I need a new camera - but what to choose?

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. Years ago I bought a FujiFilm 2600Z. Cost me £250. That's when digital cameras of 2 mega pixel cameras were a lot of money.

It's not a bad camera, but the LCD screen is next to useless, it's too dim, and tends to wash-out when you turn up the brightness.

Also, blue skies are washed out as well. And, I think it distorts the view, inasmuch as it will not maintain the vertical sides or edges of a say a building, one side will be vertical and the other not. But, my eye sees anything that is vertical as vertical. Verticals as not supposed to change from one end of a building to another, well, I don't think so.

So, can you today buy a camera with a LCD screen that works in sunlight, and does not distort the view, for say about £120 - or less? Anything recommended? Thanks.

EDIT: Well, sure verticals will distort, to a vanishing point.

Last edited:
Not too sure that you're describing actual distortion caused by the hardware or perspective distortion / converging verticals.

Anyway, you will probably be able to find a Micro Four Thirds camera and 14-42mm kit lens within budget. I have a first generation Panasonic G1 and kit lens and can confirm that at low to mid ISO's they're capable of very good image quality and any distortion is taken care of in camera resulting in few optical nasties in the final image.

Another plus is that the in view histogram helps you to avoid blowing the highlights.

Last edited:
Back