Beginner I need help :)

Name
Abby
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey, I'm just starting a photography course and I am really new to this! Can someone please send me a link or help me, I need to know what type of lens is used to specific types of photography.
Thank you!

Hi Abby and welcome to TP! It's really hard to help knowing so little about you, your camera, and the sorts of photography in your course. When I started (a long time ago), a 50mm lens was the best starting point for maximum flexibility and cheapness. If yours is the sort of course that still encourages the use of film cameras like the Pentax K1000, then I'd suggest a Pentax 50mm. But most modern cameras have some sort of "kit" zoom lens (eg 18-55 in APS-C cameras), and you should be able to achieve a lot with those. Good luck, any way.

ChrisR, thanks so much for responding to my plee for help :)
I don't have camera yet and the course is just a freelance photography course.
It really only covers SLR's and DSLR's.
My first assignment gives me a list of equipment, i.e. different types on lenses, filters and other equipment along with 10 scenarios that I have to match the equipment with.
I'm just stuck on what the best type of lens is for different types of photography.
The scenarios vary from photographs of artwork, sport, food and lots more.

I'm going to be brutally honest here, basing my comments on both of your posts.

It sounds as though you may be trying to run before you can walk from the description of the course.

I'd either enrol at a local night collage and take basic photography lessons or follow an online course (plenty about).

You really ought to understand kit, how it works and the technical basics of photography like exposure before attempting to learn specific genres.
Much more so if this is for business, which it sounds like the course is.

I'm going to be brutally honest here, basing my comments on both of your posts.

It sounds as though you may be trying to run before you can walk from the description of the course.

I'd either enrol at a local night collage and take basic photography lessons or follow an online course (plenty about).

You really ought to understand kit, how it works and the technical basics of photography like exposure before attempting to learn specific genres.
Much more so if this is for business, which it sounds like the course is.

This^

I don't want to sound like a party pooper, but taking on a freelance photography course without any proper photography experience is exactly the same as taking on a journalism course without knowing how to read or write.

Get a camera and learn how to use it, learn what you like to do, then see if you really fancy a career in it.

As above, hello and welcome. It sounds like a bit of a strange assignment. In theory you could use a tilt shift for landscape or food photography (or possibly even portrait photography) or a 70-200 zoom for landscape, portraits or sport. I have seen a few wedding photos with ultra wide angles, so is there a right answer, and if so who decides? Maybe as people who know a lot more than me have said above, it might be better if you get a camera first or even before that do some further reading? Best of luck whatever you do decide though.

Homework questions.. generally better approached from the point of view of having at least attempted the answers and then seeking advice as to whether your answers look about right.

Asking flat out for the answers rarely goes down well. Combined with not revealing full details of the question and a successful outcome is looking even less likely...

Last edited:
...and to play devils advocate, you can use pretty much any lens for anything you want, depending where you're standing...

It seems Abby didn't like the responses, she didn't come back after the day after asking.

Back