I need a new gig lens

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
Ok so I'm happy with my Canon 50mm f/1.8. My Sigma 10-20mm + flash does an ok job sometimes and my Canon 28-105mm with the flash also does a good job. While I've found ways to use my flash to aid in low light areas I still feel like using the natural lighting is the better way to go. The issue I have is with my potential next choice. I'm thinking of the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. I hear, and have seen, that its a great lens. Its only really one stop off my current Canon 28-105mm, and isn't as zoomy as that. Is it worth paying the £270 for the extra stop and a sharper lens? I could get the Sigma 24-70 which is obviously wider but not as sharp, so I hear. Decisions decisions...

i have the tamron but i havent given it much of a road test at all yet, just the one guitar neck shot!

Question is can you tell the difference in noise levels if you just push the ISO to compensate ? (especially if you find the correct PP s/w to remove/reduce noise)

Hands on if you can m8, if the Sigma is not too much softer I'd go for it since the extra F stop could be crucial. It gets an 8.1 at FredMiranda though the 24-60 gets a 9, the difference being 10mm and no macro but about the same price.

The main complaint with the 24-70 seems to be it's noisy.

Nice lens & price ;) Do you actually need a zoom when in place at a Gig ?. Is it more a case of choosing the correct "fast" prime instead, in which case even the 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.4 would help ?

My wife is a Ronan Keating fan. Once a year I get dragged kicking and screaming to a gig.
This year it was Newmarket with racing before the gig included - so i had my camera with me. I watched the races... she queued up near the stage :(

Later I joined her. I expected the stewards to go mad at me when I took out my camera and took some shots of the performance... but they just ignored me. The lighting was terrible so I was on 1600 ISO. I only had the Tamron with me and it did a good job. I didn't own a flash then.

If I was doing that sort of thing regularly I'd want a bit more than F2.8.

Ronan1a.jpg

The fans put a bunch of my images (and some from other people) on photobox and they have raised a couple of hundred pounds for charity selling prints.

Had a compact Yashica removed from me at a Pink Floyd gig once & when I went back at end of Gig they had "lost it" (thieving gits) !!!! Had to claim off thier insurance.

Back