I think I've done something incredibly stupid

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I have an HP 250 G6 laptop, which I really like but the ac3168 wifi board inside is limited to a maximum (theoretical) speed of 433Mb/s with real speeds of around 250Mb/s. On the HP owners forum someone said they had increased the speed of their wifi by replacing the ac3168 with something faster so I thought I'd give it a try.

I looked on Intel's web site and chose what I thought would be a good alternative and, as they're not expensive, bought one. Taking the laptop apart and plugging in the new board (it's an M.2 socket) was straight forward but when I powered the computer up I couldn't get it to recognise the new module. The problem is that having put the original module back in hasn't fixed it - even the old board isn't recognised by the OS (W10/64).

I suppose I've killed something on the mobo but thankfully everything else is working fine and temporarily I'm using a USB adaptor.

Anyone got any words of wisdom for me?

Oh, and there's no need to tell me I'm a pratt/idiot/dunderhead/etc as I already know that :)

Steve

Pick the phone up ring HP customer service,tell them what you have done ,grovel ,plead stupidity and hope they take pity on you.
I find it works most times

Forums have got a lot to answer for! ;)

No need to do anything so drastic as reinstalling windows.

First thing to check would be to make sure you have the correct drivers installed for your new card.

Also make sure it is seated correctly and that any antenna wires are correctly fitted.

Go to your network and internet settings and see if your new card shows up also whilst there go to the advanced network settings/change adapter settings and make sure your new card/connection is enabled.

Is it completely invisible to Windows - i.e., is it missing from Network Adapters in Device Manager?
You could also test the hardware using a bootable Linux USB stick with a recent distribution (e.g. the current Ubuntu should see and support this card).

Last edited:
These are notoriously awkward to fit correctly, I would suggest re-seating, making sure it is fully inserted before locking down. Does it show as option in the BIOS ?

Just make sure all the antenna cables are properly pushed in, the card is properly seated and that you didn't physically break anything (unlikely I would say). I bet it will something simple.

Even if that is a no go, you can still buy and plug in some USB wifi dongle that will do the same or better job. There is really nothing to panic about.

Make sure you have the correct drivers installed

I downloaded the new module's drivers from Intel's web site and installed them once the hardware was in place. Now that the old module is back in I have made sure the original driver is installed again.

I spent quite some time chasing around the drivers in the hope that was the issue. I fear not (n)

No need to do anything so drastic as reinstalling windows.

First thing to check would be to make sure you have the correct drivers installed for your new card.

Also make sure it is seated correctly and that any antenna wires are correctly fitted.

Go to your network and internet settings and see if your new card shows up also whilst there go to the advanced network settings/change adapter settings and make sure your new card/connection is enabled.

I'm pretty sure the module is fitted correctly as it is secured in place by a machine screw that also locates the board. It's worth another look though. The antenna cables are defo fitted correctly - they connect with a slight click and can't be pulled out by the wire.

The wifi board doesn't show up anywhere in Windows but I haven't checked the BIOS yet.

Just make sure all the antenna cables are properly pushed in, the card is properly seated and that you didn't physically break anything (unlikely I would say). I bet it will something simple.

Even if that is a no go, you can still buy and plug in some USB wifi dongle that will do the same or better job. There is really nothing to panic about.

I bought a wifi/bluetooth dongle yesterday and it is working okay but I'd rather have the real thing :)

Here are a couple of screenshots I just took. I removed the dongle I'm using before taking these.
2021-03-23.png
2021-03-23 (1).png

As you can see, the onboard module isn't visible on either screen :(

Still, you have given me a glimmer of hope that all is not yet lost so I will keep on trying :)

OK try the following.

Go to device manager > click on STEVE-LAPTOP > Next left click on action from the top menu > select scan for hardware changes - let windows do its thing, then shut down and restart your laptop.

Let me know how you get on

Here are a couple of screenshots I just took. I removed the dongle I'm using before taking these.
View attachment 313055
View attachment 313056

As you can see, the onboard module isn't visible on either screen :(

Still, you have given me a glimmer of hope that all is not yet lost so I will keep on trying :)
What's below Software devices on the first screen? Is there anything under Unknown devices?

you might have blown the socket, it might be worth removing the laptop battery and letting it sit for a while to make sure the MB is completely drained of power.

OK try the following.

Go to device manager > click on STEVE-LAPTOP > Next left click on action from the top menu > select scan for hardware changes - let windows do its thing, then shut down and restart your laptop.

Let me know how you get on

Done that a few times - no joy :(

HP has hardware diagnostic tools (including a network card scan) you can run from Windows and (maybe more useful here) from the UEFI ('BIOS'):

Have you enabled the M2 socket within the BIOS? Also what build of Win 10 are you currently using? I have the latest 20H2 build on my laptop, there maybe a compatibility issue, type winver into the search bar next to the start button and press enter and it will show you the version of Windows you are currently on

Last edited:
Also HP used to provide Softpaq Download manager for updating their laptops now superseded with HP Image Assistant, might be worth downloading that and running it to see what drivers etc it throws up for installation

Hi folks, I have exhausted all of the suggestions above to no avail. I think I have blown something hardware wise so it's off to the repair shop on Monday. Hopefully it won't be too expensive ... but I have a bad feeling about this.

I'll set a £100 limit on the repair and learn to live with USB dongles for WiFi and Bluetooth if it's more.

Thanks for all the help :)

HP has hardware diagnostic tools (including a network card scan) you can run from Windows and (maybe more useful here) from the UEFI ('BIOS'):

Tried that but the software reports the network card isn't installed. I think this points towards a hardware failure.

Have you enabled the M2 socket within the BIOS? Also what build of Win 10 are you currently using? I have the latest 20H2 build on my laptop, there maybe a compatibility issue, type winver into the search bar next to the start button and press enter and it will show you the version of Windows you are currently on

Yes, I can't see any function to enable the M2 socket in the BIOS. The BIOS can't see the network card. I've downloaded and installed the drivers from the Intel web site but it doesn't make any difference.

Windows version is W10x64 Home, Version 20H2 (installed 20/08/2020) and build 19042.870. Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Also HP used to provide Softpaq Download manager for updating their laptops now superseded with HP Image Assistant, might be worth downloading that and running it to see what drivers etc it throws up for installation

I have several HP programs but none of them recognise the network adaptor as being installed. This is a hardware problem, I fear :(

I went through something similar with the cellular modem card in a Thinkpad, which I think was probably bricked by a firmware update. I tried the sorts of things you have done, but nothing worked. I hadn't cracked the case and sent the laptop back to Lenovo, who replaced the card. I was a bit irritated at the time that they wouldn't just send me a new card to try, but after reading this I suspect that might have been just as well! Good luck with the repair.

@Retune: This definately didn't correspond to an update.

The fault is almost certainly due to me installing an incompatible network card and causing a hardware failure. Anyway, the repair shop can have it in the morning and I'll wait to see what they say ... and how much it's gonna cost.

Back