I need help which Nikon

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I have decided to buy a new Nikon and wish to get the best possible body I can, I have a budget of £150ish and would like, I think an F4 , I have seen some go though you know who at about that figure.

I have all the AF bodies from F50 through to F90X, also an FE and FG, I like the FE very much, but now wish to purchase my last model and do not want to make a mistake. I do have lenses to compliment both AF and Manual, but would think that manual use would drive my decision and if AF is available that would count as a bonus.

I would like your help, but please do not quote loads of models per thread, if your could, I would be grateful if you would recommend one body and give a brief summary as to why this model.

I thank you in advance and I am sure this will make interesting reading to other film users.(y)

I think if you want the best and you want an F4 then get an F4, I don't think you can go wrong really they offer everything a photographer could want for both manual and auto focus, great build quality, ergonomically well designed and they look SEXY........

In fact I am looking at getting one myself this year.

Cheers

Andy

PS. More than you want to pay I know but everything he sells is in great condition.

http://vintageclassiccamera.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_25&products_id=3214

Last edited:
It seems like you've already got your heart set on the F4. Go for it!

Another vote for the F4. Although I don't currently own one, I've used them in the past and they are superb cameras. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer a traditional shutter speed dial rather than push-button/LCD displays which are the norm these days, so for me this is another plus with the F4.

A very good addition to your existing Nikon bodies.

The only issue with the F4 is that the standard screen is just plain ground glass, which might be a pain for focusing manual focus lenses. Additionally, it only has one AF point and the AF system is quite primitive, compared to any modern DSLR or even the F90X. It may count as a bonus, but if it is difficult and unpleasurable to use, you might as well not have it. I think it has an electronic rangefinder, but these are not a replacement for a proper split image screen.

I'd say possibly F3 if you have your heart set on the Nikon professional bodies, or perhaps an FE2/FM3A as the ultimate evolution of your like for the FE. That said, these all tend to hold stronger prices (especially the last two) than an F4. Additionally, with the big battery grip, the F4 would be a much bigger and heavier camera than your FE.

Just re-read your original post. If auto-focus isn't crucial to you, then I would go for the F3 instead as this is better suited for manual focusing than the F4.

Alternatively, for a fully mechanical manual-only camera which will operate without batteries (apart from the meter) then I'd opt for the FM2 which can be picked up for the kind of price you had in mind.

What is it about the FE that makes you like it so much? Form factor, weight, aperture priority with manual speeds? Needle match metering? If there is a particular characteristic of the FE that you favour, it might help hone down what models.

Many thanks for all the posts so far, some very interesting points and food for thought.

"...purchase my last model..."

Good luck with that....I've thought that many times and it's turned out to be anything but my last!

Might be worth thinking about the F100 as an alternative? More modern than the F4 and very highly regarded all round.

Personally, I love the FM/FE series and think they are in many ways the pinnacle of SLR design, but I don't have any AF lenses so I don't have the same motivation to get an AF body. I can certainly see the appeal of the F4 and co, though their size and weight is not so appealing.

I have and still use a F4.

Focusing with manual lens is not that much of an issue, the F4 does have a focus aid in the top of the view finder to aid you, however it is very sensitive.

Yes it does only have one AF point but like all things once you get used to it, it does not present any problems. I have been using mine to photograph sports cars at Oulton Park for the last 3-5 years without an issue.

The camera is a beautifully designed and fits so well in the hand and balances very well with most of the Nikon lens range.

F4 auto focus was appalling, I used one for a couple of years and it was slow and unreliable (compared to the EOS1.) It was the start of the end for Nikon, until the D3 came out. Manual focus all the way.
If you want one then get one but the FM2 would be lighter to carry around.

Last edited:
F4 auto focus was appalling, I used one for a couple of years and it was slow and unreliable (compared to the EOS1.) It was the start of the end for Nikon, until the D3 came out. Manual focus all the way.

Givvover, the F5 is comparable with any camera by any manufacturer ever made in the history of anything...:LOL:....and still is.
and that was 16 years ago, not many af-s lenses then though..:D

I used to have an FE2 years ago then upgraded to an F3HP I thought the F3HP was the best camera ever, Sold it and moved to Canon Digital but always regreted selling it so I've just bought a mint boxed one can't wait to get the lenses.

I used F4 as a pro for years,had no problem with auto focus :)

I know it is a while ago, but, I thought I would update you on what I purchased.

All your very thoughtful comments were taken into account and I ended up buying a Nikon F3, but not only that also a Nikon FA to support it, together with Nikkor 28mm f3.5, 50mm f1.8 and 35-70mm f3.3-4.5 Manual lenses.

Now looking for a good condition MD-4 and MD-12, as someone said it is never ending.

Many thanks.

Richard.

If your after a winder for the Nikon FA then your best looking for a MD-15 as it was the one made for the camera. You can use the winder to power the camera even if there are no batteries in the camera itself.

I think there are some compatablily issues if you want to use MD-11/12 check on the Mir site. :)

with a series E lens, surely they could've at least shelled out a little bit for one with a decent AI/AIS spec!

:bonk:

If your after a winder for the Nikon FA then your best looking for a MD-15 as it was the one made for the camera. You can use the winder to power the camera even if there are no batteries in the camera itself.

I think there are some compatablily issues if you want to use MD-11/12 check on the Mir site. :)

Nick, you are right, I already have the MD-15 for the FA, the MD-12 is for my FM2:D.

Back