I need a new Monitor - help required

S

Steve

The time has come for me to replace my monitor, I have been working on a Hitachi 17”tft for a while but its showing signs of its age and suffering from both uneven colour casts and light leakage.

I know that for the absolute best I should use a CRT but I really don’t have the space, to that end I need to purchase a new TFT. Size wise no smaller than 17” and I don’t want to buy a 19” if its resolution is the same as a 17” like some are. I don’t mind widescreen but only if it is no worse than the best “normal” tft available. My main qualification is the best that I can get for image editing, I play virtually no games and if I did I would be willing to tolerate it being almost rubbish for that purpose.

So the question is..what is everyone else using, are you absolutely 100% happy, are the colours, saturation and light distribution good. If you were in my position would you buy what you have now and what should I be looking at adding to my shortlist or “must view screens”

I've got a spare one if you need it.
Same goes for everyone else, free - you collect.

I'll check the specs, but it's a 17" TFT monitor that I don't use due to my 'stolen' Dell monitor being slightly better (MoD was clearing out and moving to new premises - we 'helped' clear the desks...)

I have a Dell TFT and I think it's brilliant.

Steve, it's worth buying a digital output (DVI) graphics card if you don't already have it and obviously buying a TFT with a DVI input. About £50 extra on the TFT and about £40 for a perfectly good gfx card.

I have a Radion 9700Pro with both analogue and DVI outputs so thats not an issue

Excellent card, the DVI input makes things a lot simpler for TFT screens. No resizing and adjustings!

I am using an IIyama AS4821 19" TFT 1280 * 1024.
IIyama come with a 3 year warranty. Mine was nearly 2 years old and the power button cracked and fell off (used many times a day). Emailed IIyama - they replied within 10 minutes. No receipt needed, just the serial number. Arranged a time and they came with a brand new monitor and took mine away the next day!
Old one had 3 dead pixels that I only found with a test program - new one has none.

Old screen was as good as this new one image wise. No deterioration. Very even illumination.
Being partially red/green colour blind (I either see no numbers or both in those test cards) I can't tell you how true the colour is - but it seems fine to me :)

It has a 25ms response which is quite slow by current standards. It handles games well and I do not see ghosting/smearing whatever in fast FPS games.

I would reccommend IIyama for their support and quality. That said I think every manufacturers standards are higher these days and would not rule out any brand.

That's a good point Rob, I'm sure Dell monitors only have 1 year warranty.

SammyC said:
That's a good point Rob, I'm sure Dell monitors only have 1 year warranty.

I have just been looking online at some very nice widescreen Dell jobbies and they are being listed as 3 year guarantee with next day at home swap out for the UK. In Germany it may be different but as I don't read german I will have to wait until the Mrs comes home from work to have a look at the german sites.

Not decided on Dell btw..still looking and open to suggestions. :)

Which? did a comparison about 6 months ago and Dell, Philips, and another one came out best.

I'm very happy with my Dell one.

Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW or the Apple cinema 20” Wide Screen, both use the same panel but the Dell supports analogue inputs as well and also has better scaling options for watching HDTV and playing out of ratio games. The Apple on the other hand does look absolutely stunning.

There is a in depth review of both in a head to head over at Anandtech

For sheer out performance though, the Dell has the Apple beaten in the review.

Yep, I've got an UltraSharp. We have both at work and they are way way better that normal TFTs.

The USB ports on the monitor are surprisingly useful too.

I have found the Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW for £380 in the UK. Can anyone beat that?

PPS, I can think of another way of photographing wind but that involves lighting it....

:coat:

formac 1900 platinum dvi. i know this is a 19 with the same res as a 17 but my flatmate has one and i cannot say enough about it. they're amaaaazing, the colours are brilliant.

here's a linky for ya.

I've got the Dell 2405FPW. Which I would highly recommend, in CS its a pleasure to work on. Absolutly stunning monitor with a great resolution of 1920x1200

Dell 2405

Has a handy set of card readers (Including CF) in the side as well as USB 2.0 ports. VGA/DVI connector etc etc

Prices had dropped and could be picked up for around £650, I don't know if that's still the case though.

noah said:
formac 1900 platinum dvi. i know this is a 19 with the same res as a 17 but my flatmate has one and i cannot say enough about it. they're amaaaazing, the colours are brilliant.

here's a linky for ya.

It seems Formac also do a 20" version

http://www.formac.us/p_bin/?cid=solutions_displays_gallery2010_01

I am not sure about the Mac look but if the screen is accurate in colour and brightness as they claim I would not mind the design to much

The 24" Dell is too large for me, 20" is as large as I need and want so if I go the Dell route it will be the 2005FPW

i wish i had got the 2405 i have the 2005 atm which u can get for 275+vat on aria special deals. im happy with mine, my friend calibrated it with his spyder thing and it was almost spot on anyway :) id buy one again and still may by a 2405 and use the 2005 on my little pc :)

Steve said:
if the screen is accurate in colour and brightness as they claim I would not mind the design to much

ive only used the older 18 inch, but it was better than my 19 inch crt at the time. i believe that this monitor is used by many professionals in the graphic design business as a replacement for the apple ones. (source: my auntie :D ...but then she is a designer ;))

I would use aria for the Dell monitor if I was based in the UK but getting delivery and aftersale service from them in Germany will be a pain. I could use the German Dell website but the cost on there is quite a bit more than several places in the UK.

I have just spent a while looking at the Formac 20" and reading reviews, its seems to be very good but the company has a bad reputation (on the web at least) for aftersale service plus I have yet to find a German stockist.

oops, yes I forgot about the Gemany bit, sorry :)

Back