/flat though for me due to the hot spot - unless his head really is like that!! ;) Out of interest, did you shoot in RAW? I'm pretty sure that could be fixed in post if you did with a bit of subtle selective recovery or burning of the mids... it might bring a little bit more detail back in there.

Thanks. Yes, do. Shoot in Raw and so will look to bring some detail back. Appreciate the comments.

No1 again, It stands out for me-I would maybe have shot one with the subject looking at the book too

seems relevant if the chap is studying

Nice image :clap:

not too keen on the other 2 although the mono version works well, be it a little blown in places

Les (y)

No 1 is beautiful.

No 3, both colour and B/W, don't work at all. They both make him look desperately ill because he's so pale - his forehead's almost white.

Nice studio pics :)

like the shadows and the second eye in the dark side of the face
Perhaps a little crop off the left tho?

nice shadow/light play. Just missing that second eye

Nice detail around the eyes but forehead is very close to being blown

#4 bnw
now its blown...

I'd prefer you did #2 in black n white, also see whether you can bring/brighten the eye in the shadow bit? or fake a catchlight?

Just my opinion mind :)

No1 again, It stands out for me-I would maybe have shot one with the subject looking at the book too

seems relevant if the chap is studying

Nice image :clap:

not too keen on the other 2 although the mono version works well, be it a little blown in places

Les (y)

Thanks Les, Looking at the book is a great idea - next time!

No 1 is beautiful.

No 3, both colour and B/W, don't work at all. They both make him look desperately ill because he's so pale - his forehead's almost white.

Here is the non-blown version rescued from the Raw file as suggested previously.

Rhys_Non-blown.jpg

Nice studio pics :)

like the shadows and the second eye in the dark side of the face
Perhaps a little crop off the left tho?

nice shadow/light play. Just missing that second eye

Nice detail around the eyes but forehead is very close to being blown

#4 bnw
now its blown...

I'd prefer you did #2 in black n white, also see whether you can bring/brighten the eye in the shadow bit? or fake a catchlight?

Just my opinion mind :)

Thanks for this - here's #2 in B+W with a little high-pass filter to bring out the detail and yes - you're dead right. makes a great version. Thanks for the feedback.

Rhys_3_BW.jpg

Back