i saw an EOS 1000d yesterday

Yes it's below the 450D series as a kind of 'entry to the entry level' camera.

It's designed to attract people who a) can't afford a xxxD series camera and b) don't want to carry around a bigger DSLR like a 450D or 40/50D

Its a replacement for the now discontinued 400D.

It's not. The 450D is the replacement for the 400D. The 1000D is a new level, just like the 5D was.

Thats what the Canon rep told me :shrug:

Thats what the Canon rep told me :shrug:

He's wrong then. It's a different line of camera, Canon's range goes like this:

Lower entry level: 1000D
Entry level: 400D, 450D
Consumer: 40D, 50D
Prosumer: 5D
Professional high speed: 1D MKIII
Professional full frame: 1Ds MKIII

Perhaps. The 400D is definately discontinued though.

Perhaps. The 400D is definately discontinued though.

Yes, but as said, it was replaced by the 450D.

Why are Canon more expensive than their Nikon equals? IE the new 50D is in the same price bracket as the D300, instead of the D90! (OK the D300 has been out a few months but even so, the D90 isn't in the same price bracket as the D300.)

He's wrong then. It's a different line of camera, Canon's range goes like this:

Lower entry level: 1000D
Entry level: 400D, 450D
Consumer: 40D, 50D
Prosumer: 5D
Professional high speed: 1D MKIII
Professional full frame: 1Ds MKIII

You're right. However, I was having a chat with a camera-store owner who was selling the 1000D at a slightly higher price than the 450D. When I asked why, he said it was because Canon had priced them ridiculously.

Given that, I can see the confusion! [Especially because the 450D is a very attractive camera; it's better than most entry levels I'd say].

Frankly I just feel sorry for anyone shelling out more for the 1000D rather than getting the 450D and saving a few quid.

Matt,

What's your honest opinion of it.....especially if you've got any experience of others for a comparison.

Bob

havent got any experience of other dslr's so cant really compare. i personally love it as its a massive difference to the fuji s5600 i had before.

tbf im still learning on the whole photography front so my pics are no where near as good as what most people on here produce.

havent got any experience of other dslr's so cant really compare. i personally love it as its a massive difference to the fuji s5600 i had before.

tbf im still learning on the whole photography front so my pics are no where near as good as what most people on here produce.

Thanks Matt....seems like it's a nice step up from one of the better spec P&S's. Take your time and learn the basics...it pays dividends in the long term.

Bob

They have priced it at this price to help it not sell. As crazy as this sounds, the 450d has been out for longer than the 1000d. Canon want to have stocks ready in stores for Christmas, then they will start droping the prices of it, and offering cashback to make it more attractive to purchasers. That or they are not wanting to sell them?

Back