Beginner I need a new camera!

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been thinking about upgrading my my Lumix G3 for a while (which i posted about before) as there is something growing/spreading on the lcd screen! The EVF and screen are pretty low res and I want something crisper/sharper especially for macro photography which i've discovered recently and really enjoy. The ISO performance is also pretty ropey and I can't crop all that much without noise rearing it's ugly head (there's even some at base iso, because the noise reduction is horrible so I've turned it down).

I was thinking of keeping my 14 45 kit lens and upgrading the body, but have changed my mind and decided to for a competely new setup. It's the only lens I own so it won't be painful swapping systems. So...what do I get? I'm thinking of a macro/telephoto lens that I can use for insects and bugs etc and some kind of zoom for everyday use (or maybe a wide(ish) prime, similar to my phone. As for body, I don't know. Any suggestions would be great.

My budget is about £1500.

The furthest I've got is this lens - Sigma 105mm f2.8

Last edited:
The 14-45 kit lens you have is actually pretty good, even though it's not that expensive to buy. I still have mine that came with a GF1. The GF1 has been sold but I intend to hang on to the 14-45 even though I also have the Olympus 12-45 f/2.8 pro.

If you are happy to stay with m4/3, you could easily afford the following 2nd hand with your budget:
  • Olympus E-M1 MkI body: best value for money in m4/3 right now IMO
  • Olympus 60 f/2.8 macro lens
  • Olympus 17 f/1.8 wide(ish) prime
The E-M1 also has something called "focus stacking" which can be useful for macro: http://cameras.olympus.com/stack/en/

If you're serious about macro, you should also look into getting a tripod and a sliding rail. I would recommend something based on the Arca Swiss dovetail standard.

If you are happy to stay with m4/3, you could easily afford the following 2nd hand with your budget:
  • Olympus E-M1 MkI body: best value for money in m4/3 right now IMO
  • Olympus 60 f/2.8 macro lens
  • Olympus 17 f/1.8 wide(ish) prime
The E-M1 also has something called "focus stacking" which can be useful for macro: http://cameras.olympus.com/stack/en/

If you're serious about macro, you should also look into getting a tripod and a sliding rail. I would recommend something based on the Arca Swiss dovetail standard.

Thank for the reply. At the moment I'm completely open minded as to what to go for. m4/3 appeals to me because of the size. I have a bad knee so it would suit me not having to carry the extra weight of a full dslr kit around. I've even looked at stuff like the fz1000, but I'm not convinved it wouldn't be a step backwards even though it's a lot more advanced than my current camera.

Just out of curiosity, what are my options for using older manual lenses with an adaptor for macro? I was looking at 55mm Nikkor for example

Just out of curiosity, what are my options for using older manual lenses with an adaptor for macro? I was looking at 55mm Nikkor for example

I use a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 on micro four thirds and I'm very happy with it. Some of the film era macro lenses don't give lifesize without an accompanying tube so if this is an issue for you make sure you know what you're getting or just look out for a Sigma like the one I have, they crop up on evil bay in Canon and other mounts.

Adapters for old lenses start at under £10 on evil bay.

I use a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 on micro four thirds and I'm very happy with it. Some of the film era macro lenses don't give lifesize without an accompanying tube so if this is an issue for you make sure you know what you're getting or just look out for a Sigma like the one I have, they crop up on evil bay in Canon and other mounts.

Adapters for old lenses start at under £10 on evil bay.
Even less from China. :)

Love the Oly 60mm macro lens by the way - would definitely recommend it

Back