I played here 60 years ago......

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Aunt Mary's house from 1933 onwards......

4383ecc9.jpg
[/IMG]

the 'baby' grandfather clock now resides in my brother's house in Brittany

Is that a 'Charge of the Light Brigade' picture above the fireplace?

She must have been quite well off?

Is that a 'Charge of the Light Brigade' picture above the fireplace?
She must have been quite well off?

yes it is

lovely old lady
as a teenager worked in a kennels [the hunt?]
then quit to raise 4 siblings when parents died very young TB etc
quite a usual thing after WW1 when Fathers never returned
never married - what a shame/waste

always cried poverty [yeah-right]
died at 93 - me and my bruv were executors so we KNOW what she had..:naughty:

I also like the 'certificate?' hung on the wall from the picture rail, which is just out of sight.

Interesting. What's the framed certificate John?

Mary's brother Alexander [Alec] shared the house
he had a zillion Nat Geo magazines - together with boxes of old "Steamship'' mags
when he died, she found he didn't leave her a penny :LOL:

so she threw ALL his stuff in the bin.....family huh..:razz:

what is terrible, I remember he had 100's of glass slides [positives] of his WW2 times in Egypt [tanks] which you looked at with a holder to the light ....all gone too..:(

so the certificate 'could' be National Geographic Society as the word lenghts look about right
668df618.jpg
[/IMG]

another view.
those were the days of quiet Sunday dinners at Auntie's --- long gone
f3726c54.jpg
[/IMG]

Will - the other Uncle - who married a 'common girl' - aah family scandal..:LOL:
love the stereo and the IKEA cupboard
0f6b0e45.jpg
[/IMG]

.........can you tell I'm bored waiting for the *** postman...?

so she threw ALL his stuff in the bin.....family huh..:razz:

LOL. I've been an executor twice and vowed I'd never do it again. Unbelievable petty squabbling from people you'd least expect it from.

I think you'll find that's the charge of the Scots Greys at Waterloo. Painted by Elizabeth Thompson in 1881 - it's called 'Scotland Forever'......!

Sir you are absolutely right...!

I recognize it now from one of your links...(y)

it figures --- as she was the Daughter of Alexander Craig Wilson who lived in Dunoon, Scotland.....and her Grandfather was connected with the Army in Greenock [I'm still researching]

Great peice of older works

Last edited:
Sir you are absolutely right...!

I recognize it now from one of your links...(y)

it figures --- as she was the Daughter of Alexander Craig Wilson who lived in Dunoon, Scotland.....and her Grandfather was connected with the Army in Greenock [I'm still researching]

John - perhaps her Grandfather was in the Scots Greys (later) regiment. This list of their battle honours might help: http://military-genealogy.forcesreunited.org.uk/1523/Royal_Scots_Greys.

Or this (the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards are derived partly from the Scots Greys): http://www.scotsdg.co.uk/

Great images of a bygone era and a good tale to boot. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread

Great images of a bygone era and a good tale to boot. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread

thanks ....don't get me started - the old dear left behind a shed load of photos

she was the last so no doubt ended up with them all over the years
1931 pearls and boa ... classic..;)
7a9290cd.jpg
[/IMG]

Back