I just bought a D70......was it a good move?

Edit My Images
Yes
on a whim, fancied try out a Nikon DSLR.
Bought it with a 50mm 1.8D & a few other bits
.........have I wasted my Money? (it was pretty cheap)

Any tips/tricks or recommendations for lens would be handy, since I've never owned a Nikon before.

Would that be from STW by any chance?

Not a bad buy at all if it is that one and certainly haven't wasted your money

Can't help with Nikon tips though, only owned one and that was a 3,wmp compact few years ago

Get a flash and enjoy the uber fast sync speeds the D70's electronic shutter can produce!

I believe it's a D70 sensor that's in my R-D1 and I'm pretty happy with the images it makes. Noise at high ISO isn't low but it's nicer than some similar aged, and newer, sensors make.

Sorry nothing to contribute, but what or where is STW?

lol, would never have guessed that!

Ta.

It's a great camera to mess about with IR photography as well as the previously mentioned flash sync speeds.

The D70 is a great camera, it will focus AF-D lenses (not just Af-s ones) and if you get a compatible Nikon flash(s) it has the creative lighting sytem to remotely trigger it from the internal flash.

Look forward to seeing some results.

I also have two D70 body's, one is converted to IR and the other one is used for caving. And they will produce good strong 12in x 18in prints.

I used a D70 for several years and still do so now occasionally. The small screen feels ridiculously antiquated now, but it's a very good camera, that I've taken some of my best images with. I've also sold quite a lot of images that I took with it, and had them in books and magazines, so it's a capable bit of kit. It's also pretty rugged (droped mine onto a rock from my rucksack that only left a small scuff on it) and the bateries last forever compared to my D700.

I always felt my work D70 would survive a fair amount of abuse but the replacememt D5000 was as nearly as solid.

Back