I made a spectacle of myself?

excalibur2

My F4's Broken...
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Put a M42 adapter on my Konica and used a Meyer 135mm and like a newbie most shots were out of focus, well assuming the adapter is OK and no problem with the mirror...how do you guys get on using spectacles? For me I have to use one pair for the computer, one for reading, one for driving and one for very close up use.
I did once choose glasses that seem to work with a camera for accurate focusing to put in my backpack, but they have got mixed up with my other 15 pairs ;)
So the question is:- Using ANY pair of glasses (from reading to driving)....is what you see sharp in the viewfinder is what you get on the film ?...anyway I'm just going out into the garden with a tape measure and see if the distance scale on the lens matches what I see sharp in the viewfinder. :shrug:

Brian, That is a very good point. Like yourself, i have to keep changing glasses.

I don't know if it would be possible for an optician, to make a pair of glasses for this purpose.

When i am using my cameras, i just wear my normal bi-focal glasses. (y)

Brian, That is a very good point. Like yourself, i have to keep changing glasses.

I don't know if it would be possible for an optician, to make a pair of glasses for this purpose.

When i am using my cameras, i just wear my normal bi-focal glasses. (y)

Well I keep meaning to do what I read somewhere, and was to cut the center part of an old pair of glasses to fit the viewfinder and use very weak glue to hold it in (y)
My test in the garden was odd (with the Konica with adapter and the meyer lens) as I knew my reading glasses weren't probably going to be any good (and the image was too blurry), but the computer and driving glasses were ok but were a foot out over 16ft distance (reading 17ft on the lens)...but I put the lens on a screw camera and it was spot on.......but at 5ft distance using the Konica with adapter, also the screw camera, none of them agreed with the lens distance on the camera (being a 1 ft out). :shrug:
So the distances on the lens is not much use at least on close ups (if you want to use it) h'mm well I play safe in the future and only use this lens on a M42 camera.
Thanks David for showing interest.

Last edited:
Hi Brian, fancy seeing you here!

With my Nikons I just use the diopter adjustment, for Nex I have to use my varifocals :crying:

The only other way I've heard is to use contacts and then use glasses for distance viewing.

I hate getting old.

Ken

Brian, You may find this useful.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...81&geo_id=32251&keyword=konica+diopter&crdt=0

Hope this may be of some help to you (y)

Thanks but :eek: with postage that's more than I paid for each of my Konica cameras with lens.....I bought loads of glasses from boots sales for my back pack (to save using\ruining my own prescription glasses) and when I get around to it, will cut them up for the viewfinders for all of my cameras.
I have a film in my Canon A1 and will put a M42 adapter on that to see if any problem with the Meyer lens......as I have taken some nice shots with it but have forgotten what camera I used.

Meyer 135mm zebra, superia 200

Hi Brian, fancy seeing you here!

With my Nikons I just use the diopter adjustment, for Nex I have to use my varifocals :crying:

The only other way I've heard is to use contacts and then use glasses for distance viewing.

I hate getting old.

Ken

:wave: H'mm getting old :crying: it's only over about 5 years that I need spectacles for different distances.....and missed out one, I have a pair for watching tv at about 7 ft away :crying:

:wave: H'mm getting old :crying: it's only over about 5 years that I need spectacles for different distances.....and missed out one, I have a pair for watching tv at about 7 ft away :crying:

Same here, about four years for me.

So the question is:- Using ANY pair of glasses (from reading to driving)....is what you see sharp in the viewfinder is what you get on the film :

Tbh Brian, I wonder the same as only fairly recently finding myself needing specs for close up work.

My left eye is substantially more OOF than my right, so much so I'm actually attempting to put my right eye to the viewfinder to focus with. No easy task when it has always been the "norm" to be "left eyed".

Using specs with a waist level finder or LF ground glass screen is fairly easy but up against an SLR viewfinder, I find is a real pain in the posterior.

Tbh Brian, I wonder the same as only fairly recently finding myself needing specs for close up work.

My left eye is substantially more OOF than my right, so much so I'm actually attempting to put my right eye to the viewfinder to focus with. No easy task when it has always been the "norm" to be "left eyed".

Using specs with a waist level finder or LF ground glass screen is fairly easy but up against an SLR viewfinder, I find is a real pain in the posterior.

Indeed Asha it's a PITA...and another reason to use 50p-£1 (many top brands available S/H) boot sale specs is:- it doesn't matter if you scratch the lens on your specs if you don't have a rubber eye cup.
I'm surprised no one thought it was a great idea cutting up old specs to stick in the viewfinder :shrug:

I'm surprised no one thought it was a great idea cutting up old specs to stick in the viewfinder :shrug:

Do it, Patent it and send me several "clip on" viewfinder attachments....I'll be the quality control tester for you!:D

Do it, Patent it and send me several "clip on" viewfinder attachments....I'll be the quality control tester for you!:D

:D I'll send you the glasses with rectangular holes in them, if you are long sighted they should be useful..... sorta bifocals :wave:

That is a very good point. Like yourself, i have to keep changing glasses.

Do you have a pair of 'looking for my glasses' glasses?

I'm quite lucky (I think). At 48 I can still do close up and distance with the one pair of standard lenses.

Steve.

Woo hoo as I don't need glasses anymore for distance and as I have viewfinder dioptres for my favourite old cameras it definitely makes using a camera more enjoyable.. I had a lens replacement in one eye (dominate one) 1st Sept and left eye to be done on the 15th..
The mono-focal lens works down to 4ft so for sharpest image for reading etc would still need glasses, but they do one that can read all distances but thought it might be too complicated and would cause problems?????

Nothing wrong with your memory Brian. Resurrecting this thread after ten years.(y)(y)(y)

As a (belated) suggestion to the problem recounted in the first post in this thread, one possible solution would be to have different frames for the different types of spectacles. If I want my distance one, I know that they are the only ones with a yellow/gold frame; my reading glasses are silver/grey with undecorated side pieces; and my computer glasses are roughly the same colour but with some sort of geometrical design on the inch nearest the ear part.

I use a different system for reading glasses when using contact lenses...

Going back to film cameras I really struggled to focus manually. Until, that is, I tried my left eye instead and it was a huge improvement.

Being short sighted, I found a waist level finder much easier to use than a pentaprism. I read somewhere (and don't know if it's actually true) that cameras back in the 60s with pentaprisms were set to place the image at about a metre away, whereas modern cameras place the image at infinity. That in itself makes a more modern camera harder for me. No problems with a 4x or 6x loupe on a ground glass though.

As I got older and gave up truck driving for a living, my eyesight got better! I no longer need glasses for distance seeing and only use glasses when reading, my optician was most surprised and my prescription has remained unchanged for the last eight years. Previous to becoming about 62 years old I had worn glasses for twenty years; nowt wrong with getting old sometimes.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with your memory Brian. Resurrecting this thread after ten years.(y)(y)(y)
Well Richard I've been moaning on and off for years about the annoyance of wearing specs, so could have chosen any year ;) . It's amazing the difference a new lens makes (esp when you are old) like a soap advert when whites are whiter and everything is clearer and sharper.

Well folks it's a bit off topic although it relates to using a camera, but for those interested in what they can do now with lazers....if your under 40 they can reshape the lens for long distance and over 40 recommend a new lens. As the eye is complicated there is no guarantee having a new lens would give you amazing vision and proof of this is my son had both eyes reshaped years ago and we have compared our eyes by moving a car number plate down the garden and ATM I can see it 33m away, but my son can see it much further....dunno whether age has anything to cause this. Anyway I'm happy.

Since I had my cataracts done and have splendid long distance vision I have struggled with some of my cameras. The only camera I have now with built in dioptre adjustment is my Canon 6D. For all the others I have to use various cheapo reading spectacles, sometimes one pair for the viewfinder and another for the controls. In fact, I sold my Leica IIIA because of this. It had dioptre adjustment so I could use the viewfinder and rangefinder without spectacles (the squitty viewfinder is all but useless with spectacles anyway by the way) but I could not read the shutter dial or the aperture scale without +2 dioptre lenses. Just going back and forth drove me to distraction so it had to go. At least with most of the viewfinder cameras, as opposed to SLR cameras, I can use my varifocals.

Since I had my cataracts done and have splendid long distance vision I have struggled with some of my cameras. The only camera I have now with built in dioptre adjustment is my Canon 6D. For all the others I have to use various cheapo reading spectacles, sometimes one pair for the viewfinder and another for the controls. In fact, I sold my Leica IIIA because of this. It had dioptre adjustment so I could use the viewfinder and rangefinder without spectacles (the squitty viewfinder is all but useless with spectacles anyway by the way) but I could not read the shutter dial or the aperture scale without +2 dioptre lenses. Just going back and forth drove me to distraction so it had to go. At least with most of the viewfinder cameras, as opposed to SLR cameras, I can use my varifocals.
Well in a previous thread have mentioned that some diopters for one camera can fit other cameras, and have just bought a +2 for a Ricoh XR for £5.45 inc post...a gamble it would fit the cameras not fitted yet e.g. Minolta and Olympus.
And would agree even seeing great at long distance would still need specs for reading film counter etc and erm reading a manual on my F4 as I keep forgetting how to rewind the film and the controls :(

About 8 years ago I was sent by Occupational Health to the sheep dog shearing shop for an eye test, as they would pay if I needed them for computer use, as my job meant using a PC all day every day.

He went though all the tests, and asked me to try a made up pair of glasses, fine, in focus across the room, but had astigmatism. When I told him he told me that was because my eyes had astigmatism, and the glasses were now correcting for it! I told him if my brain has being correcting for it up to now, it can continue to do so.

He told me the council would not pay, as I used the same glasses for reading as using the PC. I pointed out I did not, as the PC distance was 60cm and reading distance 30cm. He said well they won't pay, but they have a special, two pairs for £70, but I had to order them now before I left the shop.

I got up and said goodbye, when he asked where I was going, told him to Poundland to buy some spare glasses. Hie mouth was moving like a goldfish, but no sound!

I still use off the shelf glasses, 1,5 for driving, 2.5 for TV, 3.0 for computer, 3.5 for normal working, and 4 or 5 for things like camera repairs and electronics.

Using Panasonic M43 cameras has made my life easier, I adjust the cameras for no glasses, so no swapping and changing needed, just take off whatever I am using at the time, and as everything is displayed in the viewfinder, I don't need to see the controls :)

About 8 years ago I was sent by Occupational Health to the sheep dog shearing shop for an eye test, as they would pay if I needed them for computer use, as my job meant using a PC all day every day.

He went though all the tests, and asked me to try a made up pair of glasses, fine, in focus across the room, but had astigmatism. When I told him he told me that was because my eyes had astigmatism, and the glasses were now correcting for it! I told him if my brain has being correcting for it up to now, it can continue to do so.

He told me the council would not pay, as I used the same glasses for reading as using the PC. I pointed out I did not, as the PC distance was 60cm and reading distance 30cm. He said well they won't pay, but they have a special, two pairs for £70, but I had to order them now before I left the shop.

I got up and said goodbye, when he asked where I was going, told him to Poundland to buy some spare glasses. Hie mouth was moving like a goldfish, but no sound!

I still use off the shelf glasses, 1,5 for driving, 2.5 for TV, 3.0 for computer, 3.5 for normal working, and 4 or 5 for things like camera repairs and electronics.

Using Panasonic M43 cameras has made my life easier, I adjust the cameras for no glasses, so no swapping and changing needed, just take off whatever I am using at the time, and as everything is displayed in the viewfinder, I don't need to see the controls :)
For me I've gone full circle as the only glasses to easily read a computer screen (with different eyes) are the prescription ones made for close up over 50 years ago. o_O So folks don't throw away your old specs as you never know when you'll need them. For really close up work told the optician that I want the most powerful lenses /specs that you sell. (y)

OK Steve, I'll bite...

About 8 years ago I was sent by Occupational Health to the sheep dog shearing shop for an eye test...

Do sheep dogs often have eye problems while they're using their PCs???? ;)

Surely, given that it's normally sheep rather than sheep dogs which are sheared, a shop where the reverse is done implies some problems with vision?

When I got ot of the service I had 20/10 vision. Today not so hot. somewhere along the line they think I had a stroke and without glass's now I see double! Pretty sure it's no longer 20/10 either. have one pair for most things and one pair for the computer. As far as the camera goes, I press the shutter to focus an image and then adjust that with the little deal by the eye piece. Normally do it one time and forget it. Much as i paid for the camera I expect it to focus properly! Does most the time and when it doesn't I belly ache about it a bit and go on! Not brave enough to try manual focus!

Boy those picture's of the church and old farm building's in the country were great. Wish someone over there would do a bunch of them. Love old building's out in the country!

and have just bought a +2 for a Ricoh XR for £5.45 inc post...a gamble it would fit the cameras not fitted yet e.g. Minolta and Olympus.
Well it doesn't fit the Minolta or Olympus but a Canon (and other makes)...It wouldn't surprise if Min amd OLy made their viewfinders so different that you have to buy from them. :(

Back