I need more length !!!

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought that would grab your attention! :LOL:
I'm looking to get into motorsport, so I think I need a lens with more reach. I'm looking at canon 100-400 or maybe sigma 50-500 anyone got any of these and would like to share your views , or any other comments would be great
cheers
chris
(y)

Looking at your existing lenses I'd go with the 300mmf4 'L' and a 1.4x convertor for when you need that little extra !, stunning lens and a cracking convertor

Alan.

I would go with Gaelicsrorm and try the Canon 300mm f4 it really is a belter for the money and works well with the geniune canon 1.4 Extender. The 100-400 can be a bit soft from about 350 onwards, otherwise a very good lens with IS.

The Sigma 50-500 I have not owned one but it is f6.3 at the 500 end. Two freinds have had them and one traded for a 300f4 and one traded for a 100-400.

However I am sure that the would be more qualified people on the Forum to give their views and experiences with the Sigma.

:canon:

I had a 100-400 and couldn't get on with it. I didn't like the push pull and ended up getting rid. The 300 f/4 is a cracking lens, the other half has one. That and a converter will give you plenty of reach and also the converter can be used on the 70-200 to give you a slightly longer zoom. I use my 70-200 with a converter almost half the time.

The other radical thing to suggest is to try some motorsport photography with your 70-200 and work out what you think is missing - then you can make an informed choice about lenses.

Paul

I had a 100-400 and couldn't get on with it. I didn't like the push pull and ended up getting rid. The 300 f/4 is a cracking lens, the other half has one. That and a converter will give you plenty of reach and also the converter can be used on the 70-200 to give you a slightly longer zoom. I use my 70-200 with a converter almost half the time.

The other radical thing to suggest is to try some motorsport photography with your 70-200 and work out what you think is missing - then you can make an informed choice about lenses.

Paul

thanks paul
that was my one concern about the 100-400 the push-pull focussing. i do have a 1.4x converter already. so might try that with my 70-200 . but still might keep an eye out for a deal on the 300f/4

(y)(y)
chris

Looking at your existing lenses I'd go with the 300mmf4 'L' and a 1.4x converter for when you need that little extra !, stunning lens and a cracking converter]
This is good advice - I have this combination, and it works well and cost me less then £400 on fleebay

My copy of the 300 f4 is the sharpest lens I have, but when you look at the lens it is the most beaten up one I have....

The IS version may not be worth the expense - given that your subject is moving - fast

Well I took the plunge and invested in a 100-400 on recent trip and had no problems using it at all, in fact the push pull thing I quite liked.
Sound advice on the 300mm, although if I went prime, I may ask for an slightly faster 2.8, although there is seriously huge price hike involved :) Although looks like you already own the 70-200 2.8 so maybe it's worth it !

Well I took the plunge and invested in a 100-400 on recent trip and had no problems using it at all, in fact the push pull thing I quite liked.
Sound advice on the 300mm, although if I went prime, I may ask for an slightly faster 2.8, although there is seriously huge price hike involved :) Although looks like you already own the 70-200 2.8 so maybe it's worth it !

The other thing to bear in mind is that the 300 f/2.8 is over twice the weight of the f/4.

Back