I think I am being scammed

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
Well I have my video camera for sale on Gumtree and someone called Jennifer is trying to buy it through Paypal (I havent given my details yet) at the asking price, but want it sent to the US.
They also reckon they know postage costs already without a weight, all sounds very dodgy to me.

And as I typed the first post, I have another wanting me to send it to London, Paypal again, and none have asked for any details about the camera.... I may have a bit of fun today.

The gumtree T's & C's are on your side. Tell them politely to f*** Off.

BTW you're not 'being scammed' until you fall for it. Someone is assuming you're an idiot - just prove you're not and get on with your life.

For my personal enjoyment, give a little back, well I would do but they have gone very quiet since I told them I wouldn't send until the transfer had completed

Insist on Paypal Friends and Family gift if they want to pay by Paypal.. You wont be scammed then.

Doesn't that remove any paypal protection you may have?
I think it removes the buyers protection, as they cannot make a claim about goods not arriving or as described because you know the seller as a friend or family member.

Pretty sure it was a scam. I also had a response to an ad for a camera lens on Gumtree from Jennifer. She too wanted me to send it overseas. She also wanted my email address. I told her that I did not ship overseas only to a UK address I can verify as genuine and that I did not give my email address to any stranger. All response was sent via Gumtree. After my reply to her I heard no more!

I used to get them daily on gumtree, send ot hear, send it there ect ect. Until one day. I chap said he wanted to buy my camera but for me to send it to germany, I asked him where he was located? Bolton he said, I told him he was in a spot of luck as I was travelling from stoke on trent and going to Bolton that afternoon, I said I can meet you if you like? Needless to say I heard nothing back from him. I then vowed never to sell on gumtree ever again.

I used to get them daily on gumtree, send ot hear, send it there ect ect. Until one day. I chap said he wanted to buy my camera but for me to send it to germany, I asked him where he was located? Bolton he said, I told him he was in a spot of luck as I was travelling from stoke on trent and going to Bolton that afternoon, I said I can meet you if you like? Needless to say I heard nothing back from him. I then vowed never to sell on gumtree ever again.
Why would that stop you selling on gumtree?
I've sold loads without issues.
You just ignore messages like that one.

I've has some success with selling cars on there but for the majority it seems to be scammers and blaggers, I find other platforms better and less clogged with dreamers. It does irritate me so I choose not to use the platform to sell.

I think it removes the buyers protection, as they cannot make a claim about goods not arriving or as described because you know the seller as a friend or family member.

But they can claim their account has been hacked and reverse any payments...

It doesn't. But having said that I have yet to be scanned online. How much of that is luck and how much did to me being way who knows!

Luckily for me I listed it on ebay too for the max selling fee of £1 and it sold, paid for within 2 minutes and all gone well, From now on I reckon I will swerve Gumtree

Luckily for me I listed it on ebay too for the max selling fee of £1 and it sold, paid for within 2 minutes and all gone well, From now on I reckon I will swerve Gumtree
I've only ever sold one item for about 20 on Gumtree via PPG and that went fine. But if be nervous about selling for much more via that route unless I had some other methods of identifying the buyer such as LinkedIn or work email address.

Back