I Love Scotland

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I just have to say it.. after only our second real visit.. this time to the highland games at Inverary.. 4 days staying in Arrachar.. love the country.. what a fantastic place to visit.. nothibg wrong with glasgow or edinburgh . but once you get past these.. the country is amazing... can't wait to go back..

just needed saying :)

and it's been there all this time!

Whens midge season?

And that post is worthless without photos :D

never seen any midges on either visit and spent a lot of time near the lochs

just got home.. pics later :)

It's somewhere I'd dearly love to visit.

I keep telling people, Scotland is addictive, especially the north and west. Midges can be horrendous (clegs and ticks can be "fun" too but to a much lesser extent) but they a price well worth paying.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

The NC500 covers some great areas but there is a lot more to see and then there are all the islands too.

Dave

Last edited:
never seen any midges on either visit and spent a lot of time near the lochs

just got home.. pics later :)

Can't wait. Plus we need hints on where to go.

And it was a serious question - when's midge season anyone? Whens best to avoid?

Can't wait. Plus we need hints on where to go.

And it was a serious question - when's midge season anyone? Whens best to avoid?
Now :)_

To elaborate - up to mid June (ish) and from the end of August (ish) are generally midge free.
So, avoid summer.

Nice view from Ben Arthur Bothy where we had tea in Arrochar :)

view.jpg

To elaborate - up to mid June (ish) and from the end of August (ish) are generally midge free.
So, avoid summer.
Cheers.
It's on the wish list as I've done very little north of the border, but the wife has heard about all the midges so is put off.

Mid/late May is about the begining of the midge season, but it depends a lot on the weather. I was on the north west coast in late June and early this month and midges were around but I have known them a lot worse at the same time in other years.

Again depending on the weather the end of the season is often sometime in September.

Smidge that Midge, IMO, deters midges well, without the problems of DEET based products.

Dave

Scotland is a truly fantastic place.
Every year the the wife and I take the kids up north to Aviemore. Its hard to describe the sensation once you start heading north of Pitlochry on the A9. You feel so distant from the likes of Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Aviemore hits the spot for us as a family. Steam trains, Cairngorm mountains, Loch Morlich beach, cycle/walking tracks a plenty and all set in stunning scenery.

In all the years I have been living in Scotland I have only been bothered by midges once or twice

1984-1999 and 2000-2017? :p

Well done Keith, but you have no idea just how fortunate you are.:)

Dave

Had a great few days in Edinburgh earlier this year and we vowed we'd go back and head more Northerly. It's a beautiful country for sure.

Nice view from Ben Arthur Bothy where we had tea in Arrochar :)

view.jpg
Should've gone for f11 and focused a third of the way into the image for that one. :whistle:;)

I moved from Wales to Scotland in 2005. I love Wales, I was born and bred there but Scotland is a wonderful and beautiful place to live too and I absolutely love it here. Highly recommended!

If you don't like crowds and stoooopid people, then Edinburgh is best avoided at the moment as the fringe is on ...

If you don't like crowds and stoooopid people, then Edinburgh is best avoided at the moment as the fringe is on ...

It depends what you are in to :)

I love this time of year in Edinburgh - so multicultural, vibrant, fun...

Ideal for street, protraits and so on.

I'd love to go to the Isle of Lewis and Harris so can see where my gran was born but not sure the best way to get there/what time of year to go (like others the thought of Midges has put me off). Only ever been to Edinburgh at Christmas with a couple of day trips to Loch Lomond and Ness but it's made me want to move to Scotland :)

I'd love to go to the Isle of Lewis and Harris so can see where my gran was born but not sure the best way to get there/what time of year to go (like others the thought of Midges has put me off). Only ever been to Edinburgh at Christmas with a couple of day trips to Loch Lomond and Ness but it's made me want to move to Scotland :)

You can fly to Stornoway from Glasgow, Edinburgh and a few other airports; or get the ferry from Ullapool on the West coast. Midges are only a problem from about late spring through the summer.

Thanks MartynK, I'll have a look at flights Etc and see if I can plan a trip there :)

All it takes is a 5mph breeze for the midgies to disappear ;)

I live in Scotland's East Coast which has loads to offer in the way of Castles, Whisky Trails and amazing scenery.
Most tourists flock to the West Coast which is fine by me as I have my domain all to myself :D:D:D

Mike

Scotland is a truly fantastic place.
Every year the the wife and I take the kids up north to Aviemore. Its hard to describe the sensation once you start heading north of Pitlochry on the A9. You feel so distant from the likes of Edinburgh and Glasgow.

Aviemore hits the spot for us as a family. Steam trains, Cairngorm mountains, Loch Morlich beach, cycle/walking tracks a plenty and all set in stunning scenery.
Have you taken the kids to Landmark in Carrbridge yet ? Mine loved it. And the highland folk museum at Newtonmore.
We always stayed in a friends chalet on the campgrounds of Scotland site at Inverdruie, on the mountain road .

Last edited:
Have you taken the kids to Landmark in Carrbridge yet ? Mine loved it. And the highland folk museum at Newtonmore.
We always stayed in a friends chalet on the campgrounds of Scotland site at Inverdruie, on the mountain road .
Yeah we do them all the time. The kids love it and so do we.

Back