I think i'm happy with this 1!!

Really!! No feedback!! Come on peeps give me something!! Shrug

Good effort but a bit too small in the frame in my opinion, would also look much better on a natural perch, if it is your feeder just tie a suitably sized branch to the wooden support and the birds will perch on it, giving a more natural looking shot. I think #2 is the best shot of the four

They are bit small in the frame.

Try to get closer or use a long lens, but closer is the main aim in my experience. Depending on your kit cropping too much usually looses quality of the pic.
Try to isolate the bird and when cropping try to give it some room to look into, like the goldfinch crop does not really work as all the room is behind it.
If possible shoot with the light behind you, can help with shadows and exposure, like in the collared dove shot because metering has picked up the dark background, shutter open longer white/light area has blown

hope that goes some way in to help (y)

Last edited:
Thanks, don't want to come across as rude by bumping the thread just wanted to no how I did!
Back to drawing board I think! Having trouble getting that sharp close up! Just cant seem to get the shutter speed high enough!!

I'm by no means an expert, but try upping your ISO to give you a faster shutter speed.

Jonathan.

Thanks, don't want to come across as rude by bumping the thread just wanted to no how I did!
Back to drawing board I think! Having trouble getting that sharp close up! Just cant seem to get the shutter speed high enough!!

You are not being rude, ask questions that what we are here for, sometimes its busy and posts slip to the bottom very quick, adding the sub heading critique will also help as there a lot of users that will go out of their way to help (y)

RKC said:
You are not being rude, ask questions that what we are here for, sometimes its busy and posts slip to the bottom very quick, adding the sub heading critique will also help as there a lot of users that will go out of their way to help (y)

Thanks for the vote of confidence RKC, I shot these in my garden as I don't want to go out into the wild so to speak until I can produce good shots from the garden where I feel comfortable!
I shot these at 500iso I think and backed off from full zoom on my sigma 150-500 as I thought it may come out a bit sharper!! Would it help to crop the young finch a bit more?

Thanks for the vote of confidence RKC, I shot these in my garden as I don't want to go out into the wild so to speak until I can produce good shots from the garden where I feel comfortable!
I shot these at 500iso I think and backed off from full zoom on my sigma 150-500 as I thought it may come out a bit sharper!! Would it help to crop the young finch a bit more?

How much did you back off the siggy its got a good rep, the more you crop the more potential there is to loose quality, can you hide yourself a bit in the garden its surprising once they get used to you how close they will come.
Try your lens at 450-500 and see how much you can fill the frame with the bird.
Then start cropping you will quickly see the limitations of your kit (y)
As for cropping more than you have try it and see what it like (y)

How much did you back off the siggy its got a good rep, the more you crop the more potential there is to loose quality, can you hide yourself a bit in the garden its surprising once they get used to you how close they will come.
Try your lens at 450-500 and see how much you can fill the frame with the bird.
Then start cropping you will quickly see the limitations of your kit (y)
As for cropping more than you have try it and see what it like (y)

Here goes!! weather its a good photo or not its the best i've taken so am very pleased with it and it has given me the bug to get better!!(y)

IMG_0588 by mjb-1979, on Flickr

Back